• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Bayonetted muskets are seriously bugged

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
I am only talking about the muskets with permanent bayonets in Revolutionary and Napoleonic war periods, not the muskets with detachable bayonets in earlier periods. The issue I am observing:
1. Player's character can equip it and use it, but after entering and exiting combat mode a few times, the character would end up using fist. They won't swing musket or sword anymore. Steps to reproduce:

a. Equip musket
b. Enter combat
c. Fire a shot
d. Exit combat
e. re-enter combat (this time, you will notice your sword is gone and you are swinging the musket itself)
f. Exit combat and let musket reload
g. Enter combat again, this time you will be swinging your own fist. You will be swinging no sword, no musket. Also, you can fire and reload your musket in combat now. (I guess this is a bug in itself).

I believe the issue is that a loaded musket with or without bayonet is regarded as a sidearm (like a pistol), not a main melee weapon (so you can equip a sword and loaded bayonet musket at the same time) while an unloaded musket is regarded as a hand-hand combat weapon (it unequips your sword). I remember in one of the previous versions, musket with bayonet is classified as both a sword and firearm (it replaces sword regardless of whether it's loaded or not). That works a lot better and won't end up fighting with fist at the end.

2. For AI officers, if you give him a bayonet musket (loaded or not) but no sword, he would not equip anything and would not enter fight.

Attachments

• compile.log
    3.7 KB · Views: 46
  • system.log
    428 bytes · Views: 44
  • -=JPJ01=- Martinique. Octopus Bay.7z
    565.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
I tested it very fast and most steps work as intended.
An unloaded musket will be used as your blade.
A loaded musket will be used as your gun.

The situation I can agree with you is when your musket is loaded (and is used as a gun),
you may only have your fists equipped instead of a sword (even if you've got one).

This is very temporary - just until you've fired your musket again.
I'll see if I can do anything. It was rather complicated as I recall it...

Officers I havn't tested yet and not reload while in combat mode.

Two screenshots below show reloading in combat mode bug. The 1st pic, I am in combat and musket is 10% loaded (the blue bar). A few seconds later, still in combat, the gun is 90% loaded. This would only occur when at step g above. I remember it used to be that when you equip a bayonet musket, you won't be able to also equip a sword.

Attachments

• Reloading_in_combat01.png
    Reloading_in_combat01.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • Reloading_in_combat02.png
    Reloading_in_combat02.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
I couldn't repeat that bug. Went through all steps but entering combat with a musket not 100% reloaded always equips the blademusket. (as it should)

This what I've fixed so far: when your musket is loaded and you enter combat you now equip your best blade (and the loaded musket to the hip).
Or rather you equip your best blade already when the reloading process starts.
This was just fists earlier.

Attachments

• sword_loaded_musket.jpg
    sword_loaded_musket.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 41
How about try this:
1. equip your fist
2. equip a loaded musket
3. Enter combat
4. Fire a shot but don't exit combat
5. Now you will notice your gun is being loaded in combat mode

This is what happens to me:

4. fire a shot, then the pistolmketB (a gun) jumps to your right hand as blademketB (a blade).
and that's working every time.

Maybe you have changed the settings for CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING to something else than 1?

I don't even know where to find "CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING" to change. Btw, I did a few more tests. It is FIST that's making difference. If you are normally equipped with sword and firearm then it works as normal. If you are equipped with FIST then you can reload while in combat regardless what firearm you have (pistol, musket etc).

I still can't get it to happen.
Just to be sure do you have latest update installed?

I've been trying some of this:
I am only talking about the muskets with permanent bayonets in Revolutionary and Napoleonic war periods, not the muskets with detachable bayonets in earlier periods. The issue I am observing:
1. Player's character can equip it and use it, but after entering and exiting combat mode a few times, the character would end up using fist. They won't swing musket or sword anymore. Steps to reproduce:

a. Equip musket
b. Enter combat
c. Fire a shot
d. Exit combat
e. re-enter combat (this time, you will notice your sword is gone and you are swinging the musket itself)
f. Exit combat and let musket reload
g. Enter combat again, this time you will be swinging your own fist. You will be swinging no sword, no musket. Also, you can fire and reload your musket in combat now. (I guess this is a bug in itself).

Most of that is true. However, while I am indeed initially armed with a fist at stage g, I can't fire and reload the musket because when I fire it, it changes to the melee version as at stage e.

How about try this:
1. equip your fist
2. equip a loaded musket
3. Enter combat
4. Fire a shot but don't exit combat
5. Now you will notice your gun is being loaded in combat mode
Not for a musket - as @Jack Rackham says, the musket becomes a melee weapon at stage 4.

But that does apply for any pistol other than a musket. If I equip fists and a flintlock pistol, and then fire the pistol, the pistol then reloads. This may be intentional. Reloading a flintlock weapon requires both hands, so you can't do it if one of your hands is holding a sword (nor if both hands are holding the musket as if it were a spear). If you have your fists equipped then you're not holding a sword.

Update: in the course of checking a different issue, I was able to confirm the bug with AI characters. One of my officers was equipped with a bayonet musket and a sword. During boarding an enemy ship, he used his fists. Fighting on one deck had replaced his sword with the melee version of the musket, then he'd unequipped it and re-equipped it as a firearm, leaving him with no melee weapon active on the next deck. The fight there went straight to close-quarters melee, leaving the officer with no chance to fire, so all he had was his fists.

That bug is now fixed. If you got a sword it will be equipped instead of fists together with a loaded musket.
After firing the musket it still changes to a blademusket (with bayonet)

Out of curiosity, are bayonet-less muskets and deattached bayonets (a sword item) meant to interact in any way?

I've tried to see if I could get them to combine or something but no - musket acts as a normal pistol (except for it hanging on your back while your sword is sheathed), and bayonet acts as a normal sword.

Yes a weapon could be either a blade or a gun. And the musket mod is just some switching between.
Here is the fix.

Attachments

• musketB fix.7z
    39.1 KB · Views: 44
Yes a weapon could be either a blade or a gun. And the musket mod is just some switching between.
Here is the fix.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Out of curiosity, are bayonet-less muskets and deattached bayonets (a sword item) meant to interact in any way?

I've tried to see if I could get them to combine or something but no - musket acts as a normal pistol (except for it hanging on your back while your sword is sheathed), and bayonet acts as a normal sword.

If you have both a musket and a bayonet in your inventory, and the musket is equipped as a firearm, then when you fire it, it should turn into a musket with bayonet plugged into the barrel which you then auto-equip as a blade. When you put your weapons away, the musket should revert to a firearm and the bayonet by itself should become your equipped blade. This certainly works - I've used this type of musket a lot, both for myself and for officers, and none of us ended up using fists.

Hi gents. Thanks for the hotfix. How do I install this fix? @MrMister: there are essentially 2 versions of bayonet&musket. If you play prior to revolutionary period, the attachment of bayonet is not permanent. After firing, the bayonet gets added onto musket. When you put it away, it become separated again. For periods from revolutionary period onward, the attachment becomes permanent. You won't see bayonet hanging on your left side like a sword anymore.

That's right, it's too different weapons.

Just copy in the file quests_common.c over the original one in PROGRAM/QUESTS.
You could backup the original one first just to be sure. (rename it)

Confirmed, it works perfectly. I used the same savegame which I'd previously used to confirm the problem. This time, when the officer had fired his musket and then re-equipped it as a firearm, he equipped his Bosun's Choice instead of his fists. Thanks again, @Jack Rackham! :onya

Good. If you plan a new update soon I have a few minor fixes.
It's some palms that had got their texture files changed and a missing COL-file.

Attachments

• JRH fixes june 2022.7z
    159.1 KB · Views: 45
@Jack Rackham One of the files has a name slightly different from the original in the folder. Please see the screenshot below. Not sure if it is a big issue.
1. HUT_ISLE_EVENING3.COL (NEW)
2. HUT_ISLE_EVENNG3.COL (ORIGINAL)
1656278117117.png

Back