• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot hit fort cannon (B14 Beta1)

vaustein

Powder Monkey
Playing the "New Horizons" campaign, all fort cannon must be destroyed before the option to land and take the colony appears in the Quick menu. However, some forts seem to have unreachable cannon. For example, my 3rd Class Man-o-War with the default 32-pound cannon was able to destroy every cannon at the Santiago fort on Cuba except for one. The last remaining cannon could not be reached at any distance with either balls or bombs, whether auto-fire or aimed fire. Same issue occurred with the Havana fort on Cuba. Suggest either tweaking the forts to move cannon positions, or (better still) tweaking the boarding / colony attack rules such that only 90% of the fort cannon must be destroyed before the option to land appears.

EDIT: Looking at the code, I found references to BattleInterface.Commands.LandFort but have yet to discover the conditions which enable this command.

Surely you dont have to destroy every cannon on the fort, I thought it was just over 50% of them :wacko:

Pirate_KK increased the value to make forts harder to attack.
Still, if this happens, then we need to decrease a bit.
Looking at the code, it seems as if you need to destroy only 90% of the cannons though and not 100%.
In PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIFort.c:
Code:
if (iNumDamagedCannons > 0.9 * iNumAllCannons) // KK
Decrease the value of 0.9 further to, say, 0.8 and then try again.
I do like having the value as high as possible, but only up to the point where you can still take all forts.
Do you reckon you could do some playing around with this to get an optimum value?

Looking at the code, it seems as if you need to destroy only 90% of the cannons though and not 100%.
Code:
I do like having the value as high as possible, but only up to the point where you can still take all forts.
Do you reckon you could do some playing around with this to get an optimum value?

Do I *reckon*? Has 19th century American slang just now arrived in Holland? :wp

Sure, I'll experiment with 50% and work my way up, assuming that I don't have to start a new game when I change this line of code.

Code:

Do I *reckon*? Has 19th century American slang just now arrived in Holland? :wp

Sure, I'll experiment with 50% and work my way up, assuming that I don't have to start a new game when I change this line of code.

UPDATE. I changed the condition above to 0.5 and attacked the Santiago fort. I destroyed every cannon I could reach and the fort surrendered. Why did I have to destroy every cannon I could reach instead of half of them? Probably because Santiago is guarded by two forts.

However, further testing was killed by a bug in the Santiago land battle. Upon clearing the three "fort" levels and starting the first "port" map, I encountered a game-breaking bug. The player spawns at a point outside the clipping region. "Strafing" to a legitimate area did not fix the problem as there were no enemy troops to fight and no way to move to the next map. Please see attached. Perhaps KK was a little KKareless in defining the spawn points?

Attachments

• SantaigoPortLandBattle.jpg
    SantaigoPortLandBattle.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 69
Towns without governers have this problem in them.

I think you would need to start a new game for it to happen but you can cheat to give you a big ship/be immortal as well as changing your starting area

Towns without governors? I think it's more of a missing-locator thing.
We've had locator files made in the past, but I think some are either missing or bugged.

Is "Do you reckon" an American wording? I wouldn't really know stuff like that.
I do try to write in British spelling though. Colour and harbour and such. :cheeky

Towns without governors? I think it's more of a missing-locator thing.
We've had locator files made in the past, but I think some are either missing or bugged.

Is "Do you reckon" an American wording? I wouldn't really know stuff like that.
I do try to write in British spelling though. Colour and harbour and such. :cheeky

"Do you reckon" is something we Americans expect to hear in an Old West flick at high noon. "You gonna draw that pistol, pilgrim? I reckon." :ixi

Anyway, I'm glad "missing locators" is on the list of bugs to fix. I'm getting tired of raiding Martinique over and over again.

When I get a number of updates so not a while, I havnt done anything to do with locators though :shock

Is it possible for me to rename the thread? It should now be "Cannot capture some colonies due to missing or misplaced locators". Also, who "owns" the locators?

Back