• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Can anyone identify this ship?

Asquinol

Sailor Apprentice
Ahoy mates, I have this wood model of a ship for as long as I can remember. My parents kept it on their mantle and I have had it on mine for at least 25 years. The problem is that it has endured numerous storms over the years and has suffered serious rigging and hull damage. The nameplate was also lost at some point over the years and the crew took the lifeboats when they abandoned ship. I would like to restore her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[URL=http://s688.photobucket.com/user/390stang/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151010_132357.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s688.photobucket.com/user/390stang/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151010_132348.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s688.photobucket.com/user/390stang/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151010_132117.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s688.photobucket.com/user/390stang/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151010_132048.jpg.html][/URL]

I am not much of an expert on anything, but that crest appears to be Spanish to me, not that that helps you much. Good luck with your search mate, if you do get it restored, be sure and post more pics! :onya

It could be the coat of arms for Charles v of Spain, who was a Roman emperor ( I ques this is what his called?)

I am surprised and a little bummed that no one here has been able to help me identify this ship.
Does anyone have any ideas or resources on how I can find out more about her?

The symbol itself doesn't show any correlation to anything that I could find. I spent a couple of hours reading through multiple sources and the closest I could find were some Germanic Family crests from 12-13th century if I remember correctly. The problem is the double headed eagle was used from the time of the Byzantine empire and across multiple continents for multiple nations and by nearly every Holy Roman emperor in conjunction with their family crest (the shield in the center). My best guess is that it is a familial crest and that the ship itself is fictitious. The single crown was used across most of northern europe for a long time until it was eventually either split into two crowns or 3 based on which empire made the change. It may help to look up the crest in the center and not worry about the eagle itself since it could just be decorative.

The closest model I was able to find to the one pictured was for sale on a site called http://www.houzz.com/, they had it listed as a Spanish ship. Though as others have mentioned above, the crest could be from many different nationality's. Captain Murphy is probably pretty accurate with his guess that that is a family crest.

It's tough to tell just how accurate that model is, I have seen several of those old models that don't even come close to the ships they are attempting to represent, and often they have quite a bit of artist interpretation added. The deck houses however may be a clue, they are not very prominent on vessels built before the 19'th century. :shrug

The closest model I was able to find to the one pictured was for sale on a site called http://www.houzz.com/, they had it listed as a Spanish ship. Though as others have mentioned above, the crest could be from many different nationality's. Captain Murphy is probably pretty accurate with his guess that that is a family crest.

It's tough to tell just how accurate that model is, I have seen several of those old models that don't even come close to the ships they are attempting to represent, and often they have quite a bit of artist interpretation added. The deck houses however may be a clue, they are not very prominent on vessels built before the 19'th century. :shrug
Nice find! Now, do they mean it is a Spanish ship or that it was made in Spain? Well, it did get me moving down the right path though:
Vintage Ship Model Fragata Espanola Ano (Year) 1780 Wooden Sailing Frigate
Large Antique Wooden Handcrafted Fragata Espanola 1780 Replica Model Boat Ship
Fragata espanola 1780

YAY! Looks like it is that Fragata Espanola 1780. Looks like there should be enough examples on ebay to help with the restoration.

Eagle looks Roman, as Russian one always had St. George slaying dragon at the center in every istance I've seen it, but coat of arms doesn't look like any of emperors. Looking at the peculiar form of crown, it might be a emperor's son/daugter's, further inline for inheritance: Infante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The greater shield has Kingdoms of Castille, Aragon and Leon at least, so it's Spanish ship, but by the assumed timeframe for the ship, imperial arms were more complicated...so it gets complicated. Cross center bottom must be a personal arms of the ruler, so Genoa? This is very fun, but I give up at this point :)

Eagle looks Roman, as Russian one always had St. George slaying dragon at the center in every istance I've seen it, but coat of arms doesn't look like any of emperors. Looking at the peculiar form of crown, it might be a emperor's son/daugter's, further inline for inheritance: Infante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The greater shield has Kingdoms of Castille, Aragon and Leon at least, so it's Spanish ship, but by the assumed timeframe for the ship, imperial arms were more complicated...so it gets complicated. Cross center bottom must be a personal arms of the ruler, so Genoa? This is very fun, but I give up at this point :)
Yeah, with as many different pieces are in that herald, I can only assume it is an artistic interpretation of a real crest. I found so many conflicting parts to it that I was baffled after about an hour of research. After reading about the Fragata Espanola, it appears to just be a model that is made for decorative purposes. I have found multiple examples with completely different crests, and a few with similar, but not exact ones as well. Best guess is it is a simple decorator piece that was popular at one time so there were a lot of makers and different styles.

Even if that is the case, which seems quite probable, it would be awesome to see her restored though. Nothing makes a ship look better than proper rigging!

Wow! Thanks guys. Those links are going to help me a lot. I had forgotten about the netting at the bow. I have pieces of the railings, the lifeboats are long gone though. I think i have the anchors and chains in a box somewhere.

Going to be a real challenge re-rigging her though. Oy...

Back