• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can the damage increase while aiming the stern?

DF5

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Can this game realize this function? While fire for the stern of enemy's ship, the damage will increase. or the probability of "Critical hit" will increase?

Pretty sure it already does that. The Ship_ApplyHullHitpoints function in AIShip.c has mention of raking. :yes

Of course aiming your guns at your enemy will definitely increase the chance of CRITICAL HIT and DAMAGE. Well, logically speaking..right? o_O

We're talking about additional damage when hitting the stern from behind.
This is a tactic known as "raking".

Yup. I saw reference to both the bow and the stern in the code. :yes

cool, i didn't know that raking applies to this game. nice to know that i have to work on my maneuvers to maximize the damage :)

Wouldn't be very good sea battles if real life tactics would be completely useless, eh? ;)

You can find the code in AIShip.c round row 2548

Code:
if(CheckAttribute(AIBalls,"Dir")) fBallAngle = clampangle(stf(AIBalls.Dir)+PI); // inverse of ball angle because ball is incoming
        else fBallAngle = clampangle(fOurAngle+(1.0-rand(1)*2.0) * PId2); // default to broadside on
        int quad = quadrantG(fOurAngle, fBallAngle);
        bool israke = quad == 0 || quad == 2;
        chance *= 1.0 + makefloat(israke) * 0.25; // extra 25% chance if raking

Look it up on the Internet for more details. As I understand it, it is quite a crucial part of many sea battle tactics.

Back