• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Black Pearl no smoke and no skeletons?

Alright, I'll re-enable NPC ship damage from collisions. (There's another function, "Ship_MastDamage()", which also disables damage for NPC's, and which won't be disabling it in the update.) I'll use the modified version of "AIShip.c" during the rest of my play of "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and, unless it does something silly, I'll put it into the next update. Then we'll see if anyone else reports weirdness.

But that comment about land reminded me of this:

That screenshot dates back to 2016, when a ship somehow started inside a rock, and probably stayed there because it wasn't taking damage while trying to break out.

Is there a way to disable the Black Pearl smoke? I kept trying to record my game with OBS, and apparently the smoke made it unwatchable with the sheer lag...normally the game lags alot already when recording (I don't have that powerful a graphics card I guess) but now it just can't record properly anymore lol.

Admittedly, the pacing of the scene doesn't match the rest of the film well, but the information revealed more than makes up for it in my opinion.
Truth.

And my favourite scene from the same film...
Cinematically, it is indeed bloody fantastic!

Just don't start thinking about the realism...
"Where does the wind come from?"
"Aren't the Pearl and Dutchman placing themselves in exactly the worst strategic position?"

Of course that second question applies as well to the fight at the end of DMC.
Jack deliberately maneuvering himself to get raked by those triple bow chasers?
NOT smart! :rofl

Fantastic! It works perfectly. Especially with Jack's line, it's impossible not to hear it in Depp's voice.
HA!
Truth again.

Just don't start thinking about the realism...
"Where does the wind come from?"
"Aren't the Pearl and Dutchman placing themselves in exactly the worst strategic position?"
Yes, that always bothered me. Beckett (or his captain who, being master of the ship, shouldn't need to ask Beckett for orders) should have laughed himself silly, then ordered "Fire both broadsides". Or the Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman should have sailed across the bows of Endeavour, firing their broadsides while Endeavour could only fire its forward guns.

But the wind may not be as bad as all that. Look at the flags. The wind is blowing from the port side of Endeavour, which means at the start of the battle it's directly behind Black Pearl and directly in front of Flying Dutchman - and we know how the Dutchman likes to sail into the wind. The pirate ships turn towards Endeavour so that all three ships are sailing across the wind. Whether the sails are pointing correctly for a side wind, I'm not sure, but it's certainly possible for the ships to be heading towards each other like that.

Incidentally, look at the faces of the crew of the Flying Dutchman. They do not look happy! They've just realised that they're free from the curse, and they've probably also just realised that this means they're no longer immortal and they're about to go into battle against a 1st rate ship of the line.

Yes, that always bothered me. Beckett (or his captain who, being master of the ship, shouldn't need to ask Beckett for orders) should have laughed himself silly, then ordered "Fire both broadsides". Or the Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman should have sailed across the bows of Endeavour, firing their broadsides while Endeavour could only fire its forward guns.
Crossing the bows would be best indeed!

Emotionally it's quite cool to see Beckett just freeze like that.
But had they actually fired, it would've HURT the Dutchman and Pearl.
Badly.
Being able to fire ALL cannons is basically the ideal position to be in;
especially when your enemy has less guns and can only fire half of them too.

But the wind may not be as bad as all that. Look at the flags. The wind is blowing from the port side of Endeavour, which means at the start of the battle it's directly behind Black Pearl and directly in front of Flying Dutchman - and we know how the Dutchman likes to sail into the wind. The pirate ships turn towards Endeavour so that all three ships are sailing across the wind. Whether the sails are pointing correctly for a side wind, I'm not sure, but it's certainly possible for the ships to be heading towards each other like that.
True; that'd be possible if the wind's coming from the side.
At 0:42, you can indeed see the yards are mostly in line on the Pearl and trimmed to one side on Endeavour.
That would make perfect sense if the Pearl has the wind from dead astern.
The Dutchman then has the yards trimmed to the other side, which again also (almost) makes sense.
(Excepting that, with the wind from ahead, where DO you trim your yards??.)
But as the Dutchman turns towards Endeavour, the physics start making more and more sense too.

Basically means the Pearl (fastest ship in the Caribbean) has the "weather gauge".
And the Dutchman has a mythical advantage.
So yep, that puts the Endeavour in quite the screwy navigational position.

Just noticed though the number of white caps on the water is basically zero though.
That means there is a wind force 2, or 3 at best; not even a decent 4.
So everything would be going SLOOOOOOW in real life.
(Unlike real life for me right now; I've got an actual Beaufort 9 storming around my flat on the 11th floor! It's exciting. :shock )

On the whole, it does show to me the people making those first three films for sure really did put a lot of care and attention into the whole thing.

Incidentally, look at the faces of the crew of the Flying Dutchman. They do not look happy! They've just realised that they're free from the curse, and they've probably also just realised that this means they're no longer immortal and they're about to go into battle against a 1st rate ship of the line.
In the little bit I saw them, I made it more of a "surprised" or "confused" look; but fair enough.
I do like your interpretation!

That said, if they're still on the crew of the Dutchman, still supposed to ferry souls lost at sea, wouldn't they still have some "magic" on their side?
Still, that's hardly the thing to know when you just merged only to find yourself facing the most cannons you could find anywhere at all! :shock

Is there a way to disable the Black Pearl smoke? I kept trying to record my game with OBS, and apparently the smoke made it unwatchable with the sheer lag...normally the game lags alot already when recording (I don't have that powerful a graphics card I guess) but now it just can't record properly anymore lol.
Get rid of this code in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c:
Code:
    if(HasCharacterShipAttribute(rCharacter, "fog_trail") || IsCursed)
    {
        int puffs_per_second = 10;
        if(SeaCameras.Camera == "SeaDeckCamera")    puffs_per_second = 1;
        for (i=0; i < puffs_per_second; i++)
        {
            PostEvent("CreateCursedPearlFog", delay, "i", rCharacter);
            delay = delay + 1000/puffs_per_second;
        }
    }

Emotionally it's quite cool to see Beckett just freeze like that.
Beckett's reaction is understandable, at least for a while. He expected the Dutchman to fight the Pearl, and at first it looked as though that was about to happen as they sail toward each other. Then the situation changes drastically as both of them head for him.

The captain is another matter. Beckett may be the boss of the EITC and owner of the ship, but the captain is the one in charge of the ship itself. He's the one who should give the order to fire, without needing Beckett's order first. The company boss doesn't micromanage store managers, and the fleet admiral doesn't micromanage captains, not even the one on his flagship. Delegating authority down the line - it's just good business. :p

At 0:42, you can indeed see the yards are mostly in line on the Pearl and trimmed to one side on Endeavour.
That would make perfect sense if the Pearl has the wind from dead astern.
The Dutchman then has the yards trimmed to the other side, which again also (almost) makes sense.
(Excepting that, with the wind from ahead, where DO you trim your yards??.)
In a ship which ignores the laws of physics and can sail straight into the wind, you can trim the yards however you like!

Basically means the Pearl (fastest ship in the Caribbean) has the "weather gauge".
And the Dutchman has a mythical advantage.
So yep, that puts the Endeavour in quite the screwy navigational position.
Not necessarily. The Endeavour should have turned to starboard so that the wind was behind it, putting the two pirate ships into its broadside. Except that then the pirates sailed straight at it, one down each side, saving it the trouble. Endeavour is a 1st rate ship of the line and Flying Dutchman is pretty tough too, so they could probably survive a mutual broadside. Black Pearl is another matter - after a full broadside from Endeavour at point blank range, what was left of the Pearl could probably be finished off with the stern battery, leaving the rest of the battle as a duel between the heavyweights.

If you want to try a similar battle with two big ships one of which has a smaller, more agile ship in support, then the equivalents to Endeavour, Flying Dutchman and Black Pearl are Temeraire, HMS Justinian and HMS Indefatigable respectively, and the equivalent battle is the first one in the "Hornblower" storyline.

The captain is another matter. Beckett may be the boss of the EITC and owner of the ship, but the captain is the one in charge of the ship itself. He's the one who should give the order to fire, without needing Beckett's order first. The company boss doesn't micromanage store managers, and the fleet admiral doesn't micromanage captains, not even the one on his flagship. Delegating authority down the line - it's just good business. :p
Verrry true.

Also ties in with the concept of "captain does NOT do everything by himself in the first place".
Officers are a thing too.
Though admittedly not very relevant in mid-battle...

In a ship which ignores the laws of physics and can sail straight into the wind, you can trim the yards however you like!
:facepalm

Not necessarily. The Endeavour should have turned to starboard so that the wind was behind it, putting the two pirate ships into its broadside. Except that then the pirates sailed straight at it, one down each side, saving it the trouble. Endeavour is a 1st rate ship of the line and Flying Dutchman is pretty tough too, so they could probably survive a mutual broadside. Black Pearl is another matter - after a full broadside from Endeavour at point blank range, what was left of the Pearl could probably be finished off with the stern battery, leaving the rest of the battle as a duel between the heavyweights.
Quite the strategist, ye are! :onya

Or it should have been this way. But the premise of the entire film is how Davy Jones and his magical ship are key to controlling the seas. "Whoever controls the heart of Davy Jones controls the sea."

While logic would dictate that a first rate should be superior to both, the movie doesn't establish it that way. They are able to sink the Endeavour after one salvo.

The scene is disappointing, but still visually spectacular. :D

Still, it's a pity we don't get to see the Endeavour (or Dauntless) in action. It's a little like the Executor starship from Empire Strikes Back, which is the size of Manhattan but is only seen crashing after a single pilot rams his plane into the bridge.

I think it's more their reaction to being normal again after several decades.

Endeavour is a 1st rate ship of the line and Flying Dutchman is pretty tough too, so they could probably survive a mutual broadside. Black Pearl is another matter - after a full broadside from Endeavour at point blank range, what was left of the Pearl could probably be finished off with the stern battery, leaving the rest of the battle as a duel between the heavyweights.

Endeavour vs. Dutchman would be interesting. On one hand the former has superior firepower and durability, while the latter has speed and manuverability on her side, and the ability to submerge and resurface at will.

Turner could maybe simply just go down and then emerge from the Endeavour's stern then rake her from there...

Incidentally, in the game the Black Pearl is made to be "invincible", when this clearly doesn't seem to be the case in the films even during the curse. It isn't made of some tough magical wood. The Interceptor alone managed to put a few holes into the hull. Same as with the Dutchman, which took damage from the Pearl's salvos in AWE. Dutchman gets a buff in the mod, which I understand due to to the stock game's buff on the Pearl and this being the logical equivalent.

Is there really no way I can create a ship duel with a choice opponent in the modded game right from the start?

Last edited:
Let me help out. Stop trying to apply logic to the PotC franchise. Ships travel at the speed of plot. Cursed, or otherwise magical, ships are made of the toughest handwavium. It's almost as tough as unobtanium, but with requisite bits flying about dramatically when hit. And if you think the Pearl or Dutchman aren't made of magical wood, then the respective crews aren't made of magical meat, are they?

On its face, these are the mechanics of lazy storytelling. Crews that can't die, ships that can't be sunk, crews that get all fishy then merge with the superstructure of the ship, swords that make the rigging attack the crew. I won't get into ships whose speed is dictated by dramatic license, because then the entire Star Trek mythos falls to pieces.

Suspension of disbelief is the key. It's the stock and trade of writers. Always has been, always will be. Suspension of disbelief allows us to accept the fantastical. Told in the right way, mermaids are real (though they're still singing sharks in evening gowns and I want nothing to do with them), ghost ships with ghost crews exist, the Fountain of Youth can make us young again or even deliver us from death, etcetera, etcetera. For the most part, the PotC franchise hits these marks, delivering enjoyable escapist storytelling. And escapist storytelling rarely bears up under close scrutiny. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Or it should have been this way. But the premise of the entire film is how Davy Jones and his magical ship are key to controlling the seas. "Whoever controls the heart of Davy Jones controls the sea."
Personally I imagined that Kraken might've had something to do with that.
Plus his ability to ignore the wind and pop up wherever he wants.

Still, it's a pity we don't get to see the Endeavour (or Dauntless) in action. It's a little like the Executor starship from Empire Strikes Back, which is the size of Manhattan but is only seen crashing after a single pilot rams his plane into the bridge.
True, actually.
Seeing the Executor actually DO something would've been quite the sight indeed!

Incidentally, in the game the Black Pearl is made to be "invincible", when this clearly doesn't seem to be the case in the films even during the curse. It isn't made of some tough magical wood. The Interceptor alone managed to put a few holes into the hull. Same as with the Dutchman, which took damage from the Pearl's salvos in AWE. Dutchman gets a buff in the mod, which I understand due to to the stock game's buff on the Pearl and this being the logical equivalent.
If I recall, the Pearl was set as invincible already in the original game.
Probably for the simple reason that she needs to survive your first encounter at Falaise de Fleur / Martinique.

I think the Dutchman in the mod was meant to be as well, but instead just got nuts HP.
Which @Grey Roger has been happily making use of by winning the unwinnable fight with it anyway. :cheeky

Is there really no way I can create a ship duel with a choice opponent in the modded game right from the start?
With some quest code, sure you could.
If you set the ships you want at specific custom locators around an island, you could probably even fully control their positions.
Plus the weather conditions too, of course.

Let me help out. Stop trying to apply logic to the PotC franchise. Ships travel at the speed of plot. Cursed, or otherwise magical, ships are made of the toughest handwavium. It's almost as tough as unobtanium, but with requisite bits flying about dramatically when hit. And if you think the Pearl or Dutchman aren't made of magical wood, then the respective crews aren't made of magical meat, are they?
Hehe; you're definitely rrrrrright on the money there!
They're very much films and not simulations.
What counts more than anything is "Rule of Cool".

Also...
"Handwavium" wins!
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Suspension of disbelief is the key. It's the stock and trade of writers. Always has been, always will be. Suspension of disbelief allows us to accept the fantastical. Told in the right way, mermaids are real (though they're still singing sharks in evening gowns and I want nothing to do with them), ghost ships with ghost crews exist, the Fountain of Youth can make us young again or even deliver us from death, etcetera, etcetera. For the most part, the PotC franchise hits these marks, delivering enjoyable escapist storytelling. And escapist storytelling rarely bears up under close scrutiny. Just relax and enjoy the ride.
Truth be told, while watching, I'm perfectly happy to suspend my disbelief with those films.
They're well-made enough that most lapses don't really bother me.

Doesn't stop me from being entertained when thinking about more real-life implications.
Especially since for the mod here we did try to walk an oddly fine line between "magic exists" and "it's not completely nuts".

That said, I do wonder what stories might be conjured up when there would be serious consideration for realities, even when magic also exists.
Sometimes real life limitations can make for more interesting storytelling.
Or just plain comedy value: Reality Ensues - TV Tropes

Sometimes I fantasize about a historical seafaring franchise that mixes true history, mostly true physics and true legends.
One that could genuinely be imagined as an alternate history to our own; because for the most part, it's actually set in the real world.

I think the main thing that tends to annoy me in film is the ignoring of travel times.
Especially bad in PotC where they seem to jump all over Planet Earth in what feels like half a heartbeat.
Writing stories that actually incorporate distances properly, I think, would help SO much in making them feel more real.

Since we've been using Star Wars as an example anyway, I like how the books of Timothy Zahn handle it.
Right from the start, he's often put bits in there about travel times; from hours, to even days or weeks.
I never realized it so much before, but once I read those bits, I found I really appreciated it.
Helps such a ton to make a full galaxy feel more... galaxy-sized.

Likewise, the modern Star Trek films went really ALL-out in throwing all that out the window.
You can just beam from one end of the solar system to the other while going at warp speeds.
convenient-isnt-that-convenient.gif

I'm reminded also of the making of "Jaws".
Original intention was to show the shark ALL the time.
But due to technical difficulties, most of the times they couldn't make it work.
End result: they had to be far more creative and the movie ended up all the more scary for it!

Similarly, I'm always impressed watching old-school films; and knowing the things you see were REALLY done FOR REAL!
Even such a new one as Cutthroat Island, there's really exceptionally little trickery in there!
And that final ship explosion was FULL-SCALE!
I wonder if that has ever been done before or since. :shock

True, actually.
Seeing the Executor actually DO something would've been quite the sight indeed!
True. We are shown this huge ship that could probably fit an entire fleet inside it, then the next thing you know, it goes poof. :(

Same with Endeavour. This is one reason why I like this mod. I can finally see it in action and rip forts to pieces with impunity like it ought to.

Probably for the simple reason that she needs to survive your first encounter at Falaise de Fleur / Martinique.

I think the Dutchman in the mod was meant to be as well, but instead just got nuts HP.
Which @Grey Roger has been happily making use of by winning the unwinnable fight with it anyway. :cheeky

The Pearl was established as unkillable in the original game, which is why you needed to use the Inca artifact. It's essentially the main plot behind the whole game and also the true motive of Silehard.

Which makes me wonder if the governor himself actually knew of the Pearl and wanted to blackmail Barbossa into serving him with his immortal ship by trying to obtain the artifact...

In the movies though, I think the ship isn't really invincible, just the pirates, otherwise they'd have no incentive for capturing the Dauntless.

If you set the ships you want at specific custom locators around an island, you could probably even fully control their positions.

Is there a way I could make friendly ships automatically fire back if I shot them? I'd imagine this would be the fastest way.

Personally I imagined that Kraken might've had something to do with that.
Plus his ability to ignore the wind and pop up wherever he wants.
He could certainly ignore the wind before he popped up, due to there not being much wind underwater! After surfacing, he ignores the wind, or possibly just uses magic to sail better into the wind than with it.

But the Pearl was set to be not immortal for the end battle. She had a lot of HP but you could sink her even without using the artefact from the temple.

Yes, I'd read the bit in the Wiki which says that it's invincible and you need to run away, which I promptly took as a challenge. The first time I played that quest, I was still in the captured Black Pearl, shot up the Flying Dutchman, and it was she who then ran away. So then I wondered what would happen if I had more firepower. After loading an earlier savegame, I switched to the Sovereign of the Seas before heading for the encounter at Cayman. I fired all my cannonballs at the Dutchman, did a lot of damage, and succeeded in dismasting her. Then I tried switching to chainshot in the hope of knocking off the last few HP, and ran out of powder. I was just trying to move alongside the Pearl to relieve her of her powder and cannonballs, but she had other ideas, fired a salvo of her own, and finally finished off the Dutchman. Which means I wasn't the first person to sink the Dutchman, it was one of my officers!

Have a look at the quest code for "Hornblower", particularly case "French_Battle_Setup". Don't try to make sense of "Tales of a Sea Hawk", alias "standard"!

Sometimes I fantasize about a historical seafaring franchise that mixes true history, mostly true physics and true legends.
One that could genuinely be imagined as an alternate history to our own; because for the most part, it's actually set in the real world.
You mean like pretty well every pirate film except "Pirates of the Caribbean"? xD

I think the main thing that tends to annoy me in film is the ignoring of travel times.
Especially bad in PotC where they seem to jump all over Planet Earth in what feels like half a heartbeat.
Writing stories that actually incorporate distances properly, I think, would help SO much in making them feel more real.
That's fairly normal. Unless something is supposed to happen on the way, narrative generally switches from "here, now" to "there, when the next bit happens" without bothering too much about "in between, where nothing happens".

Since we've been using Star Wars as an example anyway, I like how the books of Timothy Zahn handle it.
Right from the start, he's often put bits in there about travel times; from hours, to even days or weeks.
I never realized it so much before, but once I read those bits, I found I really appreciated it.
Helps such a ton to make a full galaxy feel more... galaxy-sized.

Likewise, the modern Star Trek films went really ALL-out in throwing all that out the window.
You can just beam from one end of the solar system to the other while going at warp speeds.
Well, yes. If you have faster than light travel which enables you to get to another star system in a few days, you're not going to take long getting across a single solar system!

But I do remember, long ago, when "The Next Generation" was the current series, I was in a science-fiction bookshop when I found a book titled "The Next Generation Technical Manual". Reading a bit of the introduction right there, I found the sentence "Star Trek has always prided itself on its scientific and technical consistency". When I'd finished laughing, I bought it as a Star Trek joke book, and on that basis I was not disappointed. (Apparently the reason the captain always gives a whole number warp speed isn't the obvious one, which is that it's a lot easier to say "warp factor four" than "warp factor three and three quarters". No, it's because energy consumption goes up the further away the speed gets from the last integer, going to silly levels at warp 3.99, and then drops back to something a lot more reasonable at warp 4.)

Similarly, I'm always impressed watching old-school films; and knowing the things you see were REALLY done FOR REAL!
Even such a new one as Cutthroat Island, there's really exceptionally little trickery in there!
And that final ship explosion was FULL-SCALE!
I wonder if that has ever been done before or since. :shock
I don't know if anyone else has built a full-size model of a ship just to blow it up. But the old WW2 film "Battle of the River Plate" used real warships. One of them, the Indian navy ship Delhi, actually played herself - before she was sold to India, she was HMNZS Achilles and took part in the real battle.

The Pearl was established as unkillable in the original game, which is why you needed to use the Inca artifact. It's essentially the main plot behind the whole game and also the true motive of Silehard.

Which makes me wonder if the governor himself actually knew of the Pearl and wanted to blackmail Barbossa into serving him with his immortal ship by trying to obtain the artifact...
Or if we've been misjudging Silehard all along. Assuming he's not an idiot, he's not going to send his most powerful warship off looking for treasure while the French are invading his colonies, unless something is an even bigger threat. Perhaps he's after the artefact precisely because it's the key to defeating the near-invincible Black Pearl. So of course he's going to want to get rid of anyone who gets in his way - he doesn't want some rogue pirates grabbing the artifact and selling it for profit!

Is there a way I could make friendly ships automatically fire back if I shot them? I'd imagine this would be the fastest way.
Depends on what you mean by "friendly ships". If they're part of your own fleet, probably not. You could detach them to form a separate group. If you then attack them, they may fire back, especially if you start the action by raising a hostile flag. If you don't change flag then, unless you're flying a pirate flag and so are they, you're going to lose a lot of reputation for firing on a friendly ship! (This is how you can double-cross a merchant who hires you as an escort. Hoist a hostile flag. He'll then detach from you and become hostile.)

Depends on what you mean by "friendly ships". If they're part of your own fleet, probably not. You could detach them to form a separate group. If you then attack them, they may fire back, especially if you start the action by raising a hostile flag. If you don't change flag then, unless you're flying a pirate flag and so are they, you're going to lose a lot of reputation for firing on a friendly ship! (This is how you can double-cross a merchant who hires you as an escort. Hoist a hostile flag. He'll then detach from you and become hostile.)
I mean like if I have an office then buy for him a ship, perhaps there's some way to make him hostile to me then attack me? I know that firing on an escorted merchant (the tavern side quest) causes them to fight you, perhaps I could do this as well with an officer's ship.

Are you using the stock game or the mod? I'm not sure if this will work in the stock game, but in the mod, try this:
Code:
character_SetCompanionEnemyEnable(characterFromID("insert_officer_id_here"), true);
You'll need to know the officer's ID. If he's a quest officer such as Artois Voysey, this is easy; if he's a random officer hired in a tavern, it's not so easy. But that's the line which I believe allows an escort quest merchant to turn hostile if you raise a hostile flag.

Are you using the stock game or the mod?
Must be the mod.
Stock game didn't have smoke following the Pearl.

if he's a random officer hired in a tavern, it's not so easy.
How's this?
Code:
    for (i = 0; i < COMPANION_MAX; i++) {
                limit = GetCompanionIndex(PChar, i);
                if (limit < 0) continue;
                ch = GetCharacter(limit);
                character_SetCompanionEnemyEnable(ch, true);
            }
That should make ALL your companions irritable.

Are you using the stock game or the mod? I'm not sure if this will work in the stock game, but in the mod, try this:
Code:
character_SetCompanionEnemyEnable(characterFromID("insert_officer_id_here"), true);
You'll need to know the officer's ID. If he's a quest officer such as Artois Voysey, this is easy; if he's a random officer hired in a tavern, it's not so easy. But that's the line which I believe allows an escort quest merchant to turn hostile if you raise a hostile flag.
Will try this out, thanks.

Btw, is there a way to make sure they don't run away in the fight? I want them to fight me even if I have the bigger ship.

Also, is there a version of the Couronne galleon that exists which is textured like the Silent Mary? Or at least the sail insignia? It's such a badass looking ship, I actually prefer the uncursed Silent Mary.

How's this?
Code:
                if (limit < 0) continue;
            }
Presumably that's to go into "console.c", and will need 'int limit;' declared somewhere?

Alternatively, in "PROGRAM\Dialog_func.c", find this line in function "TIH_OfficerHiredProcess":
Code:
if (CheckAttribute(RefChar, "CompanionEnemyEnable"))    DeleteAttribute(NewOfficer, "CompanionEnemyEnable");
Replace with:
Code:
if (!CheckAttribute(RefChar, "CompanionEnemyEnable")) character_SetCompanionEnemyEnable(NewOfficer, true);
And in function "TIH_PrisonerHiredAsOfficerProcess", find this:
Code:
if (CheckAttribute(RefChar, "CompanionEnemyEnable")) DeleteAttribute(RefChar, "CompanionEnemyEnable");
Replace with:
Code:
if (!CheckAttribute(RefChar, "CompanionEnemyEnable")) character_SetCompanionEnemyEnable(RefChar, true);
The original lines are intended to prevent a former mutinying captain who then surrenders from automatically mutinying again next time you raise a hostile flag. The replacements should do the exact opposite - if he's not set to mutiny when you raise a false flag, he is now! It won't affect fixed quest characters such as Artois Voysey but random hirelings from taverns should certainly work.

Code:

I followed your instructions and placed this line in the Artois Voysey entry in Officers.c:

character_SetCompanionEnemyEnable(characterFromID("Artois Voysey"), true);

However, nothing seems to have changed. I started a new game, hired him, went to sea, then manually fired at his ship (my rep decreased) but he doesn't turn hostile. I tried raising a pirate flag, but he doesn't become hostile...

Alternatively, in "PROGRAM\Dialog_func.c", find this line in function "TIH_OfficerHiredProcess":
Code:
if (CheckAttribute(RefChar, "CompanionEnemyEnable")) DeleteAttribute(NewOfficer, "CompanionEnemyEnable");
I couldn't find such a line. Strange.

Last edited:
Must be the mod.
Stock game didn't have smoke following the Pearl.

How's this?
Code:
                if (limit < 0) continue;
            }

I placed the SetCompanionEnemyEnable line under the void CreateCharacters() line, so that it now looks like this:

void ExecuteConsole()
{
ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
ref ch;
int i;
int limit;
// Case 0 = Enable reload (useful when you get stuck on boarding) + Set player type (if you cannot move anymore)
switch(0) // Case 1 = Various test and cheat codes
{ // Case 2 = Location coordinate information
case 1: // Case 3 = Automatic instant cheats in port
// Case 4 = Instant teleport to Hendrick Vanderdecken

// Give ship
// ------------------
/* for (i = 0; i < COMPANION_MAX; i++) {
if (limit < 0) continue;
GiveShip2Character(ch,ch.ship.type,ch.ship.name,-1,ch.ship.stats.nation,true,true);
}*/

But this didn't work. Maybe it should have been somewhere else?

Last edited:
I apologise for commenting for the third time, but I'll try to do this once only. Currently, it looks like I've done something to mess up the game, because now it crashes on startup. I used to delete the options file which solved it before, but now there is no options file. So I tried to reinstall the game.

However, upon clicking on Setup on /PCUninstall, the following dialog comes up:

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched.

Class not registered

Dammit, what is going on here? :(

Back