• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannon suggestion for combined mod?

whispa

Landlubber
Hey there. I was going to suggest a little something that I think might help with immersion, but I might be wrong. It just seems there are way too many cannon types. I know that standardization proceeded unevenly, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to limit things to the commonly used calibers? Also, by this time (the late 17th century) are there really such differences between cannons and culverins a la the Spanish Armada?

Suggestions for all we need:

4 pounder
6 pounder
8 pounder
12 pounder
18 pounder
24 pounder
32 pounder.

This seems to cover the range of all the different types that seemed commonly used. It would also help to better differentiate smaller ship classes, I wager, especially if the damage went up more steeply (according to kinetic energy) rather than this sort of 'flatter' damage curve. I've had a look through the files, and I can't figure out how to take some of the cannon options out, unfortunately, though my modding ability does not really go beyond swapping around and playing with textures so far.

Cheers!

There were three major cannon types, some of which did not come into regular use until fairly late in the age of sail.

Culverine, which were generally longer, smaller caliber with much better range.

Cannon which were generally what most folks think of for sailing ship armament. Mid length, heavier calibers and shorter ranges.

Carronade, very short length, extremely heavy caliber and VERY short range. These are what constitution used to decimate most of her foes during the periods in which she served the United States.

So there is a reason for having the various types. Perhaps differentiating and separating the calibers a bit would help, but I don't think we should just switch to a single general 'cannon' that is the same in every instance.

Just my opinion.

Cap'n Drow

[quote name='Cap'n_Drow' date='16 July 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1279304762' post='373424']
There were three major cannon types, some of which did not come into regular used until fairly late in the age of sail.

Cannon which were generally what most folks think of for sailing ship armament. Mid length, heavier calibers and shorter ranges.

Carronade, very short length, extremely heavy caliber and VERY short range. These are what constitution used to decimate most of her foes during the periods in which she served the united states.

So there is a reason for having the various types. Perhaps differentiating and separating the calibers a bit would help, but I don't think we should just switch to a single general 'cannon' that is the same in every instance.

Just my opinion.

Cap'n Drow
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, the culverin/cannon distinction had fallen out of use by this time (late 17th century) and the carronade would not be invented for another hundred years or so. But then again, we are sort of dumping two hundred years (about 1600-1800) into one setting anyway. But still, if we were to keep the types, why not fewer calibers with more differentiation between them?

Thats exactly what I was suggesting, Use either just cannon and culverine like it is now or even include carronades in the mix(you are correct in the rough timing of when they were invented) and just decrease the over laps some.

I'd say give the guns 2 to 4 guns of overlap so you can choose a gun type to fit your fighting style, and still give a good range of caliber choices for each gun.

Just as a suggested starting point.

Cap'n Drow

Well 34, 36 and 42Ibs culverines have been removed. 48Ibs cannons have been made so you can't upgrade to them and 42Ibs cannons have been made for the larger ships only. 68Ibs cannons have been removed and 92Ibs cannons are for forts only. In the stock game you only had 12, 16, 24,32 and 42Ibs cannons and 12, 16, 24, 32Ibs culverines. It could be made to be like this.

4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32 and 48Ibs cannons with culverines having the same calibures apart from 42Ibs of coures but i personally like the mix of calibures, it adds more depth into the game.

[quote name='Cap'n_Drow' timestamp='1279304762' post='373424']
There were three major cannon types, some of which did not come into regular use until fairly late in the age of sail.

Carronade, very short length, extremely heavy caliber and VERY short range. These are what constitution used to decimate most of her foes during the periods in which she served the United States.

Just my opinion.

Cap'n Drow
[/quote]

I'd love to see carronades in the game, and I definitely agree. They would add an extra tactical element to the game, with your maneuvering to get in close enough to use them before you're torn to shreds, and vice-verse. Since the types of guns have been reduced, would it now be more practical to do this?

Edit: I don't think the time frame should worry us too much, with a few hundred years of ships implemented, and books named "Your Balls Are Important," or "Boarding Bring List".

I may be a historical mavin, but a little humor never hurt anyone. I like the manual names. And it is very true indeed that your balls ARE important. At least I like to think so. :woot

Do you like fish sticks? :mi :rofl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhtntUsf1jE&feature=related

Quote from Luke159: "4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32 and 48Ibs cannons with culverines having the same calibures apart from 42Ibs of coures but i personally like the mix of calibures, it adds more depth into the game."

I know I've beat this horse to death in the past, but as much as I enjoy 32 lbs culverines in the game, I can't find any historical evidence of culverines larger than 28 lbs in any of my sources/research.

We've talked about carronades in the past, but I still see no practicality in the game unless you wanted to go pure carronades on a late 18th cent ship. We just can't figure out how to implement different kinds of guns on multiple decks. If we could, carronades would be COOL. :onya

MK

The reason 32Ibs culverines was left in was because they was in vanilla, so i left them in.

We've talked about carronades in the past, but I still see no practicality in the game unless you wanted to go pure carronades on a late 18th cent ship. We just can't figure out how to implement different kinds of guns on multiple decks. If we could, carronades would be COOL. :onya

MK

Well, I think that at this point we do have enough late 18th c ships that can be used for the purpose of carronade armaments. I would place different kinds of guns on multiple decks in the "Holy Grail" category, along with Jury rigging and configuring your own sail arrangements to get the most speed out of your ship. And a CoAS aircraft carrier.
Overall, I think they're still practical for those of us who like the Napoleonic era.

Back