• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Boarding doesn't work

styrry

Landlubber
Hello there,
I'm new to the game and somehow at a loss as how to board a ship. I always place my vessel alongside the enemy and match my speed. Though I never have the option to boad. I can get boarded though if the enemy vessel is stronger and decides to initiate boarding.
Only once I used "sail to" to a surrendered ship from an ai battle where I could board. However when fighting pirates the option never opens up to me. Even when the enemy surrendered and lies afloat in the water :(

Hello Pieter,
I used the files Built 14 Beta 3.4 (Installation + Content files from moddb) to mod a freshly installed POTC.

If you don't yet have it, I definitely recommend getting the ZIP attached here as well:
www.piratesahoy.net/threads/boarding-doesnt-work.26865/#post-532045
That contains a couple of additional fixes.

Though I doubt it will change your boarding situation; that has been working for years now.
Of course your "Boarding skill" affects how easy it is for you to board other ships.

When ships surrender, there should be an on-screen log message to indicate if they surrendered to you or another enemy.
You cannot board surrendered vessels unless they surrendered to you.

Thanks for the link. I will add it. I've a 4 in grappling. But being at the same velocity alongside a vessel with no gap at all should be sufficient to get the boarding option, right?
Maybe one more thing to make sure my save isn't messed up: when hiring a new officer sometimes an old one just dissappears. Till now I assumed that's because the old officer doesn't like the new one.

edit: i can't manage to get the zip from the link as it forwards this thread

Last edited:
I've a 4 in grappling. But being at the same velocity alongside a vessel with no gap at all should be sufficient to get the boarding option, right?
Should be, yes.

Maybe one more thing to make sure my save isn't messed up: when hiring a new officer sometimes an old one just dissappears. Till now I assumed that's because the old officer doesn't like the new one.
Do you have a LOT of officers? If so, that has been known to happen.
But only with a lot.

I've currently got 6. But it already happened when I had 2. They were just replaced by the 2 new ones I hired.

Are you sure the ship you are trying to board is from a nation that is hostile to you? Try changing flags. Other than that once you get so close you are almost touching you should be able to board.

Hylie! Thanks! That was the problem! I was sailing under the white flag and was attacked by pirates. So I thought I was eligible to respond. Which obviously didn't include boarding though. I was going as far as hoisting the pirate flag when the issue with the boarding occured. With no positive results - it seems pirates are not allowed to board other pirates. After your hint I changed to my personal flag and it worked!

The "white flag" is friendly to EVERYONE (because it is the flag of surrender),
so then indeed you wouldn't be able to board any surrendered ships because surrendered ships don't surrender to other surrendered ships.
(How many times does that sentence have the same word in it? :rofl )

The white flag feature is unfinished anyway and I don't recommend using it.
In Beta 4, it has been disabled.

Pirates indeed are by definition friendly to themselves. So indeed no boarding there either.

This is good to know :woot. Using the white flag was required for me, as a transportion mission had a french port as target, which I didn't know when accepting it. So the white flag was, from what I know, the only chance to deliver the goods without getting swiss-cheesed by the port cannons.

Hostile French port? Fake French flag is always an option then.

Though fake flags don't work quite right in Beta 3.4; you need the Beta 4 WIP from my signature for that to behave properly.

Uh.. french flag for french ports make sense... something new to be learned every day :checklist

Could you please also repost the link for the additional fixes? The link from your first post doesn't work for me. Thanks!

Back