• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestion for future build version:
Put a cap on how often you can 'practice' sword fighting in the tutorial(s) to remove the chance to start the game with rank 10 melee and 20 free-to-spend ability points by simply repeating the fighting tutorial over and over? ;)

Put a cap on how often you can 'practice' sword fighting in the tutorial(s) to remove the chance to start the game with rank 10 melee and 20 free-to-spend ability points by simply repeating the fighting tutorial over and over? ;)
NO! you found by Secret out!

Don't you think if a player wants to do THAT much grinding, they should be allowed to reap the rewards from it?

Some players have a lot of trouble with melee combat and may only be able to make progress if they use this method to increase their skill. So I recommend not forcing such a cap. If you don't want to keep training with the crew, just stop doing it! ;)

Was just mentioning it cuz I seem to deduce from a lot of Pieters' posts that we're not really into potential exploits in the mod so I figured I'd mention this one :)

PS: what's up with the compass that is supposed to come with Nathaniel Hawk's Heavy Lugger? I can't seem to find it anywhere.. is it a joke or is there really supposed to be a compass stored on the ship or in your inventory? I did the Stormy Start if that matters. Happened to start on some British Naval Base with Paprika as contraband and Paprika being my only good, I started out with a nice 20k cash :) quite lucky indeed.. and a nice sword from some 'cellar' :D

what's up with the compass that is supposed to come with Nathaniel Hawk's Heavy Lugger? I can't seem to find it anywhere.. is it a joke or is there really supposed to be a compass stored on the ship or in your inventory?
If I recall, if you're in 3D Sailing Mode and go to the shipss helm, the compass you see there actually moves.
It uses some trickery and isn't a real compass.
But still a fun little detail.

Was just mentioning it cuz I seem to deduce from a lot of Pieters' posts that we're not really into potential exploits in the mod so I figured I'd mention this one :)
It's not exactly an exploit to slog away for ages slowly building up your skill by training. Boring, yes, but not an exploit.

About the compass: does the heavy lugger have that? It's certainly present on a couple of brigs which I imported from CoAS, and if the heavy lugger came from CoAS too then it might also have one. If so, the compass probably points to the wind direction; the compass on those brigs certainly does

About the compass: does the heavy lugger have that?
It does.
Model came from seaward.ru, but before CoAS was ever made.
I imagine the same modeller applied that trick to more models that made their way into the later game.
But the Heavy Lugger was the first one.

It does.
I imagine the same modeller applied that trick to more models that made their way into the later game.
Can the compass be applied to all ships as an upgrade feature ?.....would probably take a standard model and the addition of a locator to each ship. Only an idea.
PS....my computers & internet will be fixed some time this week so I will be about again at long last.

It does.
Odd - I noticed it on the brigs right away but never noticed it on the lugger, despite playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" many times, until now.

@ExtincE: this is what you're looking for:
lugger_VML_compass.jpg

@damski62: Welcome back! The wheel on the lugger is "luggerVML_mast4.gm", which contains a "geometry" locator for "rey_a4". Neither GM Viewer nor TOOL will read "luggerVML_rey_a4.gm" - at least, I can't get them to read it. The compass itself appears to be "luggerVML_rey_d7.gm", which presumably is linked somehow to "luggerVML_rey_a4.gm". "luggerVML_rey_d7.gm" has a set of sail locators, which is probably why the compass moves with the wind - the game is treating it as a yard with a sail. Judging by the sail locator co-ordinates, it's a small sail hidden somewhere inside the ship so you never see it.

"BrigQeen1" does something similar - the wheel is "BrigQeen1_mast4.gm" with a locator for "rey_a4", TOOL and GM Viewer can't read the "rey_a4" model, but the compass is "BrigQeen1_rey_g4.gm", which again has co-ordinates for a small sail.

So the wheel probably needs to be a separate "mast" model rather than a component of the main hull. You'd need to then add a "rey_a4" locator, then copy and rename the "rey_a4" and its associated compass model from either "luggerVML" or "BrigQeen1". And don't do it to a ship which has a lower deck which you can visit, otherwise that hidden sail might not be hidden any more!

Thanks for the picture @Grey Roger . So that compass points to the wind direction? Figured it would be pointing to Isla de Muerta (which would come in handy now I apparently picked up a cursed coin in the abbey somewhere :( )

No, there's an entirely different compass for that. It's not part of the ship model, it's an item which someone will give to you, and when you have it Isla de Muerta will appear on the worldmap.

So, who's going to give you such a compass? The compass appears in a certain film, so you probably want to look for someone who appears in that film. The captain is almost entirely confined to his own storyline, but his boatswain might be sitting around somewhere...

(Alternatively, if you're desperate to get rid of the cursed coin and don't want to go chasing after a compass to show you a mystical island, have a look at "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h", particularly the variable "CURSES_DISABLED".)

The next update is overdue, and there's now enough stuff waiting to be released. So I hope to upload the next update by the end of this week.

@Jack Rackham: if you have anything ready to go, could you upload it, please?

Thanks, I've got it. "Ships_init.c" needed to be merged with my current version as that includes some new ships; everything else just got copied straight in after a quick check with WinMerge.

I have one suggestion to make for the next update or the one after that:
The HMS Interceptor is a great looking ship but has a deceptive description: "There's no ship as can match the Interceptor for speed".. It is one of the slower vessels in the game though, which makes little sense to me. Can it be made faster?

"HMS_Interceptor" has a base speed of 14.0. Some of the schooner types can match that and the Black Pearl can beat it. Which other ships do you think can outrun it?

There are a couple of other "Interceptor" variants, though you won't be able to repaint them into "HMS_Interceptor" in the shipyard because they have different stats - in particular, they are slower! They're also only available in later periods, "Revolutions" or "Napoleonic". That's because the real ship is the Lady Washington, an American design, and as the US didn't exist before the revolution, neither did any US ships. xD (The Lady Washington is depicted in the game as "US_Interceptor".)

"HMS_Interceptor" has a base speed of 14.0. Some of the schooner types can match that and the Black Pearl can beat it. Which other ships do you think can outrun it?

There are a couple of other "Interceptor" variants, though you won't be able to repaint them into "HMS_Interceptor" in the shipyard because they have different stats - in particular, they are slower! They're also only available in later periods, "Revolutions" or "Napoleonic". That's because the real ship is the Lady Washington, an American design, and as the US didn't exist before the revolution, neither did any US ships. xD (The Lady Washington is depicted in the game as "US_Interceptor".)

I don't quite remember anymore which ships exactly were faster, but I started a campaign with that ship, had it entirely decked out with all upgrades, yet almost every ship seemed to outrun it, so I felt a bit deceived, expecting it to be a great starter ship for a privateer campaign. To live up to it's name, I'd suggest that it would compete with a stock (topsail) schooner in terms of speed when it has all upgrades ?

I don't quite remember anymore which ships exactly were faster, but I started a campaign with that ship, had it entirely decked out with all upgrades, yet almost every ship seemed to outrun it, so I felt a bit deceived, expecting it to be a great starter ship for a privateer campaign. To live up to it's name, I'd suggest that it would compete with a stock (topsail) schooner in terms of speed when it has all upgrades ?
Might also be related to Skills and Abilities of the player and NPC characters?

The maximum crew for "HMS_Interceptor(as set by "Ships_init.c", before national modifier and randomisation) is 44, making it tier 7, so even a beginner should be able to command it without penalties. But yes, if you're just starting the game then you'll have low "Sailing" skill and few if any navigation-related abilities. Other captains probably have better.

If you personally - not your game character, you - were trying to command HMS Interceptor and Jack Sparrow was commanding a basic barque, he'd probably outsail and out-turn you. :p Same thing, though not quite so extreme; your character is relatively new to this, and that ship which is outrunning you probably has a more experienced captain.

Still, perhaps it should be a bit faster so that it's not outclassed by the schooners. "BB", whoever that is, thought 15.0 was too fast, so dropped it to 14.0. I'll split the difference and put it up to 14.5, and raise the Arcade mode speed as well. (But it must not be faster than the Black Pearl. Partly because it wasn't faster than the Pearl in the film, and partly because it may make the battle scene between HMS Interceptor and Black Pearl impossible to complete. Let one person complain that he's playing "Hoist The Colours" and can't catch the Interceptor, and I'll put the speed back to 14.0. :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back