• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Cant assign already contributed perks

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Easily half of the perks can not be used, but I guess that is the way you want it. I have not come close to figuring out the perk system.

Easily half of the perks can not be used, but I guess that is the way you want it. I have not come close to figuring out the perk system.
Only if they are locked you shouldn't be able to use them untill you unlocked them. Else you should be able to use them (if you have the required rank if its set and the required other perks).

Let's make one thing clear here: That is decidedly NOT how we want it.
Though there are admittedly a lot of valid reasons you may not be able to get a perk:
- It is locked (marked with different icon)
- You don't have the prerequisite ones
- You don't have the needed character level
- You don't have enough free points

But if those conditions don't apply, you should be able to get them just fine.
If you can not, that's a definite bug.

I just tried and in a new savegame I was able to seelect all the perks for the main character which I should be able to pick.
So please provide me with a savegame and tell me which perks you think are bugged

You didn't have any officers did you? When you have officers most of the perks are locked and can not be used.

I already gave up on that game and started another.

So having any officer prevents the player from getting all abilities?
That sounds very wrong indeed.

Locked, unlocked, it doesn't matter. Most of the perks do not get used.

@Hylie Pistof - if you want to know what is required to make a perk ( ability ) available. Check this page on the Wiki :-

New Horizons Abilities | PiratesAhoy!

This information is only available in-game if you play "arcade mode" - if you play on the other modes ( Realistic or Iron Man ) the Abilities ( Perks) screen does not give you as much detail. :yes

@Levis - one thing that confuses me is with locked perks for officers, where to unlock the perk you need to talk to someone ( Governor , sea captain etc ) e.g. Pre-Reloading, Long Range Boarding . Suppose the player has the perk but wants an officer to have it as well - if the perk is locked on the officer, does the player have to go and talk to another Sea Captain to unlock the Perk for the officer. Does the game then unlock the perk for the officer - or does the game see that the player already has the perk and so does nothing.

I assume that the game is not expecting the officer to talk to the person to unlock the perk. :no :rofl.

:read

@Levis - one thing that confuses me is with locked perks for officers, where to unlock the perk you need to talk to someone ( Governor , sea captain etc ) e.g. Pre-Reloading, Long Range Boarding . Suppose the player has the perk but wants an officer to have it as well - if the perk is locked on the officer, does the player have to go and talk to another Sea Captain to unlock the Perk for the officer. Does the game then unlock the perk for the officer - or does the game see that the player already has the perk and so does nothing.
As far as I always understood it, unlocking is general. So if the player unlocks the perk, then it is unlocked for all officers too.
There was even something in place so that if an officer has a perk that is locked for the player, it MAY unlock for the player as well.
Thoguh @Levis would be the one who knows best.

If the player has a perk unlocked the officer will too. It is possible a officer you hire has a perk unlocked already which you havent unlocked yet. He can contribute that one even while you haven't unlocked it.

So having any officer prevents the player from getting all abilities?
That sounds very wrong indeed.

I don't know. There are some perks that are not locked that I can't get anyway.

Some perks are open to use, some are locked until unlocked, some are blocked until a certain level is reached, and some just can not be used at all.

The whole system is confusing and frustrating as I can not give meself the perks I want and I can not give my officers the perks I want them to have.

There was a problem indeed when someone had the perk already you couldn't assign it anymore.
This should fix it.
Put it in:
..\PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Perks

@Hylie Pistof please let me know if this fixes your problem

Attachments

• perks.c
    21.8 KB · Views: 102
I just tried and in a new savegame I was able to seelect all the perks for the main character which I should be able to pick.
So please provide me with a savegame and tell me which perks you think are bugged

Here is the save if you look on the character screen at the perks every thing not allocated is bugged starting with Maneuverability.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Hispaniola.rar
    607.4 KB · Views: 53
Here is the save if you look on the character screen at the perks every thing not allocated is bugged starting with Maneuverability.
@Jason please try the file posted above. Is it still bugged with that?

Be sure to try the fix posted above. Extract to program\interface\perks .

Back