• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only just really noticed that for what's been probably a few days, I can't hear any music no more in certain locations including stores, shipyards and townhalls (but not taverns). Could this have anything to do with the update? I'm confused.

I only just really noticed that for what's been probably a few days, I can't hear any music no more in certain locations including stores, shipyards and townhalls (but not taverns). Could this have anything to do with the update? I'm confused.
Can you upload "system.log"? If sound files fail to play, that's where there will usually be a clue. If there is an "error.log" file, upload that too.

Once again, apologies for fouling up the 2nd July update.

If you already installed that and then installed the corrected "initModels.c" from @pedrwyth in post #19756, your game should be fine.

Otherwise, the update has been corrected:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_25May_updates_050721.zip

This time I'm taking no chances! I made a new install with the 25th May installer, unzipped the new update straight into it, and checked that the game worked. Since then I haven't made even the slightest, most innocuous change to the update. So the 5th July version should be good.

Wasn't it me who messed up "initModels.c"?

I'll upload system.log later, I think there is no error.log. I only consciously noticed the absence of music yesterday late in the evning, although I've had the subconscious feeling something was missing before.

The only thing I then checked myself yesterday was the file that assigns music files to location sound types (I think) and I found nothing in there with the search words "townhall" and "residence"...

Wasn't it me who messed up "initModels.c"?
No, you got "PERSONAL_NATION" right and I messed up when copying it into my version of "initModels.c".

The only thing I then checked myself yesterday was the file that assigns music files to location sound types (I think) and I found nothing in there with the search words "townhall" and "residence"...
The file which assigns music groups to location sound types is "PROGRAM\sound\sound.c". For "residence", it has this:
Code:
       case "residence":
           SetSoundScheme("residence");
           //a simple virtual sailor change -->
           if(CheckAttribute(loc,"townsack"))
               location_or_nation=GettownNation(loc.townsack);
           else
               location_or_nation=GetLocationNation(loc);
// KK -->
           switch(location_or_nation) {
               case ENGLAND: SetMusicAlarm("music_english_governor"); break;//changed by MAXIMUS -->
               case FRANCE: SetMusicAlarm("music_french_governor"); break;
               case SPAIN: SetMusicAlarm("music_spanish_governor"); break;
               case PIRATE: SetMusicAlarm("music_pirate_governor"); break;
               case HOLLAND: SetMusicAlarm("music_dutch_governor"); break;
               case PORTUGAL: SetMusicAlarm("music_portugal_governor"); break;//changed by MAXIMUS <--
               case GUEST1_NATION: // DeathDaisy: added swedish music
                   if(GetCurrentPeriod() > PERIOD_EARLY_EXPLORERS && GetCurrentPeriod() < PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS){
                           SetMusicAlarm("music_swedish_governor");
                   } else{   SetMusicAlarm("music_american_governor"); }
               break;
               //case AMERICA: SetMusicAlarm("music_american_governor"); break;
               case PERSONAL_NATION:   SetMusicAlarm("music_personal_governor"); break; // DeathDaisy: added music for personal governor
           }
           //SetMusicAlarm("music_gubernator");
// <-- KK
           //a simple virtual sailor change <--
           break;
Depending on nation, it sets the music to "music_english_governor", "music_french_governor" etc. And those are defined in "PROGRAM\sound\ALIAS\music_standard.c", e.g.:
Code:
   tmpref.music_english_governor.f1.name = "MUSIC\TownGovMansion-002.ogg";           // MAXIMUS: Sid Meier's Pirates
   tmpref.music_english_governor.f2.name = "MUSIC\TownGovMansion-006.ogg";           // MAXIMUS: Sid Meier's Pirates
There won't be much difference in "Early Explorers" where most of the town halls are Spanish, but in other periods, the music in Martinique town hall should be different from that in Port Royale town hall.

Downloaded and unzipped the July 5 update and the game wouldn't load. there was no error file but I have uploaded the compile log.

Attachments

• compile.log
    311 bytes · Views: 170
How exactly did you install the game?

I installed it over the May 19 update and when I try to configure it says options file may have been missed. And it looks like it is missing I am sure I deleted any idea how to get it back without reinstalling every thing. I am unzipping this to the POTC file. Should I be unziping to the program file?

Last edited:
I tried the update again. The options file is back. I was able to configure the game, but it still wouldn't load.

Attachments

• compile.log
    311 bytes · Views: 180
Can you upload "system.log"? If sound files fail to play, that's where there will usually be a clue. If there is an "error.log" file, upload that too.
Here, I visited shipyard, store, townhall and church without hearing any music in any of them...

Attachments

• compile.log
    15.8 KB · Views: 169
  • system.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 173
@BathtubPirate: thanks for the report. There's nothing in the log files relating to the sound problem but I found it anyway. There was a mistake in "PROGRAM\sound\sound.c". Yet another attempt at an update is uploading even now...

@Jason: it looks as though your installation is messed up somehow. You will probably need to reinstall the whole game.
I am unzipping this to the POTC file. Should I be unziping to the program file?
The update should be copied to the top level of the PoTC folder, not to the "PROGRAM" sub-folder.

Yes and no. You won't see any effect from the fix to storylines unless you start a new game, and in fact it was your report of the missing crewman in San Juan tavern which prompted me to check "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and other storylines. Your current game is already past that point. ;) But the fix to the sound file will work right away in your existing game - I even tested it by loading up a savegame and then heading for the store.

@BathtubPirate: thanks for the report. There's nothing in the log files relating to the sound problem but I found it anyway. There was a mistake in "PROGRAM\sound\sound.c". Yet another attempt at an update is uploading even now...

@Jason: it looks as though your installation is messed up somehow. You will probably need to reinstall the whole game.

The update should be copied to the top level of the PoTC folder, not to the "PROGRAM" sub-folder.
Thanks Grey, that was my conclusion as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back