• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

build 14 a7 crashes when trying to go to options

blackrabbit

Sailor Apprentice
I FINALLY got build 14 A7 to work but when I try and go to the options menu to refresh my memory about the controls and stuff (haven't played since i moved into my new house 4 months ago), the game crashes to my desktop and just gives me the generic windows has encountered an error blah blah blah. Could my install be corrupt? I've installed the a7 fix i found on the forums to, thats what got build 14 working in the first place. Thanks.

The fix isn't entirely correct: It contains options.ini files that were not meant for Alpha 7, but for Alpha 8. That is the cause of the problem. Take the Alpha 7 file and re-extract it on top of your game. This should work. I hope. You can also open the PROGRAM\BuildDefaultControls.c file to see the default controls without using the Options screen. Please note that Alpha 7 is not entirely stable and subsequent versions are even worse. Alpha 6 is still the most playable of the Alphas.

Thanks. I also noticed in Alpha 6 that when i return the Pirate Island, Que something or other everything kind of gets locked up when I enter the town. I can't move and i can't exit the town becuase it says its locked. Is that a bug as well? I'll stick to build 13 maybe for now.

Uh? When does that happen? When you first enter Quebradas Costillas town?

I first noticed it after not being in the town for a long time. The first time I went there I had to sit there and wait for the fight to happen between whats his name and the pirate, you know the guy who has a story behind him and can become an officer, I forget his name, the guy in the purple coat. I was able to come back and mess around in the town for a while but then I came back one day and I get stcuk there and have to quit the game. I'm not sure what I had done before entering the town mission wise or something since i was all over the place. I did notice though that this only happen when using build 14 alpha 6. When using build 14 i don't notice it happening.

i know it happens when you go there before you start the main quest, but that's all.

maybe thats the problem. I generally don't get involved with the quests in the game, I just like being a pirate and sailing around attacking, making money, smuggling and so forth. I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks.

if you do, then i'd recommend going to oxbay, thus starting the mainquest, then going to QC, and only starting the animists quest (the one with the black frigate, mephisto) AFTER you've finished the main quest. you'd start this quest by talking to the ladies outside the governor's mansion in Douwesen. also, do NOT sink, scuttle, or get rid of the big ship in any other way in the end, as that causes a game-killing bug. capture and keep it instead. after the main quest, feel free to sell it or whatnot, but only after you've COMPLETELY finished it.

thanks. I've heard that ship is a terror. When I first played the stock game when it first came out i got to the point where i had to fight it and had three other ships with me. I took one look at it and said OMFG i want it but all my ships were too powerful and we sunk it very fast lol.

Back