• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm Assign Boarded Ship to Companion Corrupts That Companion

Weirdness 1 is that a couple of skills are marked red, as if they're being penalised by an item or by being assigned to too good a ship, though she's not on a ship.
Skills show as red any time they're lower than the character's actual skills.
This could be because there is something deliberately decreasing her skills.
But it could ALSO be because something like Fixed - Officer Skill Contribution with Auto Skill System OFF | PiratesAhoy! where skills increase, but they're not being reset.
If that second one is the case, I need to know exactly when and how that skill increased so I can replicate it and see why it didn't reset like it should.

Weirdness 2 is that originally she was reputation "Damsel", then I went and claimed a promotion. This adds 5 to your reputation, and when you gain reputation, officers who are actively with you at the time get a portion of it. So a few of my officers have gone up a grade or two over time. This one dropped straight to "Femme Fatale" when I got the promotion.
I do want to edit the "Gain Reputation for Officers" code some time, but at the moment I am completely unfamiliar with how that works.
Can you post that as a separate Bug Tracker entry including the savegame from which you replicated it?
At least then I would have what I need to try and fix it. :doff

Skills show as red any time they're lower than the character's actual skills.
This could be because there is something deliberately decreasing her skills.
There shouldn't be. She wasn't in command of a ship beyond her abilities; she wasn't in command of anything, being as she was one of my shore party officers. And she had no items which decrease her skills. I've never seen this in any officer recruited from a tavern or from the streets, only in this one who was a captured pirate. And they've had problems reported before, I believe.
I do want to edit the "Gain Reputation for Officers" code some time, but at the moment I am completely unfamiliar with how that works.
Can you post that as a separate Bug Tracker entry including the savegame from which you replicated it?
Not if you're going to change the shared reputation. I like that feature. :p It's why I had the "Damsel" assigned when I went to collect the promotion, I was trying to raise her reputation along with mine. Again, other officers are behaving themselves, it's just this reformed pirate who is causing trouble.

There shouldn't be. She wasn't in command of a ship beyond her abilities; she wasn't in command of anything, being as she was one of my shore party officers. And she had no items which decrease her skills. I've never seen this in any officer recruited from a tavern or from the streets, only in this one who was a captured pirate. And they've had problems reported before, I believe.
You have a screenshot of her?
If she is a surrendered captain, then it is intentional that Leadership and Grappling(?) are decreased by 1.

Not if you're going to change the shared reputation. I like that feature. :p
I have zero intention to change it to something worse than it is now.
While I do want to change it to add more functionality to it, I don't know when I'll be able to do so.

First step is to understand how it currently works. Since you mention it doesn't seem to work as intended, we need to know why.

My eventual wish is to have "good" officers share reputation increases with the player and to have "bad" officers share reputation decreases.
That means basically keeping the existing functionality, but having the existing alignment attribute actually mean something.
Now it is "just there".

You have a screenshot of her?
If she is a surrendered captain, then it is intentional that Leadership and Grappling(?) are decreased by 1.
Yes, those are the ones. So if I want a decent boatswain or first mate, I should not hire captured pirates.

I have zero intention to change it to something worse than it is now.
Depends on what you mean by "worse".

My eventual wish is to have "good" officers share reputation increases with the player and to have "bad" officers share reputation decreases.
That means basically keeping the existing functionality, but having the existing alignment attribute actually mean something.
Now it is "just there".
Whereas I rather like the idea that you can bring "bad" officers round to your way of thinking by having them active with you when you get reputation increases. This means that eventually a low reputation officer whom you hired will eventually be fit to command a companion ship. The same applies if you're "bad" and want to bring "good" officers round, of course. So from my point of view, you do intend to change it to something worse. ;)

Yes, those are the ones. So if I want a decent boatswain or first mate, I should not hire captured pirates.
Captured anything, not just pirates.

I don't know WHY that is intentional, by the way. Never even knew that feature existed until last year. It would be easily removed.
Anyway, those officers can still gain up to maximum experience. They'll just have two skill points less than they used to.

Depends on what you mean by "worse".
Time to move this here: Planned Feature - Balancing and Repurposing Reputation Gain | PiratesAhoy!

i tried without success, from the savegame i posted, you have to attack the only enemy ship in sight (sao jorge i think) surrendered ship. assign companion "Sanjon -- pirate captain" to the captured ship, that is what caused it in the first place
Weird stuff in your savegame:
- Why is your main character name " Blackbeard" with all those leading spaces?
- How come you have SO MANY "citizen" characters as officer? That should not be possible.
I think this game may have been started BEFORE the Beta 4.0 public release!

I played through your described sequence of events, both with and without first executing the console command I suggested in my previous post.
BOTH times, I could not replicate the problem you describe.

I strongly recommend you to make a clean reinstall of the latest modpack version and start a New Game.
You may want to wait until after this Sunday as I intend to post a new version with more fixes very soon.

In the meantime, this is issue is "Cannot Confirm" and will be archived.

As far as I can tell, this problem should no longer occur.
Strongly recommend getting the latest version and STARTING A NEW GAME: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP | PiratesAhoy!

If you do get "invalid officers" again, let us know IMMEDIATELY!
Some extra error checking code was added to track them down more easily.

hey!
so I did a full clean reinstall of the game, and I started playing, it looked like it was going smooth but after a boarding, it crashed again, I'll post everything I have here

savegame: -=Player=- QuickSave 4

so, steps to reproduce:
1. board the ship and take the two chests inside the boarding animation
2. talk to surrendered captain and ask for the gold in the trunk
3.lock the captain in the cargo hold
4. go into goods and "take all"
5. assign captain <cant remember name>, the First Mate with the green aesthetics
6. leave the exchange UI
7. crash --> look at the error log i guess?
8. profit

thank you very much

Attachments

• Build Info.txt
    167 KB · Views: 163
  • compile.log
    37.6 KB · Views: 103
  • error.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 102
so, steps to reproduce:
Thanks for posting all the details. Those definitely help a lot with investigating! :onya

I loaded your savegame and did retraced your steps, but did not get a crash.

Do you get this crash every time you try?
If so, are there any settings that you have changed compared to the Build Defaults?

i tried 2 times and yes, both times happened.

im playing in IronMan mode with cheats enabled = 1 and i modified some of the options but ONLY inside the game UI,

i modified some of the options but ONLY inside the game UI,
That may be relevant. What options did you change?
If you're not sure, you can also upload the file named "options" from your main game folder.

@garganteon: Even with your "options" file, I could not replicate the crash.
I did notice you have "garbage" in that file, which can lead to strange situations.
Delete it, start the game, then set your preferred options again.

@Pieter Boelen well, i cant think of anything that is causing that garbage aside from that im running the game under wine (winehq.org) since that options and save files are from a fresh reinstall using the latest update (18 june 2016).
else i cant think of anything else which could be causing such chaos in my copy because there is nothing else i did =(

also, what do you mean by gargabe? is it strictly related to the game content (corrupted files or whatever) or to the actual code needed to run the game? that would allow me to search for a cause, maybe.

any other tips i could use? install some redistributables or force some windows version or anything?

its really crap i cant really play the mod, i really loved it

anyhow, tyvm for all the time you are taking to evaluate this issue and help :)

@Pieter Boelen well, i cant think of anything that is causing that garbage aside from that im running the game under wine (winehq.org) since that options and save files are from a fresh reinstall using the latest update (18 june 2016).
else i cant think of anything else which could be causing such chaos in my copy because there is nothing else i did =(
Doesn't need to be anything you did. The game sometimes just starts messing up the bottom of the options file.
This is for no reason we have ever been able to figure out, but it can cause all sorts of insanity.

Whenever that happens, remove the file, reset your settings and everything should be fine again.
It happens once in a while, but is easily solved by doing that. :yes

also, what do you mean by gargabe?
Open the file in Notepad and look at the very end:
Code:
video.brightness=0.0000000apcancel=vk_s‘@k_multiply

Doesn't need to be anything you did. The game sometimes just starts messing up the bottom of the options file.
This is for no reason we have ever been able to figure out, but it can cause all sorts of insanity.

Whenever that happens, remove the file, reset your settings and everything should be fine again.
It happens once in a while, but is easily solved by doing that. :yes

Open the file in Notepad and look at the very end:
Code:
video.brightness=0.0000000apcancel=vk_s‘@k_multiply

1. well, its not "sometimes" its messed with it, its everytime i try to play it...
anyhow, i should just delete the option files and reopen the game and set up my preferences again?

2. I'm sorry but i dont have the least idea of what that code means so...w/e

3. thank you very much, ill try these things

1. well, its not "sometimes" its messed with it, its everytime i try to play it...
As long as that garbage is in the file, it will keep messing things up.

anyhow, i should just delete the option files and reopen the game and set up my preferences again?
Yes.

I'm sorry but i dont have the least idea of what that code means so...w/e
I'm not entirely sure either. But if you open it in Notepad, you see REALLY weird characters, e.g. garbage:
upload_2016-6-27_14-13-19.png

No clue what that is. And I'm pretty sure the game itself has no clue either. ;)

thank you very much, ill try these things
Good luck!

@Pieter Boelen i just tried that, error showed up "engine.ini or options file is missing"

pressed "ok" and the game closed

im trying to open the game from the config.exe file

edit: nevermind, opening from engine.exe did the trick

Back