• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Camera at sloop and cutter at wrong height

Captain Rick

Sailor Apprentice
I was sure I found a answer for this once upon a time but cant for the life of me find it. My sailors on deck are munchkins is this a normal bug, does it have a fix?

What are "munchkins"? You mean they're too small?
If I recall, we deliberately downsized the crew at some point because they were actually far too big for the size of the ships.
Not all ships are made exactly to scale though, so you can't get it 100% right.

Well yes on the cutter they can barely see over the rails :) One of the other ships I was using was same, so if you downsized them for the new ships then it makes sense they are tiny on the original ship models.

The crew on all ships are the same size, so if they look like munchkins to you it is caused by the camera locator on the particular ship you are sailing. They are not munchkins, you are a giant!

So, which ship are you sailing?

EDIT: The Cutter? No one sails that ship so it has never been touched. It probably has the original camera and the smaller crew.

food for thought can the be scaled on the fly? a "tweak squids" variable in the ships list so each ship has its own size? or did you have to make new models?

Yeah I like the cutter and the sloops for screwing around (classic pirate boats) the sloops jib swings wrong way so I use the cutter as a starting boat all the time.

Try this. Adjusting the camera only takes a minute in TOOL but I have no idea how much to lower it.

Unzip them into your POTC-->resource-->models--->ship folder and let them overwrite the existing cutter 1 and 2.

Attachments

• cutters.7z
    182.9 KB · Views: 78
I seem to remember we deliberately increased the height of the camera on the cutter, because otherwise you cannot see over the bow.
In other words, you wouldn't be able to see where you're going. :facepalm

Unfortunately the crewmembers were scaled by their models, so this cannot be adjusted per ship. I wish.... :(

It is relatively easy to disable crewmembers on certain ships. Would that be an option?

Nah Pieter, that's man hours spent covering up something easy to ignore, just wanted to know if I had mucked something up or there was a simple fix for it. Its simple enough to just turn off first person sailors when I'm slumming on noob ships.

any comments on this?

I started a game last night as Hawk and spent a lot of time aboard that lugger, it seems the whole size reference in original game was kind of hosed and making sailors smaller just seems to of called my attention to it. I see were the sailors are now the "right size" I guess I don't buy the ships rails would come up to my neck even though the camera position indicates they do. as the sailors move away the "depth perception" seems to shrink them more then seems right to me. All in all it seems like a can of worms to deal with the cutter is same the camera indicates the rails come up to my neck when I "feel" they should come to my waist or low on my chest wich is I think what the old sailor size showed even though the camera has me "short" the new ships may be scaled better then the original ships so as I progress it might all seem right. I have never gotten very far in the game for a lot of reasons mainly Im allways torn between vanilla CAOS and New Horizons. You guys keep making New Horizons more and more attractive keep up the good work!

Ok just did some checking. Now this is one mans opinion but the Surprise. Jack Aubry's ship. I feel like the rails are "right" in reference to my camera height I don't feel "short" so if you walk around that ship it feels right to me and if you then look at sailors they are short in reference to your camera height. This to me is what a ships rail should be tall enough to hide behind when you got incoming hate but low enough to stow your rope on and be a proper look out. http://d3.static.dvidshub.net/media/thumbs/photos/1307/971455/450x299_q95.jpg

Again, this is a problem with original game , hell even CAOS does same thing, my opinion is your "fix" made the problem worse not better by calling even more attention to it. Its one thing among millions you guys did "right" in my opinion and I haven't spent enough time on all the different ships to suggest a solution. Making me taller might then screw up my reference to the ships wheel ect. Im changing my original gripe though to "why are the sailors munchkins like me :p"

Lager size sailor models should still be in Build 13. You can see about restoring those. Perhaps that would look better to you?
If the correct ones aren't in there, AoP does have them. That's where we sourced the current ones from.

The camera height on the Cutter is intentional to ensure you can look ahead from the on deck camera mode.
If I recall, @Hylie Pistof made that change after I got annoyed with it when playing the Jack Sparrow storyline for a bit.

I have no memory of that. All I remember is that I hate those things and so insisted on keeping them when you wanted to delete them from the game.

Back