• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Best Tweak you could ever make to this game

Fleebusia

Sailor Apprentice
To be perfectly honest I was about an inch away from uninstalling this game out of frustration caused by the games moronic AI programming as it relates to fleet pathfinding. In respect to that observation I'm not sure what boggles the mind more- the fact they left the AI in this state, or the fact nobody seems to care that Naval combat is essentially a save-scum simulator due to the idiotic nature of fleet pathfinding. I'm still actually in a state of bewilderment that no web search has returned a single result for this issue. It's like nobody seems to care that the player fleet has an 80% chance to ram each other to death every single battle. Absolutely mind-boggling stuff.

Well, I no longer need to throw my mouse against the wall each battle. I found it. The golden piece of code that makes Naval combat with a Fleet actually playable.

In Progam\SEA_AI\AIship.c

float fHP = (1.0 - fSlide) * fPower * 0.001;

Set that to whatever you want. All I know is at that value ships who collide into a 50 knot tornado-style pirouette will come out perfectly unscathed. It bothers me that I need to set such an excessive value for this but the AI are simply too bad to make any level of damage viable. At least this is my current perspective. I may increase it slightly moving forward, but given its almost a guaranteed occurrence that often happens multiple times per encounter, I actually feel okay with it like it is.

So, likeminded players, Rejoice and enjoy focusing on naval combat like never before. No longer do you need to reload 20 times per battle because your idiot fleet keeps ramming each other to death. Happy days! If I had some Rum I would drink it. By far the best breakthrough I've had making this game play less like a save-scum simulator.

To be perfectly honest I was about an inch away from uninstalling this game out of frustration caused by the games moronic AI programming as it relates to fleet pathfinding. In respect to that observation I'm not sure what boggles the mind more- the fact they left the AI in this state, or the fact nobody seems to care that Naval combat is essentially a save-scum simulator due to the idiotic nature of fleet pathfinding. I'm still actually in a state of bewilderment that no web search has returned a single result for this issue. It's like nobody seems to care that the player fleet has an 80% chance to ram each other to death every single battle. Absolutely mind-boggling stuff.
I know @ChezJfrey made updates to the CoAS AI for @modernknight1's ERAS mod.
Sounds like you might enjoy giving that a try instead.
@Mirsaneli can probably help you further.

I know @ChezJfrey made updates to the CoAS AI for @modernknight1's ERAS mod.
Sounds like you might enjoy giving that a try instead.
@Mirsaneli can probably help you further.
I would certainly hope so. The pathfinding of ships in this version is so astoundingly bad that if I didn't know better I would say they were purposefully programmed to ram into each other lol.

This one tweak has quite literally saved the game for me. I was about to rage-quit it for good after watching half my fleet sink each other without taking any damage from the enemy. No idea how this got through playtesting when it was released. It's both comical and infuriating at the same time, or at least is was until I fixed it. Now, its just comical. :)

Last edited:
This one tweak has quite literally saved the game for me. I was about to rage-quit it for good after watching half my fleet sink each other without taking any damage from the enemy. No idea how this got through playtesting when it was released. It's both comical and infuriating at the same time, or at least is was until I fixed it. Now, its just comical. :)
Glad you found an opportunity to laugh.

I don't know about the playtesting.
Maybe....
No, I just don't know.

Back