• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Bell ringing and driving me crazy

Rip0sta

Landlubber
Ok, so i dont know how many actual NH creators were playing on iron man mode, but dude... This kind of gameplay is basicly about turning your ship in right direction, making x20 time and waiting for land ho! Because i use max time speed my game minutes are running like 3-4 per 1 real time second and every god damn 30 game minutes this madafakin bell is ringing so you can easly assuse that i need to listen it every ~10 seconds. How can i turn off that sound and who is such a miserable, mean creature that came to idea to introduce that wonderful ringing bell feature?

My second question is: Can i somehow change in any setting file to stop this automatic turn off my x20 speed? Wind direction is changing constantly and every time it goes back to x1 time speed so i need to click RRRRRR again...

Last edited:
Ok, so i dont know how many actual NH creators were playing on iron man mode, but dude... This kind of gameplay is basicly about turning your ship in right direction, making x20 time and waiting for land ho! Because i use max time speed my game minutes are running like 3-4 per 1 real time second and every god damn 30 game minutes this madafakin bell is ringing so you can easly assuse that i need to listen it every ~10 seconds. How can i turn off that sound and who is such a miserable, mean creature that came to idea to introduce that wonderful ringing bell feature?

My second question is: Can i somehow change in any setting file to stop this automatic turn off my x20 speed? Wind direction is changing constantly and every time it goes back to x1 time speed so i need to click RRRRRR again...

Time accelleration should only be cancelled when you have an encounted (floating objects, sail ho or land ho), otherwise I think that is a bug.

For the bell sound, you can search the scripts for bHourBellPlayed

PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\LogInterface.c at line ~776 contains the code for bell playing.

Time accelleration should only be cancelled when you have an encounted (floating objects, sail ho or land ho), otherwise I think that is a bug.

For the bell sound, you can search the scripts for bHourBellPlayed

PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\LogInterface.c at line ~776 contains the code for bell playing.
Thanks a lot, but do you know how could i change that time accelleration to stop being set to default x1 at all? I just want to have an absolute controle at it, without game forcing me every few seconds to haste time again. It would be so cool if i could just direct my ship, press x20 accelleration and go make some tea in the kitchen without worrying that it will go back to x1 speed after short time. I understand the risk of that.

To silence the bells, copy this version of "LogInterface.c" into "PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE". (Technical detail: the whole bell-ringing section is governed by a check on variable "bCheckForBells", so this version sets the variable to false right before the check.)

Time acceleration: sorry, I have no idea where that's controlled or how to stop it changing.

Attachments

• LogInterface.c
    34.8 KB · Views: 88
i already dealt with that x20 accelration - i just use auto-repetitive macro on my mouse - 1 click and it always automaticly goes back to x20 as long as i dont turn it off

Now i need to figure how to stop this camera position change after land ho!
It always changes its position to look in front of my ship so i need to turn that camera 180 degrees back to look on island that im going to. Just another stupid feature, which literally have 0 sense and exist only in purpouse of triggering player

Also it would be nice to have camera moving with x1 speed when i move my mouse when im using time accelration - its so hard to move my camera now on x20.

Last edited:
i already dealt with that x20 accelration - i just use auto-repetitive macro on my mouse - 1 click and it always automaticly goes back to x20 as long as i dont turn it off

Now i need to figure how to stop this camera position change after land ho!
It always changes its position to look in front of my ship so i need to turn that camera 180 degrees back to look on island that im going to. Just another stupid feature, which literally have 0 sense and exist only in purpouse of triggering player

Also it would be nice to have camera moving with x1 speed when i move my mouse when im using time accelration - its so hard to move my camera now on x20.

Time acceleration is controlled by the Set/GetTimeScale functions.

Decoupling controls from time acceleration would indeed be better, but this is hard coded in the engine and so not something we can easily change right now.

Thanks for that, @Hammie! :onya That gave me a starting point for a Windows search.

'SetTimeScale' is called by 'UpdateTimeScale()', which in turn is called by 'ResetTimeToNormal()', all in "PROGRAM\NK.c".

'ResetTimeToNormal' is called from:
. CCCDirectSail.c, line 850, function Randomshipevent()
. seadogs.c, line 890, function OnLoad()
. DailyCrewUpdate.c, line 390, function DailyCrewUpdate(), for random brawl due to double rum ration
. LAi_mutiny.c, line 618, function MutinyDeck_WorldmapReloadStartFade()
. AIShip.c, line 4627, function Ship_UpdateParameters(), for sails luffing
. sea.c, line 1332, function Sea_FirstInit() (and a couple of other lines, but commented out)

@Rip0sta: you could try commenting out some of those lines to see if that helps. You probably don't want to block the one in "AIShip.c" - that's for when the wind has changed to a direction that no longer drives your ship, so there's no point in staying at x20 time and wasting several hours of game time going nowhere - or even possibly sailing backwards!

Out of curiosity, when are bells supposed to ring?

I'd understand if they rang every in-game hour, but the damn bastards ring every 15 to 45 in-game without a clear pattern, which at 20x speed translates to up to every one to five seconds.

I guess, they were supposed to work as the original naval indication of every half an hour. And the original time indication divided the 24 hours into six sections of 4 hours, which was a duty shift. The bell struck from 1 to 8 bells (nautical term) during those 4 hours.
But I don't think, the game uses certain times of day (i.e. 0:00, 0:30, 1:00 and so on), but every half an hour the player has spent sailing.

Back