• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 patch 6 works initially, but crashes after 4 days of not playing

mTk

Landlubber
First of all I would like to say hello to the members of these forums. I am new here to the forums, but I have been playing the mod since Build 13 a year or so ago.

I recently started playing again, and I'm loving the sheer fun of Build 14. After playing for a few days, I took a break from the game for 4 days (real-life priorities took over for a while). And now I wanted to return to my last save game.

I am on the Jack Sparrow quest line.

(SPOILER ALERT)

I saved at the point just before meeting Christopher Mings, before I decided to sail off to retrieve the Wicked Wench from Turks Island. The game crashes if I go to the port (either by "using" the door or Fast Travel), or my ship.

I tried reloading earlier saves and the same things happened. Some of my earlier saves even crash the game immediately upon loading.

These are the contents of my compile log file:

Gauging: StartGauging
Gauging: starting init
Gauging: interface
==> BuildSettings: Sets to default
==> BuildSettings: New settings applied
Gauging: load build settings
Gauging: periods
Gauging: nations
Gauging: preprocessor
Init encounters complete.
Gauging: enc
Gauging: cann
Gauging: ships
Gauging: islands
Init weathers complete. 0 weathers found.
Gauging: weather
Gauging: perks
InitModels: Total number of models: 613
Gauging: models
InitSounds (English): created 59 entries.
InitMusic: created 43 entries.
InitGreetings: created 257 entries.
InitTalks: created 20 entries.
Gauging: Aliases
Gauging: sound
Gauging: goods
Gauging: Storylines
Gauging: Profiles
Main_LogoVideo() 0
PauseAllSounds
proc_break_video()
ResumeAllSounds
Main_LogoVideo() -1
Gauging: initgame start
Gauging: createlayers
Gauging: stores
Gauging: sound
Gauging: delete sea env
Gauging: wdmap
Gauging: islands
Number of locations: 747
Gauging: locations
Gauging: dialogs
Gauging: teleport
bool CreateParticleEntity()
Gauging: particles
Items initialization complete. Loaded 641 items.
Gauging: items
Gauging: char
Gauging: quests
Gauging: sea ai groups
Gauging: questmapenc
Gauging: landenc
Gauging: towns
Gauging: load options
InitSounds (English): created 59 entries.
InitMusic: created 43 entries.
InitGreetings: created 257 entries.
InitTalks: created 20 entries.
Gauging: Aliases
Gauging: infoshow
Gauging: initgame done
Init character names complete.
SETTING MUSIC: music_main_menu
Done loading
bool CreateParticleEntity()
!!! Reload to 99
** Whr: CreateWeatherEnvironment - iCurWeatherhour = 12, theHour = 12
ItemLogic: On load location Oxbay_town
ItemLogic: found 0 buttons
ItemLogic: Loaded model items\\purse
ItemLogic: Loaded model ammo\\Sandbag
SETTING MUSIC: music_eng_town
locator_name = reload4 lockedReloadLocator =
reload_cur_island_index = -1
reload_cur_location_index = 99
reload_island_index = -1
reload_location_index = 144
Start reload
PauseAllSounds
ReloadStartFade
ItemLogic: On unload location
ReloadEndFade
Bnd: 0, Vag: 0, Sk: 1, Mo: 0, Mu: 0
ItemLogic: On load location Mings_Townhall
Actor error: character <Peter Willemoes> now is not actor, his have type <sit>
SETTING MUSIC: music_english_governor
Actor error: character <Blaze> now is not actor, his have type <player>
Actor error: character <Sir Christopher Mings> now is not actor, his have type <sit>
ActorDialog got error in type_actor_error
Actor error: character <Blaze> now is not actor, his have type <player>
Overup cargo space on 1640
Overup cargo space on 3
locator_name = reload1 lockedReloadLocator =
reload_cur_island_index = -1
reload_cur_location_index = 144
reload_island_index = -1
reload_location_index = 99
Start reload
PauseAllSounds
ReloadStartFade
ReloadEndFade
** Whr: CreateWeatherEnvironment - iCurWeatherhour = 12, theHour = 10
!gWeatherInit Whr_Generator() - Initialized
Bnd: 0, Vag: 1, Sk: 0, Mo: 0, Mu: 0
ItemLogic: On load location Oxbay_town
ItemLogic: Loaded model ammo\\Sandbag
Error!!! Overup maximum crew quantity (character=704)
SETTING MUSIC: music_eng_town
PauseAllSounds
PauseAllSounds
** Whr: CreateWeatherEnvironment - iCurWeatherhour = 10, theHour = 10

Ahoy mTk, welcome aboard mate! :dance

Let's start with the simple stuff... It says in your topic that you have Windows 7, if you installed POTC to it's default install directory in C:\Program Files\, you will have problems especially with save files. Windows 7 treats everything in the Program Files directory as protected operating system files. If this is the case, try copying the folder to a different location, such as C:\Games\ or something. POTC doesn't use in registry entries, so you don't have to do a complete re-install. If that doesn't work, you might try a fresh install to a different location.

Also, can you please post the content of system.log and the possible error.log as well?

Ahoy mTk, welcome aboard mate! :dance

Let's start with the simple stuff... It says in your topic that you have Windows 7, if you installed POTC to it's default install directory in C:\Program Files\, you will have problems especially with save files. Windows 7 treats everything in the Program Files directory as protected operating system files. If this is the case, try copying the folder to a different location, such as C:\Games\ or something. POTC doesn't use in registry entries, so you don't have to do a complete re-install. If that doesn't work, you might try a fresh install to a different location.

Thank you Thagarr and the legendary Pieter Boelen himself!

I did install POTC into C:\POTC instead of in Program Files (learned that lesson by having the mod not even being able to start, initially). However this problem is new. I've actually managed to play the mod with no major issues for a few days prior to this.

These are the contents of my system.log:

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 180 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 55794172 ticks.
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value
Can't load texture resource\textures\.tx

I'm sorry I don't have the slightest idea on where to find error.log, can someone tell me where I can find it? Thanks. :)

The error.log would be in the same spot as the other logs, but sometimes it isn't there if no actual error occurred.
Unfortunately neither system.log nor compile.log shows any reasons for the game crashing.
Could you try starting a new game, then save, close the game and try to load that savegame straight away?
Just to check if saving and loading works at all for you.

It's strange that it would play just fine a few days ago, have you installed anything else recently since you last played? You might also try and defrag your hard drive mate, sometimes that can also cause some strange issues. :shrug

I tried starting a new game in the Nathaniel Hawk plotline and crashed immediately.

The only program I have installed during the few days I didn't play POTC was Windows Movie Maker 2.6, plus a few new fonts. I doubt that would have an effect at all. I'm defragmenting my C drive now, hope this will help with the problem.

Also I think I should have mentioned, the only error message I get is the default Windows error: "POTC New Horizons has stopped working" or something along those lines.

I am not that familiar with Windows Movie Maker, but it is possible that it may have installed some codecs that changed the way certain media files are played on your computer. A while back I ran across a handy little program for tracking down annoying codecs, it's called InstalledCodec. It will let you see a complete list of every codecs installed on your computer, and it will also let you enable and disable them on the fly without having to un-install and re-install them. It's a very handy little program, and it's absolutely free, you can download it from HERE

Hmm, this is strange, upon defragmenting and restarting my computer, the game plays normally again. I guess we won't be able to find out the actual cause of this problem. Sorry for taking up your time guys! This is definitely one of the most user-friendly mod forums I've been to.

On the plus side I am now part of the pirates ahoy crew! Arrrr!

No problem mate, glad you got it sorted! Defraging really does make a difference with POTC, I am not exactly sure why. It should really only make loading times longer, but for some reason, it really gives this game fits! :shrug

Bizarre one; glat to hear it's sorted now. Now go and have fun and let us know what you think! :dance

About defragging.......:boom

This computer has Win7 which has a defrag utility built in. I also have TuneUp Utilities installed, which does a complete system scan including defrag every three days. Somehow, someway my D: drive where POTC is was not getting defragged. It got to the point that that hd was running constantly and I was getting bad fps. Could it be that POTC does not use your system ram and goes straight to your hd? It is always complaining about bad memory.

Anyway, I now have a third defrag utility, Smart Defag2, that is always on and defrags in real time. This one seems to be working. POTC is running much smoother and faster, and the hd is quiet.

So the game has been playable for me so far, other than some minor annoyances like the cloned crew bug. Right now I'm doing the Ammand the Corsair quest, and somehow he didn't appear after I talked to the tavern keeper in Bridgetown. Not sure if this is the right forum to be asking, but is there some way I can just get on with the quest without reloading from an earlier save?

I only used the guide on the wiki to know where to start the quest. At the part where the quest book updates after you talk to the bartender of Bridgetown's tavern (where the QB says "talk to the priests"), I fast-traveled to the church. Then I traveled to Port Royale but nope, no priests to talk to. Only after I read the guide did I realise that Ammand is supposed to appear "upon leaving the tavern". Now he just refuses to appear even when I exit the tavern using the door.

You dont fast travel to church :no

I thought fast travel should have been disabled :facepalm

Go back to tavern and walk outside ;)

Back