• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 11: repeatable CTD after hiring 2nd officer...

itarrow

Landlubber
or at least, repeated 2 times by me: always uninstalling and reinstalling is a long process for a married guy with a daughter :yes

However, here is my problem: fresh install, build 11 + textures.

Everything working fine, also with one officer hired.

As soon as I hire a second officer, problems starts.

If I go to the shipyard, as soon as the "ship selection" screen appears it crashes to desktop (repeatable).

If I want to sail, as soon as I enter the "map sailing mode" it crashes to desktop (repeatable).

It happened once also in the tavern, as soon as the "hiring" screen appeared.

It seems almost as, as soon as I exit the "3D - action" window, the game has to crash.

What bothers me is that it doesn`t seem a hw related problem, since it happens just after hiring a 2nd officer...

However I post my config:

Athlon XP 2100+
ASUS A7M 266
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9700 with Catalyst 4.3
Audigy ZS with latest drivers
dx 9b
Win XP SP1

I read a lot about "Omega" drivers: I`ll try it, but as I said it seems a problem NOT related to hw or drivers, since it happens JUST AFTER HIRING A 2nd OFFICER.

Lastly: I know, I know, then I could simply NOT hire a 2nd officer. However I would like to know if there`s a solution or if the same happens to someone else...

did you try to `re-ini` after hiring a second officer ......
I had not once seen this .....
and I'm on a p3/600, 256 ddr ram, 3*20 gig, and a gainward GeForce4 64 mb ram, tv out. win2k.

I think its still nessesary to hit "I" sometimes, in the build 10.1, I did it every time I had to go to sea........

:yes

fresh install, build 11 + textures.  

textures?? my textures STILL dont download, always comin up with "error while downloading" every time! i have tried 10 damn times! restarted computer, EVERYTHING you could hink of! :cheers:

CaptJackSparrow :
the game should run fine without the textures ....
catalinathepirate has a link for that.

itarrow :
did you try `re-ini`

:cheers

About the "I" suggestion: tried it, but crashing is still there.

Another note: if I revert back to a save in which I was still with just 1 officer, crash remains.

I have to start a completely new game so not to have crashes...

Sorry,

but the bug is not reproducible in my environment. I went to the store, shipyard, tailorsshop, tavern and loadshark with one, two and three officers without any crash.

may I ask if you used a localised version of PotC? If you do, please check if the EURO define is set to 1. If this property has the wrong value, it is still possible to load a saved game, but it often crashes when changing the location.

Could you start the game in debug mode and send me the error log?

Scheffnow

First of all thanks for the support: I`ve sent to you by mail the log.

Mine is a POTC US release.

I noticed one thing when loading: also if I already hired 2 officer, just the latest hired one was portraited in the loading page, while the 1st one was nowhere (also in game).

Another strange thing is that after launching and debugging with the modtool helper the engine.ini file was empty and I had to reinstall...

Thanks again

<!--`QuoteBegin-itarrow`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(itarrow)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
Another strange thing is that after launching and debugging with the modtool helper the engine.ini file was empty and I had to reinstall...[/quote]

This is bad, I'll add functionality to create a backup of all changed files to the tool. Should be ready this weekend.

Scheffnow

Regarding hired officers overwriting eachother.

The problem here is that whenever you hire an officer, he gets put in the fourth slot on the Passengers page.
So, just click on another slot, then `double-click` the person you want to be in it.

NathanKell & Scheffnow: OK, so doing this I will have multiple officer, but will I be "`CTD-free`" or not ?
Did my error log told you anything about the CTD ?
Thanks

itarrow said:
NathanKell & Scheffnow: OK, so doing this I will have multiple officer, but will I be "`CTD-free`" or not ?
Did my error log told you anything about the CTD ?
Thanks

Sorry for the late answer. No there's no coding error logged, what is quite surprisingly, how log did you play before the game chrashed?

Scheffnow

Well,
I hired a second officer just after coming back to Redmond after reconnoitering Oxbay (1st "quest"), so it was pretty early in the game, and it was after half an hour of gaming.

As I said, a strange thing is that as soon as it starts crashing (after hiring a second officer), I cannot revert to an old savegame (which was working before I hired a second officer), since it will crash as well...

I noticed on the error log that there wasn`t anything under the "Error" line, but I hoped the rest could be of some help.

Eventually, I can send to you one of my saves...

Back