• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Best Settings on Modern Windows?

noddynod443

Landlubber
Hello gentlemen and landlubbers,

I was wondering if anyone has and tips or advice for running Age of Sail 2: Privateer's Bounty in its best possible performance on modern windows? I am using windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

I am also using a program called dxwnd to run the game in a windowed mode. The only to things I notice that seem to be a slight problem is that the game locks up for a few second when click different buttons in the main menu, and the graphics of the water textures seem to have very fine red "bands" or "ribbons" going through it which hurts the eyes a bit. I don't remember the water looking that bad before, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

dgVoodoo2

Try this one, and don't forget to set the executable compatibility settings to XP SP3. The game is old and is rendered via ddraw.dll, not d3d*.

Also make sure to read the New Models thread, I posted various settings modifications and tweaks here and there.
Do you have any setting modification or tweaks off-hand? The New Models post is 14 pages long.

I am also using a program called dxwnd to run the game in a windowed mode.
Sorry cant help. I'm running PB fine full screen, on an old XP box, and thinking of moving it to a win7/64 bit build. I was wondering, after running the windows 7 compatibility wizard, did you try normal full-screen?

Update FYI. (Sorry I should have replied earlier, but this still might help someone)

I have been running patched AOS II : Privateers Bounty on the below build for over a year.

Win7 64bit Home, I3-6320 3.9 GHz, ASRock Z270 MB, DDR4 16GB, Samsung dual SSDs, GeForce GTX 1660 6GB.

Runs well. Only needed to change the game’s .exe compatibility to win98. Full screen. Also adjusted GTX video card setting to smooth out graphics.

Does anyone run AOSII-PB under Win 10?

Sorry to necro this thread, but some of us are still playing AoS IIPB, and yes I am running It on W10. Recently added dgVoodoo v2.81.26 to smooth out the graphics, and It even looks better now, but worked fine with just the out-of-the box and patch settings.

Cheers

Yes, just wanted to agree that the DGVoodoo wrapper (most recent version 2.8+ should be used due to buggy auto-switching to windows during cutscenes on older builds) makes many old games like CoAS smooth and playable whereas before under Windows 10 with modern DirectX extensions these games were unplayable with more micro-stutter than you can shake an API stick at. I gave up hope of ever playing Age of Pirates 2 on a modern video card until someone here told me to use the DGVoodoo wrapper (very easy to set up, btw). Total game changer. It's nice to be able to play unmodded old Storm games in 4K widescreen with perfectly smooth framerates (though they should be locked at no more than 60 FPS due to physics issues, preferably using MSI Afterburner's RivaTuner for best experience).

Edited: also wanted to mention the nifty upscaling features of dgVoodoo. In CoAS, for example, you can play at 4K modifying the engine.ini file in CoAS. However, UI elements (messages, action icons, etc) are normally far too small to read easily on most displays (even my 65" one) at 2160p. But using the upscaling feature of dgVoodoo forced to 4K and leaving your engine.ini config at 1080p in the CoAS folder, you get glorious 4K for the graphics but now the UI elements are much larger and more readable than before. Alas, this breaks cutscenes though which are severely cropped and I know of no way to fix this (suggestions welcome) and even the developer of dgVoodoo at VOGANS hasn't responded to my post about it. Only using dgVoodoo with unforced resolution and setting 4K in the game's ini fixes broken cutscenes but then you have the tiny unreadable UI.

Last edited:
Back