• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

Armada, you're gonna hate me. lol
razz.gif

I need you to make some flat surfaces for the Pearl. So i can add the proper decoration to the stern. The current properties of the texture don;t allow me to do it. I need you to add a surface to every area I marked:

[attachment=7261:gm_view 2011-10-01 23-09-00-40.jpg] [attachment=7262:gm_view 2011-10-01 23-09-47-51.jpg]

So that they can accommodate the decoration show below.

[attachment=7263:4374423946_a338b43a45_o.jpg] [attachment=7264:Untitled-1 copy.jpg]

I finally got the masts the right shade.
me.gif
Now I'll go to work on those stern statues holding the tridents.

Now I know people are gonna whine for some progress shots, so here's a couple of the Pearl featuring FKWOLF555's new sails.
keith.gif

[attachment=7265:moddingNGINE 2011-10-01 23-59-46-67.jpg] [attachment=7266:moddingNGINE 2011-10-02 00-00-07-96.jpg]

razz.gif

I need you to make some flat surfaces for the Pearl. So i can add the proper decoration to the stern.
Well, I guess I can do that for you. It might be easier to simply remap the stern sections to a different part of the texture, but I'm not sure.

However, I'd like something from you in return:
  1. Which do you want first, the work on the Revenge or the Pearl? I need to prioritise them. :hmm
  2. Having seen those photos of the Pearl's stern, do you think you could give her a real wooden texture? Look at how many planks are used on the real thing, compared to those in the hull texture. It would improve the overall quality and realism of the ship, and look great at the same time.

razz.gif

I need you to make some flat surfaces for the Pearl. So i can add the proper decoration to the stern.
Well, I guess I can do that for you. It might be easier to simply remap the stern sections to a different part of the texture, but I'm not sure.

However, I'd like something from you in return:
  1. Which do you want first, the work on the Revenge or the Pearl? I need to prioritise them. :hmm
  2. Having seen those photos of the Pearl's stern, do you think you could give her a real wooden texture? Look at how many planks are used on the real thing, compared to those in the hull texture. It would improve the overall quality and realism of the ship, and look great at the same time.

1. Hmmmm . . . do the Revenge first. She's closer to being done than the Pearl is. You should teach me how to do it sometime so I don't need to keep bugging you.
rolleyes.gif

2. Omg. I'm gonna beat you . . .
whippa.gif
lol -sigh- I guess I can do that . . . Even though I had already textured her with some of the actual Pearl hull and overlapped it with the existing hull texture. How exactly do you propose I do this? There's not enough information from reference shots of the Pearl to make a new hull texture.
dunno.gif
I'm gonna have to look around on the web for wood pictures . . . ugh. lol
urgh.gif
Then you're gonna want me to do the same thing with the Revenge . . .

Don't forget all the other little issues I listed that need to be ironed out.

Ok maybe it won't be quite the pain in the ass that I thought it would be. Check this out. A few slight modifications and we may have out new texture!
icon_wink.gif

wooden_wall_2560x1600.jpg

1. Hmmmm . . . do the Revenge first. She's closer to being done than the Pearl is. You should teach me how to do it sometime so I don't need to keep bugging you.
rolleyes.gif

2. Omg. I'm gonna beat you . . .
whippa.gif
lol -sigh- I guess I can do that . . . Even though I had already textured her with some of the actual Pearl hull and overlapped it with the existing hull texture. How exactly do you propose I do this? There's not enough information from reference shots of the Pearl to make a new hull texture.
dunno.gif
I'm gonna have to look around on the web for wood pictures . . . ugh. lol
urgh.gif
Then you're gonna want me to do the same thing with the Revenge . . .

Don't forget all the other little issues I listed that need to be ironed out.
1. OK, the Revenge comes first. As I've said before, I need to write a tutorial for using Maya to edit and export ship models, but it will take time.

2. Lol, revenge is sweet (and I don't mean the ship) :slap. I don't see how there's not enough info from the reference images you keep finding; even those stern shots look like just the thing you need! As for the Revenge, I don't think you'll need to do the same thing, especially since she's so grimy and has a different colour scheme.

Ok maybe it won't be quite the pain in the ass that I thought it would be. Check this out. A few slight modifications and we may have out new texture!
icon_wink.gif
Now that's what I'm talking about! That'll do nicely! :onya

2. Lol, revenge is sweet (and I don't mean the ship) :slap. I don't see how there's not enough info from the reference images you keep finding; even those stern shots look like just the thing you need! As for the Revenge, I don't think you'll need to do the same thing, especially since she's so grimy and has a different colour scheme.

You're getting a kick out of this, aren't you? Jerk. lol
icon_wink.gif

icon_wink.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about! That'll do nicely! :onya

Except . . . I gotta bend the wood and getting it just the right bend is a pain. -sigh- Hate you. lol
urgh.gif

"Not sure I deserved that."
jack1.gif

Well I only asked you to do it because I'd like to see how the result turns out. This has the potential to look brilliant, you know.
Oh, and I can't let you do all the nagging, can I? :razz

Let me just reiterate that you don't need to do the same for the Revenge. Unless you want to, of course.

About bending the wood, this is what's stumped me before now. I can't find a feature in GIMP which can do this, so I hope you have better luck in PS. :facepalm
Just remember it's probably easiest to cover the entire hull in this wood (as a separate layer), and then cut out the details (such as gunports) from that layer.

Hi there,

about the "bending" of the wood texture, you could try to make a new UV Map and use a tiled texture to greatly improve the amount of detail on the hull.
Only my 2 cent....

bye

No no, there's a simple way to do it on Photoshop Elements 9. It's just getting the curve just right that requires skill. Knowing me, I probably will do the same with the Revenge. And i thought I was almost done . . . lol
modding.gif

And after all this, I still gotta do the Wicked Wench, and for some reason, I've offered to help out with the Dutchman. I have a problem. lol
urgh.gif

I'm gonna take those lines out of the Pearl's sails. The movie doesn't have them, so out they go. But that's a pretty simple task for the spot healing brush.

about the "bending" of the wood texture, you could try to make a new UV Map and use a tiled texture to greatly improve the amount of detail on the hull.
I was thinking about that, but it would be a lot of work to practically remap the entire hull, and I'm not even sure I can do it correctly. :shrug

No no, there's a simple way to do it on Photoshop Elements 9. It's just getting the curve just right that requires skill. Knowing me, I probably will do the same with the Revenge. And i thought I was almost done . . . lol
modding.gif

And after all this, I still gotta do the Wicked Wench, and for some reason, I've offered to help out with the Dutchman. I have a problem. lol :urgh
I know how you feel mate, I do the same. I offer my help in several places, and then look back and realise I've got a huge to-do list. :facepalm
My advice would be not to do it to the Revenge yet. If you're going to change it, at least wait until you've released a first version of the new textures.

So how do you do this in PS? I don't have it myself, but you never know, it might be hidden in plain sight in GIMP, and all I need is to look in the right places.

I know how you feel mate, I do the same. I offer my help in several places, and then look back and realise I've got a huge to-do list. :facepalm
My advice would be not to do it to the Revenge yet. If you're going to change it, at least wait until you've released a first version of the new textures.

So how do you do this in PS? I don't have it myself, but you never know, it might be hidden in plain sight in GIMP, and all I need is to look in the right places.

Well at least I feel like a real modder now. With the recent release of my music pack and now my work on these ships. It's nice to be a part of something. And since I'm doing the Pearl and Revenge, I know they'll be done right. lol Because I'm a perfectionist and psychotic about detail. To tell you the truth, I was never happy with the Pearl's hull, so this is the kick in the ass I need to actually do it. lol
laugh.gif

As for how to bend the wood, in PSE 9, I click on FILTER, then DISTORT, then SHEAR. That lets you bend the image however you want.
me.gif

A texture like the one posted by Legendary_Spider screams literally for that technique, and you can't get that fine details like in the picture onto the hull when you only have max 2048x2048 pixel for the entire lengths of the hull.

But i don't want to diminish the work from you all that went into the Pearl and QAR till now. It is only another way to texture with its own flaws...

Back