• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Blackbeard's Sword

None at all? Not even in the "Enter" menu? That's quite weird....

At the moment Blackbeard talks to you and assaults you as soon as you land.
But I could also leave the initiative with the player and have Blackbeard just walking around at random, with the player being able to ignore him, talk to him or fight him.

None at all? Not even in the "Enter" menu?

Nope. Regarding the initiative, I don't think it's bad to have him initiate the combat, after all, you can always safely retreat back to your ship:D It's just this lootable area issue that could definetly spoil a long combat and result in no sword, the thing which a player would naturaly be after in this location...

That isn't easily solved. I have no clue why it wouldn't even work as is.
Perhaps auto initiate the dialog a bit further up the beach instead?

Perhaps auto initiate the dialog a bit further up the beach instead?

That wouldn't change much, since the issue at stake is not the dialog place per se, but the place where he dies actually. In other words, you can talk to him wherever you'd like, but if you decide to dance around the beach (which is pretty much the best tactics here), you're most likely to enter the non-lootable area.

Is it possible to force auto-looting instead? Or simply make some hint in the update change log that players should always turn the function on, before arriving here, just in case?:)

Auto Looting is enabled by default for blades, guns and gold. :shrug

For the Speed Burst trick, why don't you experiment a bit yourself with making it stronger?
The code is here in PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\BattleInterface.c:
Code:
  case "BI_QARSword":
     AddPerkToActiveList("QARSword");
     LogIt("If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am!");
     PChar.ship.speedburst = true;
     PChar.Ship.Impulse.Rotate.z = 0.12; // = 6 knots max
     PostEvent("FinishSpeedBurst", 60000);
   break;
The impulse value defines how much force is applied and the PostEvent number defines for how long.

Yeah, I know of the initial auto-looting, guess I've been judging from my own experience, when you end up with a totally messed up inventory and tend to loot manually:)

Now, I've rechecked the original boost ability - yeah it certainly gives additional speed, the question is should that be made stronger is open for debate. I may experiment with the value, but there's this annoying issue with the ships' speed and agility stats that are randomized and WAY TOO IMPRESIVE for the age of sail IMHO... But that should deserve another thread:)

Ships should have their starts randomised a bit.
But not to the point of being ridiculous.

Still to do:
- Increase speed burst given by the sword
OR
- Adapt this to an on/off option

This is not really a bug but more like missing features right?

At last! The Sword of Triton! I have mentioned this a couple of times, I think:rolleyes:, in the past but was never entertained. :woot
Now, this could really be a great boost to arcade players making them to want to try the game more. :monkeydance

I'll try this after I've set up my game.

Now all I need to do is to actually make its powers a bit stronger.
I'm thinking an on/off cruise control for your ship. Sort-of like a free steam engine.

Done with the help of @Pirate J.

Now you can use the added speed given by the Sword of Triton as long as you want.
This to distinguish it from the Black Pearl Sweeps and to make it a bit more powerful.
You gain 8 kts without sail, but that becomes less at higher speed.

It still has a cool-down period of 2 minutes after you disabled it, though.
So it isn't quite as flexible as a steam engine. But then.... it shouldn't be! :razz

I'd like to offer thanks once more to @ostrov for creating the 3D model and texture of Blackbeard's sword.
It took a while for me to finally find the time to do something with it, but it resulted in quite a nice feature! :cheers

Back