• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Aztec Curse Bugged?

Banana Beard

Landlubber
I have many hours in this "mod." (If you can even call it that at this point.) It's incredibly well executed and very enjoyable. I would like to thank everyone involved for their contributions in helping push one of my favourite games to heights that it has been pushed to with this overhaul. :love

Onto my issue that's rather small but does really pull me out of it sometimes. The Aztec Curse, while I really like the idea of it and how it's implemented, there are some weird quirks to it that really don't make any sense and I can't tell if it's intentional or not. If I board a ship at night I get a huge 300HP boost, this is great. What isn't so great is immediately after mopping the floor with everyone on the first stage and going below deck - because of how the coding works I lose the 300hp boost and get rekt because being indoors isn't considered at night? Is this right?

If it is, I would like to request that someone who doesn't mind doing so would kindly edit the coding. I would do it myself if I knew how. It only make sense that the HP boost for the player AND crew members be a permanent 24 hours of each day even if indoors with the Skeleton model swap or not. OR the hp boost ONLY be active at night and only night for the whole night regardless of if the player is interior or exterior. Whichever is easiest and less work I guess. xD

It's just the mechanics of the curse are way too specific and honestly ruin the fun of a really cool feature bit. :ko

Bonus Request: Not sure if this is possible or if its too difficult. I think all boarding stages should be considered exterior, because it just LOOKS way cooler if you and your crew of undead are rampaging through some innocent merchants ship. The Black Pearl crew members can do it at the end of the NH MQ, so why can't we!

Thank you for your time.

hello .. are you referring to the NH mod on Potc? I have yet to get there, unfortunately I can't help you, but surely some Buccaneer here on the forum will answer your question .. They did a crazy job with NH I fully agree with you .. hello and good life

The Aztec Curse, while I really like the idea of it and how it's implemented, there are some weird quirks to it that really don't make any sense and I can't tell if it's intentional or not. If I board a ship at night I get a huge 300HP boost, this is great. What isn't so great is immediately after mopping the floor with everyone on the first stage and going below deck - because of how the coding works I lose the 300hp boost and get rekt because being indoors isn't considered at night? Is this right?
Did you watch the first PotC film?
If you recall: cursed pirates only turn skeleton in MOONLIGHT.
I figured: there's no moonlight when you're below decks.
So no bonus points there. ;)

My thinking is: it's supposed to be a feature, not a cheat.
You CAN (ab)used the specifics of the curse your your own gain.
BUT there are drawbacks and limitations also.

You know what they say:
"No Risk, No Reward".
Also known as:
"No Guts, No Glory".

;)

If it is, I would like to request that someone who doesn't mind doing so would kindly edit the coding. I would do it myself if I knew how. It only make sense that the HP boost for the player AND crew members be a permanent 24 hours of each day even if indoors with the Skeleton model swap or not. OR the hp boost ONLY be active at night and only night for the whole night regardless of if the player is interior or exterior. Whichever is easiest and less work I guess. xD
Wut?
Why?
I'm not helping you do THAT.
That makes my beautiful curse WORSE!
That turns it into too much of a CHEAT!

Relevant code from PROGRAM\NK.c (edit with regular Microsoft Notepad or Notepad++):
Code:
void CheckCharacterCurse(ref chr)
{
    float x,y,z;
    bool UnCurse = false;
    bool DoCurse = false;
    if(!CheckAttribute(chr, "location")) return;
    ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(chr.location)];

DoCurse = Whr_IsNight() && GetAttribute(lcn, "environment.weather") == "true";
    if(DoCurse && GetAttribute(lcn, "environment.curse") == "false")
    {
        DoCurse = false;
    }

if(CheckCharacterItem(chr,"cursedcoin") && GetCursedCoinCount()>0)
    {
        if(!CheckAttribute(chr, "model.old"))
        {
            if(DoCurse)
            {
                chr.model.old = chr.model;
                if(!CheckAttribute(chr, "model.cursed"))
                    chr.model.cursed = GetCharacterCursedModel(chr);
                SetModelFromID(chr, chr.model.cursed);
                ChangeHPBonus(chr, 300);
            }
        }
        else
        {
            if(!DoCurse)
            {
                UnCurse = true;
            }
        }
    }
    else
    {
        UnCurse = true;
    }
    if(CheckAttribute(chr, "model.old") && UnCurse)
    {
        SetModelFromID(chr, chr.model.old);
        DeleteAttribute(chr, "model.old");
        ChangeHPBonus(chr, -300);
    }
}
If you can manage to read some of that, you MAY have a CHANCE to do what you want for yourself instead.

But @Grey Roger:
Please don't change the mechanics of the Aztec Curse in the official New Horizons!
That is MY curse! :wp

It's just the mechanics of the curse are way too specific and honestly ruin the fun of a really cool feature bit. :ko
Maybe it ruins your fun.
But that's because curses aren't supposed to be fun.

I am having PLENTY fun with it! :razz

Bonus Request: Not sure if this is possible or if its too difficult. I think all boarding stages should be considered exterior, because it just LOOKS way cooler if you and your crew of undead are rampaging through some innocent merchants ship. The Black Pearl crew members can do it at the end of the NH MQ, so why can't we!
Certainly possible.
But why?
It doesn't match the movie the curse is inspired by.

Much better would be to REALLY replicate the "skeleton in moonlight ONLY" mechanics.
But THAT really IS beyond the realm of ordinary possibility.

Maybe with @ChezJfrey's and @Mirsaneli's new engine?
Or perhaps via @Hammie's quest of adapting the TEHO engine to PotC:NH?
Most certainly not in the original 2003 Storm 2 engine by Akella though.

Shame, that.
I admit. :(

Did you watch the first PotC film?
If you recall: cursed pirates only turn skeleton in MOONLIGHT.
I figured: there's no moonlight when you're below decks.
So no bonus points there. ;)

My thinking is: it's supposed to be a feature, not a cheat.
You CAN (ab)used the specifics of the curse your your own gain.
BUT there are drawbacks and limitations also.

You know what they say:
"No Risk, No Reward".
Also known as:
"No Guts, No Glory".

;)

Wut?
Why?
I'm not helping you do THAT.
That makes my beautiful curse WORSE!
That turns it into too much of a CHEAT!

Relevant code from PROGRAM\NK.c (edit with regular Microsoft Notepad or Notepad++):
Code:
void CheckCharacterCurse(ref chr)
{
    float x,y,z;
    bool UnCurse = false;
    bool DoCurse = false;
    if(!CheckAttribute(chr, "location")) return;
    ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(chr.location)];

DoCurse = Whr_IsNight() && GetAttribute(lcn, "environment.weather") == "true";
    if(DoCurse && GetAttribute(lcn, "environment.curse") == "false")
    {
        DoCurse = false;
    }

if(CheckCharacterItem(chr,"cursedcoin") && GetCursedCoinCount()>0)
    {
        if(!CheckAttribute(chr, "model.old"))
        {
            if(DoCurse)
            {
                chr.model.old = chr.model;
                if(!CheckAttribute(chr, "model.cursed"))
                    chr.model.cursed = GetCharacterCursedModel(chr);
                SetModelFromID(chr, chr.model.cursed);
                ChangeHPBonus(chr, 300);
            }
        }
        else
        {
            if(!DoCurse)
            {
                UnCurse = true;
            }
        }
    }
    else
    {
        UnCurse = true;
    }
    if(CheckAttribute(chr, "model.old") && UnCurse)
    {
        SetModelFromID(chr, chr.model.old);
        DeleteAttribute(chr, "model.old");
        ChangeHPBonus(chr, -300);
    }
}
If you can manage to read some of that, you MAY have a CHANCE to do what you want for yourself instead.

But @Grey Roger:
Please don't change the mechanics of the Aztec Curse in the official New Horizons!
That is MY curse! :wp

Maybe it ruins your fun.
But that's because curses aren't supposed to be fun.

I am having PLENTY fun with it! :razz

Certainly possible.
But why?
It doesn't match the movie the curse is inspired by.

Much better would be to REALLY replicate the "skeleton in moonlight ONLY" mechanics.
But THAT really IS beyond the realm of ordinary possibility.

Maybe with @ChezJfrey's and @Mirsaneli's new engine?
Or perhaps via @Hammie's quest of adapting the TEHO engine to PotC:NH?
Most certainly not in the original 2003 Storm 2 engine by Akella though.

Shame, that.
I admit. :(
I can understand your logic and you have explained your stance on this feature well enough I suppose, so I will not drag this discussion out.

While I'm here I might as well ask another question that I just never figured about this build.

How do you actually leave the Maltese Abbey dungeons?

Once you fall down into the maze I can never find a way out, maybe it's bugged for me. There is one loading screen I found, along one of the many long corridors there is one in particular which is heading down to some water. Once I cross that loading screen threshold it just takes me to the exact same maze. But if I try to turn around back through where just came it just becomes an invisible wall forever which leaves me even more clueless?

Any straight up SPOILERS so I can actually make use of the chest loot you get there? Am I suppose kill every single monk? CAn I juSt USe SomE CHeAT sO i CAn TElePort OuT??? :modding

Any explanation on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Back