• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

I don't think teaching you to change the UV maps will help too much. It's not something you can do separately; it has to be done as part of the entire re-export process through Maya.
What I can do is modify the UVs myself to make your job easier. I can even add flat surfaces next to or within some of the 3D details, map them to an unused area of a texture, and you can use them to add 2D details.
I think that would work particularly well for the rings on the QAR. How does that sound? :shrug

That sounds awesome.
me.gif
do it to the stern so I can add some skeletons there too. I'm currently working on the front of the captain's cabin and putting the bones on there.There's also skeletons on the bow near the figurehead, but I'm not sure if that one is doable. There's even skeletons strapped to the cage hanging behind the ship. I wonder how many people died to become decoration for the QAR? haha
24.gif

You know the big skeleton figurehead? Apparently that's supposed the be the horned skeleton (the figurehead does actually have small horns) with the goblet and spear on Blackbeard's jolly roger. I totally missed that.
laugh.gif
I'd say the biggest pain in the ass with the QAR is turning her from a nice clean looking ship into a dirty grimey one.
328_skull.gif

The only part which uses deck.tga is the helm. I was planning to move around the UVs so that the wheel can be textured very accurately, so don't worry about that for the moment.
If you want to know which textures are used on which parts, just find the textures in RESOURCE/Textures/Ships, add "_1" to the end of the one you want, and reload the model in GM Viewer.
There should now be plain light grey sections where that texture is meant to be applied. I hope that helps. :doff

Idk, I just wanna darken the helm and that bit around it.
poet.gif

Looks like 63% it is; I like the compromise you've reached there. :yes
Now you just need to modify the mast texture to match it (deckbp.tga), otherwise they look far to black in comparison.

Yeah I had already planned on that.

Do you reckon you could do a bit more than just copy and paste for this texture? I was never a big fan of the Wicked Wench texture, just because the image quality was quite low.
If you could recreate it to a much higher standard, and mix the colours better, that would be a huge improvement. ;)

Ugh. This is your revenge for all the times I harassed you about the Constitution, isn't it? haha
slap.gif

Of course I'll be happy to make a brand new Wicked Wench Texture.

I don't think teaching you to change the UV maps will help too much. It's not something you can do separately; it has to be done as part of the entire re-export process through Maya.
What I can do is modify the UVs myself to make your job easier. I can even add flat surfaces next to or within some of the 3D details, map them to an unused area of a texture, and you can use them to add 2D details.
I think that would work particularly well for the rings on the QAR. How does that sound? :shrug

That sounds awesome.
me.gif
do it to the stern so I can add some skeletons there too. I'm currently working on the front of the captain's cabin and putting the bones on there.There's also skeletons on the bow near the figurehead, but I'm not sure if that one is doable. There's even skeletons strapped to the cage hanging behind the ship. I wonder how many people died to become decoration for the QAR? haha
24.gif

You know the big skeleton figurehead? Apparently that's supposed the be the horned skeleton (the figurehead does actually have small horns) with the goblet and spear on Blackbeard's jolly roger. I totally missed that.
laugh.gif
I'd say the biggest pain in the ass with the QAR is turning her from a nice clean looking ship into a dirty grimey one.
328_skull.gif

The only part which uses deck.tga is the helm. I was planning to move around the UVs so that the wheel can be textured very accurately, so don't worry about that for the moment.
If you want to know which textures are used on which parts, just find the textures in RESOURCE/Textures/Ships, add "_1" to the end of the one you want, and reload the model in GM Viewer.
There should now be plain light grey sections where that texture is meant to be applied. I hope that helps. :doff

Idk, I just wanna darken the helm and that bit around it.
poet.gif

Looks like 63% it is; I like the compromise you've reached there. :yes
Now you just need to modify the mast texture to match it (deckbp.tga), otherwise they look far to black in comparison.

Yeah I had already planned on that.

Do you reckon you could do a bit more than just copy and paste for this texture? I was never a big fan of the Wicked Wench texture, just because the image quality was quite low.
If you could recreate it to a much higher standard, and mix the colours better, that would be a huge improvement. ;)

Ugh. This is your revenge for all the times I harassed you about the Constitution, isn't it? haha
slap.gif

Of course I'll be happy to make a brand new Wicked Wench Texture.
so on the qar will be new deatils?

greate man , thats cool.
when you will have the new poatc , will you put all the new textures on separated files please?
just do it for aop players please...:)
thx :keith :onya

Yeah. I will.

and the QAR has been no uncommon for a ship bell

I know you are trying hard with your English, but I can't quite understand what you said.
dunno.gif

Are you saying the QAR doesn't have a belfry?
we had not noticed that detail, I think it for the bonjourmonami is not difficult to fix.

I don't know if BM really wants to do that though. He's already done so much. On the other hand, I know BM really wants this to be a super accurate Pearl, and so do I. The good thing is that the belfry is just a small piece. So I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to model. Then it would just need a UV map so it can be textured, and then it would need to be stuck on the Pearl. It goes behind the mizzen-mast between the railing and the skylight.

This is the belfry from Barqem1. This one looks similar to the belfry on the Pearl. This is what we need modeled.

[attachment=7066:moddingNGINE 2011-08-31 18-50-04-76.jpg]

And this is where on the Pearl it needs to be.

[attachment=7067:pearl bell.jpg]

Armada, is there any way to just get a belfry off another ship? Or would we have to model a new one and stick it on with locators like a mast?
dunno.gif

Here's a shot where you can see the Pearl's belfry a little better.

This pic also shows me that I need to smooth out the planks on the hull. They're too pronounced. The real Pearl looks a lot smoother.

[attachment=7068:BlackPearl pirateship canons.jpg]

Sorry about missing off the belfry chaps. I would go and put it on but when ever I put Maya on my PC it makes it really slow and hard to use. Armada has the Maya files as well so maybe you could ask him to put it on.

Here's a shot where you can see the Pearl's belfry a little better.

This pic also shows me that I need to smooth out the planks on the hull. They're too pronounced. The real Pearl looks a lot smoother.

[attachment=7068:BlackPearl pirateship canons.jpg]

n, dont do that, its clearly seen that that isnt the real black pearl its just a fast made model for some shoots in the movie, the real pearl doesnt has that smooth hull

Sorry about missing off the belfry chaps. I would go and put it on but when ever I put Maya on my PC it makes it really slow and hard to use. Armada has the Maya files as well so maybe you could ask him to put it on.

Or if Armada doesn't wanna do it, maybe one of you could tell me how to make one on Maya. I'd be happy to do it if i knew how.
I've been wanting to learn to model anyway. A modeling tutorial is one of the tutorials on here that we don't have. For some reason, none of the modelers ever wanna make one.
dunno.gif

Or if Armada doesn't wanna do it, maybe one of you could tell me how to make one on Maya. I'd be happy to do it if i knew how.
I've been wanting to learn to model anyway. A modeling tutorial is one of the tutorials on here that we don't have. For some reason, none of the modelers ever wanna make one.
dunno.gif

when it came to making the models, I used blender and OBJ exported it then did the locators in maya. That's what I'd sugest to do, blender is a very user friendly 3d modelling program.

dunno.gif

when it came to making the models, I used blender and OBJ exported it then did the locators in maya. That's what I'd sugest to do, blender is a very user friendly 3d modelling program.
greate now ill try to help with ship modeling:):D

Thankfully a belfry isn't complex, so I think it will be a relatively easy model to make.

so guys im trying to get some help with the modeling
what version of blender is better, ive download 2.46b
it is good?

Armada, is there any way to just get a belfry off another ship? Or would we have to model a new one and stick it on with locators like a mast? :shrug
It should be easy enough to 'borrow' the belfry from another ship and stick it on the Pearl with Maya; no need for any of that locator business.
The one you showed seems a good match (with a few modifications), so I'll have a look at acquiring it when that ship's captain's not looking... :robber:

I've been wanting to learn to model anyway. A modeling tutorial is one of the tutorials on here that we don't have. For some reason, none of the modelers ever wanna make one. :shrug
I think there are some tutorials around here which cover various things, such as how to correctly model a hull, and how to export through Maya, but there's certainly not a full modelling tutorial for beginners.
That's really because there's a LOT to cover in one tutorial. It would take a modeller a very long time to write up a full tutorial which includes installing and using Maya, modelling, and exporting.

If you really want to get into modelling, I'd suggest installing Maya (or a different program, but you'll need Maya anyway), and starting to experiment.
There are tonnes of tutorials on the web which are Maya-specific, so you're bound to find something that will help you.

Of course, when it comes to making or editing a ship for PotC, that's something which does need a tutorial, especially for the export process.
I would write one up myself, but even I'm not sure I've got the process 100% correct yet. I can't seem to export a ship with locators properly; I only end up with the ship itself. :shrug
While that's fine for fixing models, it won't do for making new ones. So there's a few things that still require experts to explain.

Back