• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 12th January 2024]

I have install this, and now, my old save is fucked!!!! I was a prety rich guy in the Caribbean befor this shit!
Did you not see the warning in the first post? ;)
Compatibility: New Game mandatory!

But all might not be lost. Which version of the game were you playing when you had that savegame?

If you're not sure, start the updated game. Try to load your savegame. Then quit the game entirely and post "compile.log", which you should find in the top level of the game installation folder. That should show me the version of the game in which the savegame was created.

Depending on which version you were playing before, it might be possible to make the updated game read your save. Repeat - it might be possible - no guarantees!

Depending on which version you were playing before, it might be possible to make the updated game read your save. Repeat - it might be possible - no guarantees!
You can always force it with IS_SVG.
Probably run into weirdness then.
But that is the price you must pay to keep what you have.

That is what I was thinking of. Apart from the attempt in the January 2022 installer to kill off Build 14 by setting IS_SVG to 14.999, the only time it's changed is when something in the newer version will actively break an existing campaign. The previous time I had to change IS_SVG was when a system variable had changed; without the change to IS_SVG, the game would then happily load an old savegame, play as long as you liked, and then crash when you attempted to save again.

Since Build 14 is still active, I put IS_SVG back to what it was in the last update of December. So if @pelle71 started a game with the January version and then installed the update, all he needs to do is edit "PROGRAM\globals.c" and change IS_SVG to 14.999. Nothing game-breaking was added to the January install, nor to the April update, so that should be safe.

But the next update is going to include the new row of Pirate flags, and that does cause weirdness if it's added into an existing campaign. The texture files don't cause a problem but changing PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY from 5 to 6 does. So along with the update, I'll probably post an alternative version of "globals.c" with PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY and IS_SVG put back to their December/April values.

Since Build 14 is still active, I put IS_SVG back to what it was in the last update of December.
:facepalm

But the next update is going to include the new row of Pirate flags, and that does cause weirdness if it's added into an existing campaign. The texture files don't cause a problem but changing PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY from 5 to 6 does. So along with the update, I'll probably post an alternative version of "globals.c" with PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY and IS_SVG put back to their December/April values.
Just up the number to 15.000 like you're supposed to, man!
Why would you fuss over that tiny little digit at the end?
Time to move forward. At least by that much. :facepalm

So if I manually set PIRATEFLAGS_TEXTURES_QUANTITY to 6 right now when I start a new game, I'll have a little wierdness for a bit, but once you release that update it'll go back to normal without me needing to start yet another new game?

If you want to try the extra pirate flags, download this, unzip it and copy it into place. Then start a new game.

Attachments

• pirate_flags.zip
    288.2 KB · Views: 97
This game is so beautiful. Late night i see a bunch of ships dogin in a fight long long way of my starboard, on the way to Jamaica. I just love this, you can play as a asshole or just a freight hauler who just want to make money legally. Well, i'm that freight hauler :D

Hello guys! First of all, thanks for the amazing work! New Horizons has become my favorite from all of the Sea Dogs games and addons. I've been playing for quite a while now, however, I updated to the latest build only yesterday, and I have a small question. Was the distance between islands decreased in the Iron Mad mode? It took me just a few minutes to get from Puerto Rico to Nevis, and then I got to Saint Martin within 5 minutes or so, missing Nevis entirely. I was using the x20 speed-up, however, I was using it before the update and I'm pretty sure that it took longer to get there. FYI, the ship I used was Caravela Redonda.

Well, it's been many years but I've recently been having an early 30's childhood reminiscence period and dived back in to all things Piratey, including this game.
I installed and set all up yesterday and tested it and so far all seems a-ok. I wanted to ask however, is there a method to play the original story mode through the New Horizons mod?

I'm hoping and or assuming that launching using the default Nathaniel character and so on will lead that way but thought I'd check, as I've run through the tutorial missions and unfortunatley my memory is a little foggy as to where to go next, and my quest log is all complete.

I intend to have a separate save to be a full dastardly pirate and roam the seas freely, but I was also keen to replay the story as I enjoyed that for what it is back in the day, prior to all the mods launching. The superb additions in New Horizons however make me want to play with all those benefits...

Well, it's been many years but I've recently been having an early 30's childhood reminiscence period and dived back in to all things Piratey, including this game.
I installed and set all up yesterday and tested it and so far all seems a-ok. I wanted to ask however, is there a method to play the original story mode through the New Horizons mod?

I'm hoping and or assuming that launching using the default Nathaniel character and so on will lead that way but thought I'd check, as I've run through the tutorial missions and unfortunatley my memory is a little foggy as to where to go next, and my quest log is all complete.

I intend to have a separate save to be a full dastardly pirate and roam the seas freely, but I was also keen to replay the story as I enjoyed that for what it is back in the day, prior to all the mods launching. The superb additions in New Horizons however make me want to play with all those benefits...
:ahoyYou can definitely play the original story mode through the "Tales of a Sea Hawk" storyline starring Nathaniel Hawk. Names have changed in New Horizon for historical accuracy purposes if I remember correctly but all the little things in the original game should be included there, just a better version of it. The PA wiki should guide you when in doubt to include the walkthroughs for all the side quests and new quests available.

And you can definitely play the "Free Play" storyline where you can pretty much just do whatever you want without a main story to follow. A lot of side quests to do there as well.

Happy sailing in the Caribbean! :pflag:beer:

Thank you for that! I didn't think to hunt down a Wiki, so my apologies. I've just had a look through it all though and looks like I'll be wading to Jamaica tonight after work to get things started. Nothing like a good nostalgia kick to push the week along!

Hey guys, thanks for keeping this game alive, its much appreciated.

I'm trying to install on a new windows 11 machine, is there anything specific I need to do for this?

I installed the base game to a separate folder outside of program files, put the 2 build 14 files into another folder and installed to my game location, extracted the jan 1st update to the game location, and it crashes upon a new game everytime its ran (even as admin or compatibility mode)

Hey guys, thanks for keeping this game alive, its much appreciated.

I'm trying to install on a new windows 11 machine, is there anything specific I need to do for this?

I installed the base game to a separate folder outside of program files, put the 2 build 14 files into another folder and installed to my game location, extracted the jan 1st update to the game location, and it crashes upon a new game everytime its ran (even as admin or compatibility mode)
Click this. If you don't have two GPU's, skip step 4. If you only have Intel Graphics card on your system, mind step 2; you should definitely want to install the intel fix.

I wanted to ask however, is there a method to play the original story mode through the New Horizons mod?
I encourage you to try different stories as well. Personally, as a huge stock game nostalgic, I've never played the Nathaniel Hawk storyline in the quest even once, I've been reaching for the new stuff from the beginning.

Another update is now available:
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_210722.zip

New to this update:
. Several bugs have been fixed, including:
. Reloading a musket+bayonet leaves you equipped with a sword rather than your fists, thanks to @Jack Rackham;
. Extra traders which spawn when you bring crewmembers ashore no longer appear on top of existing traders;

. Brothels are overhauled. Some did not show up properly, or at all, in fast travel. Some did not work properly when you went in. They do now. The owner of the establishment is now more easily identified, will definitely (after being paid) send you to the bedroom, where you can chat to the lady with whom you spent time.

. Baldewyn Coffier and Sabine Matton have been further improved by @pedrwyth. You can now choose to pay Sabine a salary, either by giving raises when you want, or having her paid the same as any other officer. And if you lend Baldewyn money to get back into business, you'll now see how he puts your money to use as he buys out one of the street traders. (Not Patric Cardone - his quest is still safe! Baldewyn replaces the other, non-quest trader.)

But the biggest change is storylines. @BathtubPirate has added a whole new chapter to "Devlin Opera". It's still a work in progress and shorter than other stories, but there are two places where you have a choice of ways to proceed. I recommend saving game just before mooring at San Pedro, and again before mooring at Santiago de Cuba. You can then try all three paths at both points.

Meanwhile, @Sebrian has been extending "Hoist the Colours" to cover events from "Dead Man's Chest", with new locations provided by @Jack Rackham. Warning: you'll need to start a new game for this, you can't continue an existing "Hoist the Colours" campaign, because the new material includes new characters and locations which won't exist in an older save. Do it - start a new game and continue the adventure after escaping to the Black Pearl, you don't want to miss out on the new chapter!

Attachments

• fixes.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
"PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_common.c": officers recruited in tavern try to fill an empty slot, otherwise become passengers, rather than occupy a specified slot and displace any officer already there - Grey Roger 4/7/22

This is a nice improvement! ;)

Back