• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant "enforced" ending.
Was referring to how the original game threw you back into the main menu the second the main quest was over.
Ah yes, I remember reading about this.

For some reason, the Xbox version doesn't stops you from continuing.
And I haven't played the stock version on PC, so I forgot about it.

There were a few paths here and there.
But mostly, I imagine without the mod you would've ended up doing the same things over and over...
Yeah, sooner or later you do the same things, but for me it still hasn't lost the charm.

Of course it is much better with NH installed, so if you play on PC go for NH.
But I didn't play on PC then, so no NH for me.

I meant "enforced" ending.
Was referring to how the original game threw you back into the main menu the second the main quest was over.

There were a few paths here and there.
But mostly, I imagine without the mod you would've ended up doing the same things over and over...
When i was little and didnt understand how to add mods and stuff like that, i thought the new horizons mod was a virus. I actually enjoyed playing the stock game so much because i used to imagine that i owned isla muelle and everywhere else was against me. I loved Douwesen alot. But now im older i can see the new horizons mod just brings together things we never had, plus a completed story mode for nathaniel hawk which makes it so much better. I love having prisoners on my ship also. It is flooded with them!

This talking gorilla scene used to make me laugh so much!!!

Attachments

• 43917556-7F02-439D-ADCF-86705236ED41.jpeg
    43917556-7F02-439D-ADCF-86705236ED41.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 404
When i was little and didnt understand how to add mods and stuff like that, i thought the new horizons mod was a virus. I actually enjoyed playing the stock game so much because i used to imagine that i owned isla muelle and everywhere else was against me. I loved Douwesen alot. But now im older i can see the new horizons mod just brings together things we never had, plus a completed story mode for nathaniel hawk which makes it so much better. I love having prisoners on my ship also. It is flooded with them!
I also didn't know about mods back then, in fact I thought that New Horizons was a new game.

And I also used my imagination to spice things up, can't remember exactly what I did though.

Hello, I'm fairly new to this and I encountered an error during installation. I download the three files mentioned on the first post but it says "Main files archive file not present. Place 'b14_beta4_final.tar' in this folder to continue.

Where do i get this file? It's not included in the first post.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm fairly new to this and I encountered an error during installation. I download the three files mentioned on the first post but it says "Main files archive file not present. Place 'b14_beta4_final.tar' in this folder to continue.

Where do i get this file? It's not included in the first post.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.
Yeh same happened with me a while back but i fixed it. I did have the game in my program files but this caused it to not work properly. No log was produced and saving did not work properly. It never asked you to overwrite a save game, it just saved and made many copies of the same game XD. The games in my documents now and works much more better. I completed the hornblower story and nathaniels one also. Just having fun on it now :D

Could someone be so kind as to give me a link to the latest update please? Also I just transferred the installators of the mods and saves to my laptop and it tells me that my saves are invalid, is there a way I can fix this? The last update I downloaded was the one which added Geralt of Rivia and the Dutch guy (his quest was all in Dutch which I didn't play, since I don't understand Dutch, even though I should really start learning it)

Could someone be so kind as to give me a link to the latest update please?
Latest update is in the opening post of this thread:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_25May_updates.zip

I just transferred the installators of the mods and saves to my laptop and it tells me that my saves are invalid, is there a way I can fix this?
You could lower the IS_SGV value in PROGRAM\globals.c until your savegames are accepted again.
Not sure how safe that is though; @Grey Roger usually increases the number for a good reason.

the Dutch guy (his quest was all in Dutch which I didn't play, since I don't understand Dutch, even though I should really start learning it)
There's no actual quest for him. It's just the character description that is in Dutch.

Geralt doesn't have a quest yet either, but I know @The Nameless Pirate wants to add one.

I have so many files to upload so I've decided to make a new zip. Yesterday I got the ftp to work again (using winSCP).
So please upload what you've got and I'll do my very best.
I have got @pedrwyth' s Apothecary quest files and @sergio's new characters. But not the complete @GreyRoger's. I'm sure there are more.

Hello! Sorry for bad English.
Didn't wanted to necropost in that thread, but feel free to move it if nesessary.
Asking about this post and in particular:
>>object - an object. Basically, a string that can have attributes (which are strings), that can have attributes, and so on. Check the Plea thread for more details.
>>ref - check the Plea thread for more details
>>aref - ditto
Can someone tell me where I can find this "Plea thread"? Had searched it, no luck.
Trying to learn PotC modding, so understanding of such basics is important.

Also, can someone send me or upload somewhere "keywords.c" from New Horizons (ideally an entire "Program" folder or where all its scripts are located)? I don't have much Internet traffic left to download the whole mod.

Last edited:
check the Plea thread for more details
Wow; that was posted before I was even part of this community!
I haven't a clue what it refers to.

ideally an entire "Program" folder or where all its scripts are located
See attached.
Also uploaded RESOURCE\INI and the explanatory document @Thagarr compiled.

Hope you find something useful in there.

Attachments

• PROGRAM.7z
    4.7 MB · Views: 321
  • INI.7z
    983.6 KB · Views: 308
  • New Horizons Tutorials & History.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 502
>>ref - check the Plea thread for more details
>>aref - ditto

I believe the ref/aref types are to denote the variables as being addresses, or an array of addresses (For aref).
Which you can see in C, that the & is used for them, which is to return the address of a variable.

I don't know this game's engine well at all, I've barely just started looking through some files, but that's my first assumption.

Thanks, Pieter Boelen and BobJimmy! Now I'm a little closer to solving this mystery, but still not enough

I don't have a lot of problems directly related to learning things about C++ part, there's more information available than I can read in my whole life. But as for the unique features of PotC language, I have to collect pieces of knowledge throughout the Internet, piece by piece.
And not all questions are answered. Things like object, attributes, ref and aref - like pimples on LEGO, while they're gone I can't get this constructor in my brain even having all the blocks and having access to things already built.

The most confusing part is that the code itself is inconsistent in its use of these very things. Functions expecting for "ref" parameter get "aref" and vice versa (and the most weird thing is: it just works!! Todd_Howard.jpg). I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this (and I can give more examples from vanilla PotC), but the question is still unanswered.

EDIT: rewording and typos

Last edited:
Indeed the PotC code is oddly forgiving.
Except when weird stuff slips in.

Good thing at least that a lot can be done without understanding all the intricacies.
I've been at it since 2004 and I still don't understand the difference between a ref and an aref.
(@BobJimmy's expansion does make a fair bit of sense though. :onya )

Usually I just find a bit of code that looks like what I want to so.
And then copy and adapt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back