• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I. ;) But it's a necessary evil. For one thing, it brings clue to those who have none. What might be obvious to us as quest writers because we know what's supposed to happen, might not be obvious to a player approaching the quest for the first time. You don't want players to get stuck because they can't work out what to do next, conclude that the quest is broken, and never play it again...

And it is another way of letting people know that the quest exists. This is particularly important for "A Family Story", which only applies to one FreePlay character and then only after enough free-playing to reach level 10. For similar reasons, I wrote a walkthrough for my quest for Hornblower, "The Natividad Incident" - and, like you, I preferred to do actual modding, so it took me rather a long time to get started. xD That walkthrough is in its own part of the wiki, Character-Specific Side Quests, which would also be the perfect place for a walkthrough for "A Family Story".

Hello. I have a question. I wanna change IMPORT/EXPORT goods here PROGRAM\ISLANDS\Islands_init.c does trade algorithm will be working properly after that? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey guys.
Im playing my 3rd playthrough as I decided to quit my first 2 games halfway in due to amount of bad missions and other glitches I encountered.
Just trying to stay away from everything that might mess up my game or make it impossible to continue playing this time (especially opium which creates few bugs/glitches within the game)
Playing Tales of Sea Hawk Build 14 Beta with new update.

Bugs/cheats/glitches I have encountered so far:

1. Its impossible to loot corpses and chests during boarding battles with space button, the only way to do that is manually by opening Action Menu with Enter button for every corpse/chest which makes it super long and annoying.

2. Impossible to loot your dead companions everywhere in the game. I lost best swords and other equipment plenty of times this way.

3. It is possible to kill street merchants with poisoned knife looting them out of millions of gold and equipment at the very beginning of the game. There is no karma loss for doing so and Merchant Guild or city guards dont mind you doing so.

4. Sometimes captains of surrendered ships dont appear on deck preventing you from doing anything except quitting the game. I managed to fight convoy of 10 Spanish ships. Took me 1-2 hours to capture/sink 9 ships and when 10th ship surrendered its captain wasnt present on deck and I had to load previous savegame :(

5. There is no way to finish "The Collector Mission" as collector Ermegildo Caminelo doesnt appear anywhere in San Juan. Spent 3 hours looking for him and he is nowhere to be found and no mission havnt expired yet. It would be probably better just to put him in the tavern.

6. It is also impossible to finish "Mysterious Plants" as Indian that I was supposed to give opium to doesnt appear in any of Cartagenas two taverns. I found him in Cartagena hotel but was unable to talk with him. Now that created few more bugs. Due to carrying opium on me I was unable to fast travel(very annoying). I couldnt sell opium, couldnt drop it, couldnt give it to companion. Also in new update guards dont confiscate your opium anymore so was unable to get rid of it that way to activate fast travel again. The only way to get rid of it was to consume all 200 opium plants that I had on me. As I have mentioned already few weeks ago consuming that many opiums drastically improves all your stats and makes you practically immortal. It gave me around 70 points to my abilities, few hundred extra hp and for some unknown to me reason it makes you immune to enemy swords. I can be surrounded by 10 guards slashing me with swords for 10 minutes and they barley do any damage. So I had 2 choices: quit game cause playing as immortal is kinda boring :rofl or continue playing without fast travel which would be even worse. I believe opium should be completely removed from game as it doesnt contribute anything but bugs and inconveniences. Indians from Mysterious Plants quest could be easily paid with medicaments which would be realistic and historically accurate.

7. I have 3 issues with Crypt in Bridgetown and Speighstown. First of all its almost impossible to navigate those crypts without a map. There are around 8 different entrances/exits. Some of them take you back to the same level that you have just left. Some are invisible. Its very messed up there. Thieving monk should drop all the money he stole upon being killed. Last issue is the way you can abuse/cheat by entering poisonous fog within crypt unlimited number of times therefore increasing your life to even 10 000 hp.

8. There are no maps of some newly added cities.

9. Signing articles with crew system is broken. Crew of my 3 other ships traveling with me suddenly demanded their share of plunder when we were in the middle of ocean, far away from any islands and since loanshark wasnt available they all mutinied against me. There was no way to overcome this mutiny mid-see so I had to load previous savegame. Now I just keep all my money with one of my companions. Requiring loanshark to divide your plunder is just ridiculous , inconvenient and so historically inaccurate. I dont think real pirates needed big city accountants or government officials to divide their plunder :no

10. I believe there should be a limit on stat boosting items. There are just too many of them and those are also too easily accessible. Its possible to max all your stats in the first 10% of game. The same applies to weapons (Nicholas Sharp Sword). Why is it even possible to sail to Isla Muerte, kill Barbarossa and take his Sword that gives you boost to speed and boarding at the very beginning of game?

If I think or encounter anything else I will let you know.

Hello. I have a question. I wanna change IMPORT/EXPORT goods here PROGRAM\ISLANDS\Islands_init.c does trade algorithm will be working properly after that? Thanks.
To be honest, I don't know. Try it! But first, make a copy of "Islands_init.c" as it is now. If you end up breaking the game, or you decide that you want it back the way it is now for any other reason, it's easy to just copy the original file back into place.

Its impossible to loot corpses and chests during boarding battles with space button, the only way to do that is manually by opening Action Menu with Enter button for every corpse/chest which makes it super long and annoying.
How about F3?

Impossible to loot your dead companions everywhere in the game. I lost best swords and other equipment plenty of times this way.
Not sure if that's intentional. Don't you think that giving good stuff to others should carry some risk?

It is possible to kill street merchants with poisoned knife looting them out of millions of gold and equipment at the very beginning of the game. There is no karma loss for doing so and Merchant Guild or city guards dont mind you doing so.
That's odd... I thought the Merchant Guild should care about that.

Sometimes captains of surrendered ships dont appear on deck preventing you from doing anything except quitting the game. I managed to fight convoy of 10 Spanish ships. Took me 1-2 hours to capture/sink 9 ships and when 10th ship surrendered its captain wasnt present on deck and I had to load previous savegame :(
Looks like @Grey Roger may have found the answer to that one: Unconfirmed Bug - Marie Celeste

I have 3 issues with Crypt in Bridgetown and Speighstown. First of all its almost impossible to navigate those crypts without a map. There are around 8 different entrances/exits. Some of them take you back to the same level that you have just left. Some are invisible. Its very messed up there. Thieving monk should drop all the money he stole upon being killed. Last issue is the way you can abuse/cheat by entering poisonous fog within crypt unlimited number of times therefore increasing your life to even 10 000 hp.
It's supposed to be a nasty, evil, cursed maze; so no wonder that it's difficult there! And with plenty of risk. :whipa

I think we thought about that fog before and we figured it's not much of a cheat.
If a player really wants to grind so much of their own spare time to get such a high HP, I reckon they deserve the rewards from their hard work! :rofl

There are no maps of some newly added cities.
What kind of city maps do you mean?

Signing articles with crew system is broken. Crew of my 3 other ships traveling with me suddenly demanded their share of plunder when we were in the middle of ocean, far away from any islands and since loanshark wasnt available they all mutinied against me. There was no way to overcome this mutiny mid-see so I had to load previous savegame. Now I just keep all my money with one of my companions. Requiring loanshark to divide your plunder is just ridiculous , inconvenient and so historically inaccurate. I dont think real pirates needed big city accountants or government officials to divide their plunder :no
You should divide the plunder well before morale drops that low.

I agree that dividing the plunder should be possible in some other way, but nobody has done that yet.
Would you be up to that? Compared to other mods, this sounds relatively doable...

I believe there should be a limit on stat boosting items. There are just too many of them and those are also too easily accessible. Its possible to max all your stats in the first 10% of game. The same applies to weapons (Nicholas Sharp Sword). Why is it even possible to sail to Isla Muerte, kill Barbarossa and take his Sword that gives you boost to speed and boarding at the very beginning of game?
There is a setting that limits items from increasing your skills by more than 4 points. You could reduce that number if you want.

As for the awesome items available at the start of the game, how do you propose limiting them?

Hey guys.
Im playing my 3rd playthrough as I decided to quit my first 2 games halfway in due to amount of bad missions and other glitches I encountered.
Just trying to stay away from everything that might mess up my game or make it impossible to continue playing this time (especially opium which creates few bugs/glitches within the game)
For preference, please report bugs here:
Build Mod Bug Tracker
Ideally make a separate report for each bug, then they can be dealt with individually in detail.

That said:
Playing Tales of Sea Hawk Build 14 Beta with new update.

Bugs/cheats/glitches I have encountered so far:

1. Its impossible to loot corpses and chests during boarding battles with space button, the only way to do that is manually by opening Action Menu with Enter button for every corpse/chest which makes it super long and annoying.
You can also go to the corpse, watch for the loot icon, and press F3. Be careful, though - make sure you really are in position to loot and the icon is steady on the screen, because F3 is also the key to go to the next deck if you're not quite in position to loot.

4. Sometimes captains of surrendered ships dont appear on deck preventing you from doing anything except quitting the game. I managed to fight convoy of 10 Spanish ships. Took me 1-2 hours to capture/sink 9 ships and when 10th ship surrendered its captain wasnt present on deck and I had to load previous savegame :(
That one has been properly reported by someone else:
Unconfirmed Bug - Marie Celeste
I think I've fixed it, but only very recently (i.e. last night :D), and the files to do so are in that thread. Please try them!

5. There is no way to finish "The Collector Mission" as collector Ermegildo Caminelo doesnt appear anywhere in San Juan. Spent 3 hours looking for him and he is nowhere to be found and no mission havnt expired yet. It would be probably better just to put him in the tavern.

6. It is also impossible to finish "Mysterious Plants" as Indian that I was supposed to give opium to doesnt appear in any of Cartagenas two taverns. I found him in Cartagena hotel but was unable to talk with him. Now that created few more bugs. Due to carrying opium on me I was unable to fast travel(very annoying). I couldnt sell opium, couldnt drop it, couldnt give it to companion. Also in new update guards dont confiscate your opium anymore so was unable to get rid of it that way to activate fast travel again. The only way to get rid of it was to consume all 200 opium plants that I had on me. As I have mentioned already few weeks ago consuming that many opiums drastically improves all your stats and makes you practically immortal. It gave me around 70 points to my abilities, few hundred extra hp and for some unknown to me reason it makes you immune to enemy swords. I can be surrounded by 10 guards slashing me with swords for 10 minutes and they barley do any damage. So I had 2 choices: quit game cause playing as immortal is kinda boring :rofl or continue playing without fast travel which would be even worse. I believe opium should be completely removed from game as it doesnt contribute anything but bugs and inconveniences. Indians from Mysterious Plants quest could be easily paid with medicaments which would be realistic and historically accurate.
Those are both the work of @Levis, so perhaps he can fix them. (Are you sure you searched San Juan fully? There's a gate just round the corner from the tavern leading to a small area, and Ermegildo Caminero should be in there.)

7. I have 3 issues with Crypt in Bridgetown and Speighstown. First of all its almost impossible to navigate those crypts without a map. There are around 8 different entrances/exits. Some of them take you back to the same level that you have just left. Some are invisible. Its very messed up there. Thieving monk should drop all the money he stole upon being killed. Last issue is the way you can abuse/cheat by entering poisonous fog within crypt unlimited number of times therefore increasing your life to even 10 000 hp.
So, it's too hard to find your way through the crypt, you're liable to lose all your money, and the reward for risking all that is a huge load of HP. Sounds fine to me. ;) (You probably didn't kill the thieving monk. He runs away very fast and disappears. You might have found a different monk, though.)

8. There are no maps of some newly added cities.
There are no maps of older cities either. ;) But you can talk to permanent residents - you can usually tell them from the random visitors because permanent residents don't usually carry weapons. You can ask them the way to various places, such as store and tavern, and then you can fast-travel to those places.

9. Signing articles with crew system is broken. Crew of my 3 other ships traveling with me suddenly demanded their share of plunder when we were in the middle of ocean, far away from any islands and since loanshark wasnt available they all mutinied against me. There was no way to overcome this mutiny mid-see so I had to load previous savegame. Now I just keep all my money with one of my companions. Requiring loanshark to divide your plunder is just ridiculous , inconvenient and so historically inaccurate. I dont think real pirates needed big city accountants or government officials to divide their plunder :no
You can pay the crew to raise their morale, though you'll need to keep leaving worldmap and doing this regularly until you reach a port with a loanshark. The limit before the crew become envious is about 1,000,000 so, when you're approaching that amount, divide plunder before they get upset. (Realistically, as a pirate, you should have signed articles long before you gathered that much - no wonder the crew are annoyed. ;))

The loanshark may not be the most accurate way to divide plunder but it is the way that someone managed to get to work.

10. I believe there should be a limit on stat boosting items. There are just too many of them and those are also too easily accessible. Its possible to max all your stats in the first 10% of game. The same applies to weapons (Nicholas Sharp Sword). Why is it even possible to sail to Isla Muerte, kill Barbarossa and take his Sword that gives you boost to speed and boarding at the very beginning of game?
Stat boosting items are limited, you should only be able to get +4 to any stat at most. If you want a bit more of a challenge, edit "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h", find the setting "ITEM_REALISM", and set it to 1. You won't get bonuses from gems or Indian artefacts then. There's also "MAX_SKILL_INCREASE", so if you think +4 is too much, change that setting. And if you don't want to sail to Isla de Muerte, don't sail to Isla de Muerte - personally I never go there except when I'm playing the "Jack Sparrow" storyline.

Ok. I'll try and let u know. One more thing. In what file located contraband prices? Some times they are too big (like 1700 per unit) or to small(cotton and fruits cost less than on export). Maybe I'll find out what causes it.

The limit before the crew become envious is about 1,000,000 so, when you're approaching that amount, divide plunder before they get upset.
That actually shouldn't be the case. When you're on Divide the Plunder, morale does not depend on the amount of money.
In fact, MORE money means HIGHER morale for Divide the Plunder.

The limit of 1,000,000 applies only when you're not on Divide the Plunder because the crew figures if you have THAT much and aren't sharing, then you're just hoarding it for yourself.
Also doesn't apply to Naval Officers and anyone with a Merchant License.

For Divide the Plunder, morale depends on the amount of money. Morale starts high and as long as you keep successfully increasing your money, morale will stay high.
This goes for approximately 90 days. After that, the crew starts to want to put their money to good use and morale will start dropping.
Eventually there's nothing more you can do about it and they'll mutiny because you kept them at sea for too long.

That actually shouldn't be the case. When you're on Divide the Plunder, morale does not depend on the amount of money.
In fact, MORE money means HIGHER morale for Divide the Plunder.
What I meant was, sign articles before you amass 1,000,000, and therefore before they force you to do it. That way you're not stuck with a crew on the verge of mutiny while you're a long way from the nearest loanshark.

What I meant was, sign articles before you amass 1,000,000, and therefore before they force you to do it. That way you're not stuck with a crew on the verge of mutiny while you're a long way from the nearest loanshark.
Ah! Yes, that's indeed very true. :onya

i love the updates but i hope to see in future updates to add some of theese ships in future Voyage Online some might be already there but some arent,i hope someone can retexture them for ingame as well as add some of the level 9 like the zheng he treasure ship,Colossal Korean Turtle Shaped Ship, and zheng he official ship,heres a wiki to most ships in voyage century,i know this might been requested allot of times but having some asian ships like this will be so cool specially if having a tier 1- or 2 raiding ship that packs allot of speed than armor and cannons or a bigger merchant for better trading

heres a page of the wiki i found randomly Ships

Since the VCO ships are already in the correct file format, this is in theory something you could try yourself. :onya

I'm hoping to put out a new update by the end of this week. Could anyone wanting anything added to it please have it ready by Thursday at the latest so I have time to check it? Otherwise it can always go into the next next update. ;)

@Jack Rackham: Check your "compile.log" when you run that. I suspect you'll get an error message about an undefined item. If so, it's in "PROGRAM\Storyline\WoodesRogers\characters\init\TempQuest.c":
Code:
               //wr 35 crew,           wine attack left 3/4
   ch.old.name = "Rogers'";
   ch.old.lastname = "Crew";
   ch.name = TranslateString("", "Rogers'");
   ch.lastname = TranslateString("", "Crew");
   ch.id       = "wr_wll3";
   ch.model = "wr_wll3";
   ch.sex = "man";
   ch.sound_type = "pirate";
   GiveItem2Character(ch, "blade1_2");
   ch.equip.blade = "blade1-2";
Should that be 'GiveItem2Character(ch, "blade1-2");'?

Normally I just copy anything in "WoodesRogers" specific folders without checking, but this time I have to be careful. I'm merging your stuff with work from @Maximus, who had to add "ch.old.name" and "ch.old.lastname" to any character which didn't already have them for the purpose of his Russian translation. That includes the cast of "WoodesRogers". So I have to check everything with WinMerge, and that's how I found this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back