• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't it be 24th of march?

Anyway; good to hear you are well, and I hope that this won't go on for too long.

I'll be losing internet access for some time. This is why I had to put out the update today. It does mean that if you don't see anything from me, you don't need to worry that I've been stuck with Covid-19 - that's not the reason for my loss of connection. But it also means this is the last update for a while, unless someone else wants to take over the job while I'm out of touch. I may be able to check in once in a while via wi-fi and a smart phone, but I won't be able to upload anything.
If this goes for too long, I may think about it, unless someone else is willing.
I just want to know if it takes much time or not.

Shouldn't it be 24th of march?
Yes. :oops: Now corrected.

If this goes for too long, I may think about it, unless someone else is willing.
I just want to know if it takes much time or not.
You need a comparison program such as WinMerge.

Ideally you should know enough about the general game that, if someone uploads a mod, you'll know if it will cause problems elsewhere - does it break a storyline or sidequest, for example? In theory, anyone who uploads a mod for inclusion should have tested it thoroughly - in practice, don't count on it, so set up an experimental install on your own PC and try it out for yourself.

I have a WIP install which has any mods that are likely to go in, plus anything of my own under development. When I'm about ready to release an update, I use WinMerge to compare that install to the current update and copy over anything which needs to go in. Then I'll make another install, using the files from the first post of this thread plus the update which I plan to upload. Then I run a WinMerge comparison between that and my WIP install. If any files are different between the two, or missing from the new install, they need to go into the update unless there's a reason for them not to (something I'm working on which isn't finished, or development files such as .tga files whose .tga.tx equivalents may be in the update). The install made from post #1 plus the update should be the same as what everyone else will get if they also download the files from post #1 including the update.

Then the changes should be documented. "Fixes.txt" is of possible interest, but "Build Info.txt" is the official documentation of the mod - add in anything is new to this update, with credit for whoever made it. Also remember to edit "PROGRAM\globals.c" to change the date near the bottom of the file - not critical, but it helps if someone reports a problem and uploads "compile.log", which will include that date, because then you can see which version they're using. (I've sometimes forgotten one or both of these. :D)

Finally, I use 7-Zip to archive "PROGRAM", "RESOURCE" and "Documentation", plus "Build Info.txt", "Config.exe" and "engine.ini". Then I use WinSCP to upload the finished product to the PA! FTP site, which brings up the next point - if you are going to do this, you'll need to PM @Pieter Boelen to ask for access to the FTP site so you can upload things to it. (Or, if you have access to some other cloud-based storage, you could use that, and then you just have to hope that everyone else can access it as well.)

Yes. :oops: Now corrected.
No problem! :cheers

You need a comparison program such as WinMerge.

Ideally you should know enough about the general game that, if someone uploads a mod, you'll know if it will cause problems elsewhere - does it break a storyline or sidequest, for example? In theory, anyone who uploads a mod for inclusion should have tested it thoroughly - in practice, don't count on it, so set up an experimental install on your own PC and try it out for yourself.

I have a WIP install which has any mods that are likely to go in, plus anything of my own under development. When I'm about ready to release an update, I use WinMerge to compare that install to the current update and copy over anything which needs to go in. Then I'll make another install, using the files from the first post of this thread plus the update which I plan to upload. Then I run a WinMerge comparison between that and my WIP install. If any files are different between the two, or missing from the new install, they need to go into the update unless there's a reason for them not to (something I'm working on which isn't finished, or development files such as .tga files whose .tga.tx equivalents may be in the update). The install made from post #1 plus the update should be the same as what everyone else will get if they also download the files from post #1 including the update.

Then the changes should be documented. "Fixes.txt" is of possible interest, but "Build Info.txt" is the official documentation of the mod - add in anything is new to this update, with credit for whoever made it. Also remember to edit "PROGRAM\globals.c" to change the date near the bottom of the file - not critical, but it helps if someone reports a problem and uploads "compile.log", which will include that date, because then you can see which version they're using. (I've sometimes forgotten one or both of these. :D)

Finally, I use 7-Zip to archive "PROGRAM", "RESOURCE" and "Documentation", plus "Build Info.txt", "Config.exe" and "engine.ini". Then I use WinSCP to upload the finished product to the PA! FTP site, which brings up the next point - if you are going to do this, you'll need to PM @Pieter Boelen to ask for access to the FTP site so you can upload things to it. (Or, if you have access to some other cloud-based storage, you could use that, and then you just have to hope that everyone else can access it as well.)
Thanks for the info, I will try it out and we shall see, at worse I will find that I don't have enough time; but we would have tried, and that is always better. :cheers

For now, I will upload the existing update to ModDB/NexusMods.

Ok has been some time since the last time i come here do i need to download every uptade to have the full mod or just download the last one will do ?

I tried to run the game after downloading the last patch of the 24 of march 2020, but everytime i get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library that tells me: Abnormal Program Termination and then cloesd the game... Before adding the patch it ran great i plaied it just yesterday evening...I use windows 7 OS...

I tried to run the game after downloading the last patch of the 24 of march 2020, but everytime i get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library that tells me: Abnormal Program Termination and then cloesd the game... Before adding the patch it ran great i plaied it just yesterday evening...I use windows 7 OS...
Please share the .log files from your main game folder.

Thanks, here it is:
Must be an erroneous install:
Code:
COMPILE ERROR - file: characters\characters.h; line: 46
define redefinition: PASSENGERS_MAX
Are you you sure you installing the mod correctly?
The process is:
1. Run Installer EXE
2. Do NOT touch the TAR archive!!! (Step 1 above will have automatically taken care of that.)
3. Extract the ZIP archive on top

This seems to be a common error, but it was explained on the previous page:
The reason for the error is that the variable "PASSENGERS_MAX" used to be defined in "PROGRAM\Characters\characters.h" but was long ago moved into "PROGRAM\globals.c". The obsolete version of "characters.h" is still in "Build 14 Beta 4.0 Part 2: Contents Archive" but should be overwritten by the installer, "Build 14 Full Part 1: Installation Wizard".

The current version of "globals.c" is in the fixes archive.

If for some reason the installer fails to overwrite "characters.h" with the later version, and you then copy the fixes archive into place, you have the obsolete "characters.h" and the current "globals.c", each with a definition of "PASSENGERS_MAX".

What i did was to unzip the "Post_25_May_updates" and copied all the files in the PotC folder where the game and New Horizons are located, then ran the installer...So what should i do to place everything correctly? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

"Post_25_May_updates" and copied all the files in the PotC folder where the game and New Horizons are located, then ran the installer...
You ran the installer again after putting the ZIP files in your main game folder?
Unfortunately that wouldn't work.
These days, the ZIP comes after the installer.
Try extracting it on top again.

Ok i think i did what you told me, how can i see the changes? I saw the swedish flag in the personal flag options, but i can't choose sweden as nation like with England or France for example...

I don't have the voice in the menu, i don't know what to do, should i have to uninstall new horizons and then reinstall it nad the patch? how should i install the patch and when?

I've done this but nothing to do i always get the Abnormal Program termination message...
I don't know what to do then...

Yes and without problems, i put the zip in the folder, extract the files in the same folder than the b14 beta 1 installer.exe, overwrite what it asks me to overwrite and when launching the game, i get the error message...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back