• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping to release a Build 14 FINAL properly officially and externally by the end of the year.
Please consider adapting that one to Maelstrom as well.

Then once that is done, my thinking would be to declare our next project Build 15 (possibly with a new name altogether, because "New Horizons" was the one for 14).
This would be a good time to drop support for the old Storm 2 version altogether; and, for example, make Maelstrom the official main branch for future developments.
Personally, before the interview, I didn't even know the Build mod ever was known as anything other than New Horizons, so I wouldn't change it, as I feel like it is just TOO characteristic.
But, if we end up changing the name, my suggestion would be something like "Beyond The Horizons", as it somewhat carries the spirit of "New Horizons", while also indicating that it goes even further than it.

I'll tell from my part.

If New Horizons will have a Build 15 (Merged with Maelstrom) at the end of 2021, then we should do our best to make that happen.
I'm still making progress at Polish Translation for NH and when I'm finished I'll send it to @Pieter Boelen @Grey Roger and @Jack Rackham.

So I'll try to make a FULL Translation before 2022.

P.S
I still have so ideas for new swords and characters :-|

I'll tell from my part.

If New Horizons will have a Build 15 (Merged with Maelstrom) at the end of 2021, then we should do our best to make that happen.
I'm still making progress at Polish Translation for NH and when I'm finished I'll send it to @Pieter Boelen @Grey Roger and @Jack Rackham.

So I'll try to make a FULL Translation before 2022

Oh my GOD!!! So there's actually a POLISH translation of NH going on and I knew nothing about it. Just for your information, I tried to translate Build 14 into Polish around 2013/2014 with the help of some other people but gave up because of technical complications and lack of time. Maybe @Pieter Boelen, @Jack Rackham or @Baste remember these times since they have helped me among others.

I still should have some old translated files somewhere, but I guess they're almost all outdated by now. I can't lend my help because now I have even less time due to work and studies, but this is probably one of the top 10 best news I've heard this year.

Powodzenia @Jacob and lots of respect to You!!! :doff

t
Oh my GOD!!! So there's actually a POLISH translation of NH going on and I knew nothing about it. Just for your information, I tried to translate Build 14 into Polish around 2013/2014 with the help of some other people but gave up because of technical complications and lack of time. Maybe @Pieter Boelen, @Jack Rackham or @Baste remember these times since they have helped me among others.

I still should have some old translated files somewhere, but I guess they're almost all outdated by now. I can't lend my help because now I have even less time due to work and studies, but this is probably one of the top 10 best news I've heard this year.

Powodzenia @Jacob and lots of respect to You!!! :doff

You could translate all the rest very quickly with Google and then correct mistakes here and there as you play. The automatic translators are working very well!

You could translate all the rest very quickly with Google and then correct mistakes here and there as you play. The automatic translators are working very well!

Nah, Google Translator sometimes makes non-logical mistakes when it translates from English to Polish.
I manually translate everything, but if I don't know a certain word, I googled it to search it's meaning.

I'm starting from Dialogs

@Strannik What makes it difficult is that we have a man and a woman option.
It's no longer just Nathaniel, it could also be Danielle on any other.

Last edited:
That's one of the trickiest parts with Spanish too.

My advice is don't try to rush it too much, though. I don't know how far ahead you are in your translation but, unless it's almost finished already, finishing it before 2022 seems unrealistic, even if you were to devote full working days to it, the volume of text is just huge. The Spanish translation is pretty far ahead but still many months from completion even if I could give it more time.

I am hoping to release a Build 14 FINAL properly officially and externally by the end of the year.

Great news! Moving forward to Build 15 was something I would have recommended too, after the very lengthy beta period of Build 14.

Then once that is done, my thinking would be to declare our next project Build 15 (possibly with a new name altogether, because "New Horizons" was the one for 14).

As much as I like "New Horizons", it is more than understandable to change it after the caesura to break the compatibility with the old Storm engine.

This would be a good time to drop support for the old Storm 2 version altogether; and, for example, make Maelstrom the official main branch for future developments.

I would suggest to use the recently released open source Storm engine as the new main branch. Maelstrom is an absolutely marvelous engine, but I think for something like a community developed mod/game, it is much more helpful to have an engine which is open source. Moreover, but that is just an assumption from someone who is not familiar with the programming behind both engines, I think that it is easier to port from Storm 2.0 to the most recent open source Storm engine than to Maelstrom with an entirely different source code.

That's one of the trickiest parts with Spanish too.

My advice is don't try to rush it too much, though. I don't know how far ahead you are in your translation but, unless it's almost finished already, finishing it before 2022 seems unrealistic, even if you were to devote full working days to it, the volume of text is just huge. The Spanish translation is pretty far ahead but still many months from completion even if I could give it more time.

Honestly, I didn't know about that that The Spanish has the same grammar problems as Polish.

In polish, you have to pronounce yourself with your gender
For example:

English

My name is Peter and I would like to know, where's the pub in this town.

Polish

Mam na imię Piotr i chciałbym wiedzieć, gdzie mogę znaleźć bar w tym mieście.

For woman it look like this

English

My name is Sylvia and I would like to talk to the local priest in this village.

Polish

Mam na imię Sylwia i chciałabym pomówić z miejskim kapłanem w tej wsi.

So, yea

BTW, can someone explain why in katana.tx.tga there's no handle?
All I can see is a blade.
I want to create a Dragon's Tooth, based on katana.

If you convert the katana.TX to .tga and open the file with photoshop you'll see the handle and more.

BTW, can someone explain why in katana.tx.tga there's no handle?
All I can see is a blade.
I want to create a Dragon's Tooth, based on katana.
As @Jack Rackham says, use TX Convertor to convert the game's .tga.tx file to .tga. You can get TX Convertor here:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/Cloud/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip

Use Photoshop, GIMP or any other picture editing software which can read .tga files and which can display the alpha channel. For most models, where the alpha channel is black, the texture is invisible, which is how you can see through windows in the game. Where the alpha channel is white, the texture is visible. But weapons use it differently; black in the alpha makes the weapon show the texture, white makes it show shiny metal.

GM Viewer can't tell whether a model is a weapon or something else, so it always hides any area with black in the alpha channel. And so it only shows the blades, not the handles, for a lot of weapons. (Some weapon models don't use the alpha channel, so the whole weapon is textured in the game and visible in GM Viewer.)

Honestly, I didn't know about that that The Spanish has the same grammar problems as Polish.

For example:

English

Polish

English

Polish

So, yea
Well, Spanish isn't quite that bad, it's mostly just the nouns and adjectives that are gendered.

For example:

English

Polish

English

Polish

I wonder how much of that problem could be solved by rephrasing? For example, in "Thomas O'Reily_dialog.h":
I'd like to examine your stock of trade goods.
Google translates that into Polish:
Chciałbym zbadać twoje zapasy towarów handlowych.
If you're playing a female character, presumably that should be:
Chciałabym zbadać twoje zapasy towarów handlowych.
How about:
Pokaż mi swoje zapasy towarów handlowych.
That's Google's translation of "Show me your stock of trading goods", which is close enough in meaning. Though of course it won't do any good if that phrase also changes with player character gender!

That's Google's translation of "Show me your stock of trading goods", which is close enough in meaning. Though of course it won't do any good if that phrase also changes with player character gender!

That's exactly how I'm dealing with dialogs. Rephrase it to make the sentence logical without worry of genders.

Though, I drop the pic of "dragon's tooth"
It's not finished
Zrzut ekranu (440).png

I don't know if this is the right place? But I can't install or play the game in a proper way any more.

Attachments

• error.log
    1.9 KB · Views: 122
  • compile.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 105
I don't know if this is the right place? But I can't install or play the game in a proper way any more.
From "compile.log":
Code:
Build 14 Beta 4 WIP: 31 Mar 2016
Savegame Compatibility: 14.931
Either you're using an obsolete installer or you extracted the contents of "b14_beta4_final.tar" manually.

Start again by installing the stock game - make sure to put it somewhere other than "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" or any subfolders of them. (I put the installation into "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean".)

Download "Part 1: Installation Wizard", "Part 2: Contents Archive file" and "Extra Fix Archive" from the links in the first post of this thread. Make sure the Installation Wizard (Build14_installer_25052018.exe) and Contents Archive (b14_beta4_final.tar) are in the same folder. Run "Build14_installer_25052018.exe". Do not extract "b14_beta4_final.tar" yourself.

But when the installer has finished its job, you do extract "post_25May_updates_281021.zip".

From "compile.log":
Code:
Build 14 Beta 4 WIP: 31 Mar 2016
Savegame Compatibility: 14.931
Either you're using an obsolete installer or you extracted the contents of "b14_beta4_final.tar" manually.

Start again by installing the stock game - make sure to put it somewhere other than "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" or any subfolders of them. (I put the installation into "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean".)

Download "Part 1: Installation Wizard", "Part 2: Contents Archive file" and "Extra Fix Archive" from the links in the first post of this thread. Make sure the Installation Wizard (Build14_installer_25052018.exe) and Contents Archive (b14_beta4_final.tar) are in the same folder. Run "Build14_installer_25052018.exe". Do not extract "b14_beta4_final.tar" yourself.

But when the installer has finished its job, you do extract "post_25May_updates_281021.zip".
That's exactly what I used to do. I will give it another try.

Delete this install entirely. Install the game from CD. Then download "Build14_installer_25052018.exe" and "b14_beta4_final.tar" from the links in the first post of this thread. Run "Build14_installer_25052018.exe".

Do not apply the update archive "post_25May_updates_281021.zip" at all.

Run the game, then post "compile.log".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back