• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl Ropes

Legendary_Spider

Why is the rum always gone?
2D Artist
Provisional
Storm Modder
I noticed the Pearl doesn't have the rope railing on it's stern and bow like it should. Armada, do you think you could add those on or show me how to? Seems like it should be fairly simple.
william.gif

The rope goes where I marked with red. Basically anywhere you see those poles.

[attachment=6840:moddingNGINE 2011-07-24 19-51-11-35 2.jpg]

[attachment=6841:moddingNGINE 2011-07-24 19-51-35-46 2.jpg]

You do know bonjourmonami has finished his new and improved version, right?
As soon as that's available on the FTP, I'll work on that and the QAR just to get their walk files/textures up to scratch.
Because of that, I'm not too keen on improving the current model at the last minute.
It's more work than needs to be done for a model which is due to be replaced, if you ask me. :shrug

I guess. The thing about the new model that bugs me is that the masts and bowspirit are the wrong color.
mybad.gif

Didn't you think I was going to correct that...? :cheeky

I wasn't sure. lol There was no mention of it. Ok, I can rest a little easy now. That whole video I was staring at the masts and bowspirit going "wrong color wrong color wrong color"
urgh.gif
haha
I guess if this model is replacing our current Pearl, you can ignore my thing about the ropes, because his model has the rope railings. Will you be able to transfer your awesome cursed sails to this model?

Did he purposely leave out the door to the captain's cabin?

Well since I'm committed to making her and the Revenge as accurate as possible, that includes the textures.
The cursed sails work with any ship, simply by using the 'Choose sails' interface. ;)
And as for the cabin, I believe he opened it up so you can enter it, which makes a change.

I guess. It just looks weird without a door. lol At least this will satisfy all those people that were wanting to walk into the cabin so badly.

I like his battle damage. Does that happen over time with damage, or is that a whole separate model?

I can't wait to see what you do with the Revenge. I wonder if you could texture some more bones on her? Ugh. I need to learn how to texture. I'm curious about it now that I know it has some kind of connection to Photoshop which is something I'm fairly skilled at.

I think the battle damage is on a whole different version, seeing as progressive damage isn't totally possible yet.
The closest you can get to that is by modelling parts to fall off, and naming them as 'masts'.
That will cause the ship to appear to take damage, while fooling the game into thinking a mast has fallen.

Have you looked at any of the game's textures in Photoshop, yet? If not, you really should; that will give you an idea of how you can edit them.
Try a few changes to one of your favourite ships' textures (make a back-up first), and you'll quickly learn how it all works. :dance

Hmmm I am intrigued. Teach me more, master.
bow.gif
So I can open the textures in Photoshop without any converter thingy?

As I've said before, you need to use TX Converter. From TX to TGA is easy; just select the file you want (from RESOURCE/Textures/Ships), and click 'Convert'. :cheeky
Once converted, open up the TGA file in Photoshop and do what you want with it.

Oh snap! So I could take real life pictures of details on ships and stuff and make that a texture for the game?

Remember what I did to the Victory's texture, using photos I found on the web? Of course it's possible. :yes
What really takes skill is to make the texture look natural in the game's environment.
Otherwise, you'd end up with ships which look out of place, or too 'artificial' even.

EDIT: didn't see your last post. You need to click on the file (on the right hand side of the window), and then click 'Convert' (top left).
That should put a TGA version of the file in the folder you specify on the left hand side of the screen. Does that make sense?

I guess that means you've figured out how to convert them now, right?

Many of the textures do look weird, and it's all down to how they're mapped to the 3D model in Maya.
The process is called UV mapping (see this Wikipedia article for an explanation), and basically involves making a 2D representation of the model.
Anyway, you don't need to worry about that for texturing, since all the hard work has already been done. ;)
All you need to do is figure out what maps where. Sometimes it involves trial and error, while other times it's obvious.

Back