• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Beyond New Horizons Alpha Release

Two pieces of good news, two pieces of bad news:

Good news:

Sidestep now detects collision when enabled!! Great job Hammie!!

The cursed coin mechanics seem to work properly!

Bad News:

During Combat, only the player's icon flashes red, not any officers.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 165902.png

Also, sometimes, the sun decides to light everything up in a square:

Screenshot 2023-04-22 161654.png

Screenshot 2023-04-22 161509.png
Screenshot 2023-04-22 161534.png

Edit: New Bug I found:

Sometimes, especially when looking in the direction of an enemy ship during ship combat, if I move the camera around enough, it tends to want to jerk the camera even further in the direction that I am moving it in than it is supposed to and it looks kinda like a stutter too, this seems to be a lot worse in confined areas and areas involving a fort. Sometimes will never even happen on open sea. Screenshot wouldn't exactly do it justice, but wanted to report this here.

Last edited:
Okay, due to the high amount of bugs I am finding, I will post the issues only on the GitHub moving forward otherwise this will be pages of just me talking, lol. See this link to see the latest bugs and then ping me here or comment on the GitHub if you want me to clarify, lol: Issues · PiratesAhoy/new-horizons

Hotfix courtesy of Hammie! This fixes some of the most critical bugs and will be part of the next build. Mainly tortuga/Santiago crashes, fixes flags, fixes map view from glitching out when you have many event logs, and fixes the scroll issues in the gold and store transfer item menus! All good critical fixes! Thanks Hammie!

Attachments

• patch.zip
    9.1 MB · Views: 70
New patch is available:
  • #44 Reduced time progression on the world map to make speeds more manageable.
  • #35 Fixed black screen when entering Tortuga or Santiago port.
  • #36 Fixed "fast scrolling" of amount selectors.
  • #39 Fixed small flags in fast travel menu not being displayed properly.
  • #45 Fixed dialog text disappearing when there are long response texts.
  • #67 Fixed world map encounters not being disposed properly, leading to game corruption.
  • #70 Fixed attack-hit animation not correctly being triggered by quests.
Download patch alpha.8

That #67 took me almost 15 hours of QA testing to find btw, lol. But seriously, thanks Hammie for the critical fixes!

I don´t know if you are also working on the dialog files, but I found two things:

Albin Bonaventure_dialog.h, Zeile 22
I'd rather you just answered some questions for me. (should probably be something like "...rather prefer...")

andre Figaux_dialog.h, Zeile 40
You've done caused too much trouble for my country (either "done" or "caused" plus fullstop at the end of the line)

I don´t know if you are also working on the dialog files, but I found two things:

I'd rather you just answered some questions for me. (should probably be something like "...rather prefer...")

You've done caused too much trouble for my country (either "done" or "caused" plus fullstop at the end of the line)
Any dialog changes should probably go into Build 14 for now. @Grey Roger ^^

Thanks for that, @Bavaria! :onya

"I'd rather you just answered some questions for me." - this is perhaps a bit colloquial but is acceptable. I'll leave that one as it is.

"You've done caused too much trouble for my country" - indeed, "done" can be removed and the full stop should be added. Sometimes you'll see incomplete sentences because the "dialog.c" adds things, but that is not the case here; "andre Figaux_dialog.c" does not add anything to that line.

Beyond that, as you've seen, the "dialog.h" files are plain text, which means you can edit them yourself. That, in fact, is how I first got into modding years ago.

There has been more stuff posted to the GitHub regarding a couple weird bugs I found, but I think I'm starting to get near the point where I've found a good portion of the bugs that will immediately hamper or disrupt gameplay (assuming there are no more Storyline breaking bugs beyond the ones we've already run into which admittedly is a bit hopeful). Glad to be QA testing this out!

Beyond that, as you've seen, the "dialog.h" files are plain text, which means you can edit them yourself.
Sure, I have already figured out that these files can be easily edited as I am doing some translation work... although the number of lines to translate is somehow overwhelming.
In the meantime I have also found out how to handle these "divided" sentences (at least I hope so). Many years ago my first attempt ended in a total mess, more confusing than clearing. :)

New patch is available:
  • #44 Removed wind direction influence on speed on the world map (requires new game)
  • #53 Fixed square white sun
  • #67 Fixed crashes caused by multiple entities being created at the same time
  • #70 Fixed attack animation not being triggered correctly during quests
  • #83 Fixed not being able to damage forts
  • #93 Fixed incorrect animation configuration for some skins
  • #95 Added Isla de Muerte to the world map
  • #103 Always display personal gold on character screen
Download patch alpha.9

Oh, that sounds sweet! Currently I have big issues to play any game of the series on my new win 10 OS but I´ll definitely will give it a try. Thank you so much for the effort, I will install it as soon, as I can.

Hello everyone,

Anyone know why the text in the quest book is not readable due to nations flags and names like in attached print screen? Know of a fix? This does not happen on my laptop. Running alpha 9 patch.

Cheers:cheers
Untitled.png

Hello everyone,

Anyone know why the text in the quest book is not readable due to nations flags and names like in attached print screen? Know of a fix? This does not happen on my laptop. Running alpha 9 patch.

Cheers:cheers
View attachment 42034
We need to update the interface config for the new engine, I think it is already fixed when using the "new"/brown interface, will fix it it for the blue one in the next release.

Hello,

Nice to see that Beyond New Horizon and standalone !

A quick minor observation : after running the installer; at the part where you can select optional stuff (visual studio/unfinished storyline/british uniform/...) the text that describe "Main" mention it is required for Build 14, that could be puzzling considering Beyond New Horizon is not build 14 anymore.
Going to have some fun later when i'll have time to play.

I don't know what I am doing right, but my questbook doesn't have the same problem as Hellyshangel reported.
Is it possible that the different background....?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also use Version 15 + patch 9

Attachments

• Questbook.jpg
    Questbook.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 58
We need to update the interface config for the new engine, I think it is already fixed when using the "new"/brown interface, will fix it it for the blue one in the next release.
I don't know what I am doing right, but my questbook doesn't have the same problem as Hellyshangel reported.
Is it possible that the different background....?
You're using the brown interface. @Hellyshangel is using blue. The problem is in the blue interface. ;)

However, this might be a good place to mention this problem:
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 6th April 2023]

Simon Hanpool's dialog extends outside the box, and that is the brown interface.

About the dialog text that is too long: Is this only in that specific dialog, or every dialog with longer lines?

This was the only dialog so far although I am more or less at the beginning. All other dialogs even with 4 or 5 lines didn't show this problem.

So i am playing the Chronicles of Horatio and got to the quest "The devil and the duchess". I read the guide posted here:

And i got to the following point:

"
AUTO MOVIE - Spanish ship wreck – escape – picked up by the “Indy”.

Auto to Indy - Promoted to Commissioned Lieutenant - tell Pellew you and crew must return to prison.

Crew Agree.

AUTO to prison.

Meet Fort Commander again.
"

Except i don't go to prison, or meet the Fort Commander. The game just freezes at the fort with a weird camera angle like in the print screen:

Untitled.png

At this point the game freezes and i can no longer do anything.

During loading/saving screens i get the message about "You have reached the max number of save games allowed. You must delete a game before you can save a new game". That message was there for a long time and i ignored it until this time and it had no effect. Could still quick save a lot. Could this be a factor in the game freeze? Should i try to manually delete some save games to see if it will go better?

Love these games, love this community, so I'm just going to thank you in advance!

Back