• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jack Rackham: if you can detail what is fixed in "Woodes Rogers" and "GoldBug", I can add that to "fixes.txt".
It's not that important. A wrong number in a questbook, a pile of woods that I must have changed size of so it disturbed the action in some locations.
In the Mysterious plants I moved a charcter, Abequa, so she's not blocking another characters dialog.

When I some day have finished WoodesRogers part2 I'll go for a complete update/avoid possible bugs/simplifying some situations in both
WoodesRogers1 and the GoldBug. There are things I would have done different today...

Where did that come from? The latest version of the installer, linked from post #1 of this thread, is dated 25th May. Another version went out on 21st May but contained some errors, which is why it was quickly replaced by the 25th May version. Before 21st May, the latest installer officially available was dated 31st August 2017, with its own update collection bringing it up to May 2018.

Can you upload your savegame? Then I can see if it will load into my game, and if so, whether the sidestep keys still work with your save on my system.

Hi Grey, Thanks for the reply and interest, Sorry for the tardy reply, I have been away.
Only virtually though, I updated my processor which, of course, means changing the motherboard and while at it fitted a second pump and reservoir which all takes time, hitting my head against all the BSOD's.
Anyway, back in the room.

Couldn't work out how to find or upload a saved game so went with your recommendation to download [yet again] the game link provided.

SOLVED; YIKES...
The game is dated Build14 3Aug 2018 so right up to date. I included the excellent extra fix you added.
Where I have made mistakes before is in PROGRAMS, I had been changing the side step to 1 about a third down under General settings;
this partly works as you can side step but only without the sword, draw the sword and the option doesn't work so death follows.

I scrolled down to the bottom of internal settings H files and lo and behold there under Testing Toggles you can switch side step.
Nobody pointed that out and although you coders all know this, us lot with mushy peas for brain cells need telling.
So if anyone in the same IQ bracket as me has this issue just alter the Testing Toggles side step to 1 at the bottom of Internal settings H.
Works perfectly. Even with a sword in your hand.

Thanks for all the help Grey, much appreciated.
I also do not get a heads up if anyone replies or can find out how? So may not know if anyone answers.
Mushy peas again..... Regards.

Couldn't work out how to find or upload a saved game
If you zip it up first, the forum should allow you to post it. :doff

Where I have made mistakes before is in PROGRAMS, I had been changing the side step to 1 about a third down under General settings;
this partly works as you can side step but only without the sword, draw the sword and the option doesn't work so death follows.

I scrolled down to the bottom of internal settings H files and lo and behold there under Testing Toggles you can switch side step.
Are there two different toggles on sidestep? That's confusing indeed!
I only remember the one from InternalSettings.h, which is indeed the correct one.
It used to be enabled by default, but too many players complained about its imperfections, so we hid it away...

There are some more settings in "InternalSettings.h":
Code:
// Motion control
#define SIDESTEP_DIST_LEFT               0.05   // FLOAT - Default=0.05, distance traveled per step when sidestepping to the LEFT
#define SIDESTEP_DIST_RIGHT               0.05   // FLOAT - Default=0.05, distance traveled per step when sidestepping to the RIGHT
#define SIDESTEP_DELAY                   10       // INT - Default=100, time delay in milliseconds between sidesteps. 1000 / this * dist = rate per second
#define SIDESTEP_CHECK                   0       // BOOL - Off=0, Default=1, Prevent player from teleporting out of location via sidestep. DOESN'T WORK!

But the one which determines whether sidestepping is even enabled is the one at the bottom:
Code:
#define SIDESTEP_ENABLED               0       // You can use sidestep during the game (NOTE: No collision detection!)
If that one is 0, which it is by default, then the other four settings presumably won't do anything.

There are some more settings in "InternalSettings.h":
Code:
// Motion control
#define SIDESTEP_DIST_LEFT               0.05   // FLOAT - Default=0.05, distance traveled per step when sidestepping to the LEFT
#define SIDESTEP_DIST_RIGHT               0.05   // FLOAT - Default=0.05, distance traveled per step when sidestepping to the RIGHT
#define SIDESTEP_DELAY                   10       // INT - Default=100, time delay in milliseconds between sidesteps. 1000 / this * dist = rate per second
#define SIDESTEP_CHECK                   0       // BOOL - Off=0, Default=1, Prevent player from teleporting out of location via sidestep. DOESN'T WORK!

But the one which determines whether sidestepping is even enabled is the one at the bottom:
Code:
#define SIDESTEP_ENABLED               0       // You can use sidestep during the game (NOTE: No collision detection!)
If that one is 0, which it is by default, then the other four settings presumably won't do anything.

Yes, I'm bottom of the class again.
You are both right of course, changing the one at the bottom to 1 let's you slide out of trouble until you gain enough clout in melee and equipment to not need it.
It is a cheat of sorts as I can board then slide overboard until I can heal enough or shoot the bugger before wading back in.

Oddly to my logic
< 'But the one which determines whether sidestepping is even enabled is the one at the bottom:
Code:
#define SIDESTEP_ENABLED               0       // You can use sidestep during the game (NOTE: No collision detection!) >

'SIDESTEP_ENABLED  0  // BOOL - Off=0, Default=1,' should be labelled the opposite //you [I][B][U]cannot[/U][/B][/I] use sidestep???

But code & mobile phones baffle me anyway.
At least no need now to keep loading a new game.
All the best, Regards.
[QUOTE="Grey Roger, post: 570628, member: 7679"]#define SIDESTEP_ENABLED               0       // You can use sidestep during the game (NOTE: No collision detection!)
If that one is 0, which it is by default, then the other four settings presumably won't do anything.[/QUOTE]

It is a cheat of sorts as I can board then slide overboard until I can heal enough or shoot the bugger before wading back in.
Very true. I suppose it's up to the player choose between "cheating" and "not cheating".

And I think you're right... the default for 'SIDESTEP_ENABLED' used to be 1, but we changed it at some point.
Looks like we forgot to update the description to match. My apologies for causing you all this confusion... :oops:

The comment will be changed to "// BOOL - 0 (default) = off, 1 = on: you can use sidestep during the game (NOTE: No collision detection!)". That should be a bit clearer.

If you want to cheat, you may want to look at the very bottom line of "InternalSettings.h". ;)

If we are talking about sidestep: I wonder if it's possible to create an ability which improves the speed of running, swimming, swinging/stealth/unstealth the sword, taking out the gun to shoot etc.?
Or increasing the acceleration/decceleration of the ship adn increasing the cargo capacity (if I'm correct, these two is present in AoP... maybee?)? Those are the only things I miss as abilities.

Personal running and swimming speed is handled by the animation file associated with a model. I don't think it would be possible to have an ability to boost your speed without (a) giving the same boost to everyone else using the same character model, and (b) losing it if you change outfit, which means changing your character model. The same applies to taking out the sword or gun.

Increasing a ship's speed is certainly possible and already in the game. Visit a shipyard and look at the upgrades. The only one which increases your cargo capacity is the corsair refit which is only available in pirate shipyards, but several upgrades improve your speed and turn rate.

Personal running and swimming speed is handled by the animation file associated with a model. I don't think it would be possible to have an ability to boost your speed without (a) giving the same boost to everyone else using the same character model, and (b) losing it if you change outfit, which means changing your character model. The same applies to taking out the sword or gun.
If I recall, that is more possible than you might think.
@Jack Rackham added some functionality for that to the mod quite a while back.
But it's intended use (Bartolomeu's storyline extension) hasn't been finished yet, so it still goes unused.

Yes I did it as a quest item (moccasins) that you can equip to run faster for Bartolomeu's quest.
When equipped (in INTERFACE\items.c):

Code:
if(itmName == "moccasins")
            {
                if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "moccasins"))
                {
                    //RELEASE
                    SetModel(Pchar, pchar.model, "man", "man", 1.8, true);
                    PlaySound("PEOPLE\clothes1.wav");
                }
                else
                {
                    //EQUIP
                    SetModel(Pchar, pchar.model, "fast_man", "man", 1.8, true);
                    PlaySound("PEOPLE\clothes1.wav");

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "skull_ring")) RemoveCharacterEquip(Pchar, EQUIP_ITEM_TYPE);
                    if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "filled_pipe")) RemoveCharacterEquip(Pchar, EQUIP_ITEM_TYPE);
                    Pchar.skull_ring = "off";
                    Pchar.filled_pipe = "released";

LAi_QuestDelay("moccasins_equip", 2.0);
                    LAi_QuestDelay("skull_ring_release", 2.0);
                }

LAi_QuestDelay("skull_ring_hp", 0.1);
            }

The interesting line is the bold one. It calls another animation file than the usual. An animation file which has a higher
running speed value.

Problem 1: if we do something similar to allow a perk to make the player character run faster, your code is going to have to restore the character to whichever previous animation was previously used - standard or perk-improved.

Problem 2: if that's specifically for the "Bartolomeu" quest then you can reasonably assume that the player is using one of the "Bartolomeu" models. But this is going to break if the player visits a tailor and buys any outfit which doesn't use the basic "man" animation. Among those are "33_Ronald" and "Devlin".

As for the fast-running perk, it would need fast versions of every animation used in the game for character models, and would need to be updated if anyone adds a new animation.

For me it's fine with the fast running only as a quest thing. It has a purpose there too
not just for fun. To avoid the boulder chasing after you in tunnel.

Increasing a ship's speed is certainly possible and already in the game. Visit a shipyard and look at the upgrades. The only one which increases your cargo capacity is the corsair refit which is only available in pirate shipyards, but several upgrades improve your speed and turn rate.
Thanks! Yes, I discovered, that the animation files handle the movements. I downloaded the double running speed mod a while ago, and I tweaked them a little bit to my liking - and the swimming speed, because that is too slow - since the stock game.
Are you talking about the ships' max. speed increase only? Because I didn't notice the upgrades affect the acceleration of the ships yet. Maybe I'm just a bit inattentive.

I think it probably does just change the maximum speed. Acceleration isn't a property of a ship which is stored; it's probably calculated based on wind speed and direction, along with the ship's sail layout. You can improve your acceleration in a cross-wind by taking the "Stay sails" upgrade, which means you won't be penalised as heavily if the wind isn't directly behind you. Beyond that, this is part of the balance of ship types - if you want something with good speed and acceleration, take a frigate rather than a man of war. ;)

I think it probably does just change the maximum speed. Acceleration isn't a property of a ship which is stored; it's probably calculated based on wind speed and direction, along with the ship's sail layout.
Wouldn't that also be handled through the inertia values?
I think that's how the ship behaviour in Realistic Game Mode was adjusted as well.

// INT - 0=default: Cursed items can be dumped or given away. 1 = cursed coins, 2 = cursed albatross, 0 = neither, 3 = both
This line do not have any function any more.

Could you upload your version of "PROGRAM\INTERFACE\itemsbox.c"? That is where the code to handle the albatross and coins is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back