• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Can't go sail

Lrv

Sailor Apprentice
Hey!

I'm playing this mod for PoC for the first time, (and i must say i havent played PoC in 14 years or so, so i dont remember almost anything, i've played AoP coas 2 a shit ton tho, and sea dogs to each his own)

Well i've installed the last one 14 "something" yesterday, and i started a new game with Jack Aubrey "master and commander" the thing is that once i'm on the ship (not the sailing camera, the "on deck camera" the option to go sailing at Sea is locked. The ship is full HP, nothing to repair, has full sailors, food, rum, cannonballs, gunpowder etc, there are only two quests, one for reading a book, wich i did and says completed (green V) and the other about Jack itself being on command of his ship.

So, i don't have any mission to "complete" before heading at sea, i've talked to everyone, inside every building in town, restarted the game, started new games and its always locked so i can get to sail the ship

To notice, the ship model when your walking in it its broken, like the one you get when you start a game when you have been on a storm and need repairs (as an introduction) get crew, sell some stuff, and then you can sail.

Is this mode/character/storyline or whatever, bugged? or am I missing something?

Which modpack version are you playing?
"Master and Commander" is part of Free Play and doesn't actually have any story other than the regular stuff that's available to all characters.
When you get promoted, you do get his correct ships though.

Are you talking about the damage on the deck when you walk around in 3rd person mode?
That's just because that model was originally made for boardings.
The visible damage doesn't actually mean anything.

Hey!

I'm playing the "build 14"

Yes i'm talking about the damage on the deck when you walk in 3rd person mode, It's not a problem i was just giving all the info i could so its easier to help

Basically I'm stuck there, not being able to sail anywere, or do anything, since i can't get to sea I can travel to the city, inside ship (cannon room, crew rooms, cargo room etc) but when i walk to the helm to use "space" and sail its Locked, (i dont have the option of open sea when using "enter" either)

Edit: To give more info, when installing the Mod, when given option of things you want to install or not, I didn't install the "unfinished quests" in case that has anything to do with the starting of "free play" of this character, (maybe missing one dialog or something no idea, just giving ideas)

Is there no "go to sea" option when you press [Enter] while on your ship's deck?
Or when you're standing on the pier, facing your ship?

Edit: To give more info, when installing the Mod, when given option of things you want to install or not, I didn't install the "unfinished quests" in case that has anything to do with the starting of "free play" of this character, (maybe missing one dialog or something no idea, just giving ideas)
That won't have an effect. If you do install unfinished storylines, the "Devlin Opera" storyline is available. This is based on AoP:CT's storyline and has, as you'd guess, not been finished. It has no effect on any other storyline, including "FreePlay".

Can you try starting the game again? Then, when you get stuck, quit the game and upload the file "compile.log", which you'll find in the top level of the game installation folder. If there's a file "error.log", please upload that as well.

If you want a proper storyline with a naval theme, you could always try "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower". This isn't a FreePlay, it's a full storyline. (Though Hornblower is also available as a FreePlay character - more than one of them, in fact, as you can choose him at different starting ranks.)

Is there no "go to sea" option when you press [Enter] while on your ship's deck?
Or when you're standing on the pier, facing your ship?

When on my ship deck there is no option to go in to open sea by "enter" menu, there is the "locked" icon on top right of my screen if i walk around the helm/rudder zone in the upper deck

When on the pier, I do see a boat and i can enter on the ship by presing space (or intro anywhere on the town, and teleport in to the ship deck)

Okey so, I have started a new game and then when in the pier i go straigh to the ship, then everything is working properly, there is the open sea on the intro menu, and i can do it by walking to the helm to, i don't really know how did it fixed hitself, yesterday I went to sleep at 3:00 am, because i was trying everything on town to be able to sail, i did even start new games and all of them where the same, i have no idea how its working now (aparently by not going to town, just straight back to the ship after the cutscene is what fixed it, it's the only thing i never did)

I have been trying to replicate the Error of not being hable to go open sea, to give you guys those files but aparently now it works well all the time already started 5 new games, walked around the town, went to the ship, working well, feels bad to waste your time.

Grey Roger, i did try the chronicles of horatio for a bit, but i'm really green in this game yet (i want to free roam a bit, geting used to everything first), and i would like to play the realist option, and its kinda hard since i dont remember how anything works (have been playing gof eras mod latelly, but 14 years since the last time I played PoC) it got me by surprise the more realist saling (i didnt remember being that way, and i never played with mods), with the ship moving etc, i was kinda bored playing gof_eras for the lack of "realistic gameplay"(nothing to do with the mod, just the basegame) it was mostly watching my ship and dreaming awake of how it should behave xd

Another point just to give feedback:

The ship "Heavy sloop of war" (group volage, tier 5) seems to have a little bit to high waterline maybe? looks like its sinking (maybe not if sea is still, but with some waves...)
it may be the correct one but hard to fix if it has more to do on how the ship reacts to the waves, just thought on sharing that just in case.

Grey Roger, i did try the chronicles of horatio for a bit, but i'm really green in this game yet (i want to free roam a bit, geting used to everything first), and i would like to play the realist option, and its kinda hard since i dont remember how anything works (have been playing gof eras mod latelly, but 14 years since the last time I played PoC) it got me by surprise the more realist saling (i didnt remember being that way, and i never played with mods), with the ship moving etc, i was kinda bored playing gof_eras for the lack of "realistic gameplay"(nothing to do with the mod, just the basegame) it was mostly watching my ship and dreaming awake of how it should behave xd
Realism is independent of storyline. Depending on how you've set the various realism options, they'll have exactly the same effect on a storyline as on FreePlay. The sailing system, in particular, applies equally to all storylines.

If you want to compare the game now to how it was 14 years ago, try "Tales of a Sea Hawk". This is basically the same story that has been the core of PoTC since it was first released. It's been tweaked a bit to make it fit in with the new system, but the story plot is exactly the same. When I first downloaded Build 14, the first story I played was "Tales of a Sea Hawk", for exactly that reason. Mind you, at that time there was no such thing as FreePlay.

FreePlay was introduced later. It is literally "Tales of a Sea Hawk" with the back story removed. That's why you had no questbook entries apart from the book.

Another point just to give feedback:

The ship "Heavy sloop of war" (group volage, tier 5) seems to have a little bit to high waterline maybe? looks like its sinking (maybe not if sea is still, but with some waves...)
it may be the correct one but hard to fix if it has more to do on how the ship reacts to the waves, just thought on sharing that just in case.
I'll take a look at that. If the waterline really is permanently below the water, it should be easy enough to correct.

its kinda hard since i dont remember how anything works
You might want to consider starting with "Tales of a Sea Hawk" then; that has has a tutorial at the beginning to get you up to speed on some stuff.
Once you've figured out the basics, of course you can move on to whatever you prefer. :doff

it got me by surprise the more realist saling (i didnt remember being that way, and i never played with mods)
That was indeed a new feature in the mod. The original game did have a "fast" (Arcade) and "slow" (Realistic) mode, but that was greatly expanded on.
If you're interested, there are some fun details on that in the "Documentation" subfolder in the mod; see "New Horizons Ship Recognition Guide.pdf".

That's tricky to get right; there is a "waterline" value, but also an "immersion per unit of weight" value.
Ideally the "light ship" (without any cargo) should be set first and then that immersion number should be tweaked with a fully loaded ship.
But I don't think that has really been done that way with all ships, so it could very well seem wrong here and there.

Realism is independent of storyline. Depending on how you've set the various realism options, they'll have exactly the same effect on a storyline as on FreePlay. The sailing system, in particular, applies equally to all storylines.

Yeah sorry my bad, i'm not english native and i don't express myself as i would like, what i mean is that in free play i don't have to be thinking on quests or "you should get to X island , and you have X time to get there" from a quest of a storyline (i don't know if they are like that but i remember a lot of headaches playing "sea dogs to each his own" from failing misions due to limited time.

I just wanted to freeplay a bit on a beautiful ship, so i wanted to check out the Surprise and geting used to the basic stuf, but now that you say I think i will do the Tales of Sea hawk first, my goal is to freeplay with Iron man mode. (later on, in a diferent gameplay)

If you want to compare the game now to how it was 14 years ago, try "Tales of a Sea Hawk". This is basically the same story that has been the core of PoTC since it was first released.

Oh i couldn't compare, it was so long ago i almost don't remember anything, maybe i will remember something when playing but to be honest what interest me the most of this (let me say, beautiful mod, what a work you have done guys, its awesome!) is the naval combat, so i'm usually avoiding to play as much as i can with the actual character (sword fighting etc) i hate this game when they kill you on one sword hit xd

I'll take a look at that. If the waterline really is permanently below the water, it should be easy enough to correct.

That's great! ist a hell of a beautiful ship (and one of the best that you can get for freeplay from the start if im not mistaken)

Well after one (yes just one) naval battle i'm super happy with the gameplay. Its really annyoing in Gof_eras (or AoP in general) how the ships turn, it kills all the inmersion, but mostly when you dismast a ship and starts turning like a car drifting in a fast and furious movie, while sothing cannons from all sides, and sailing upwind without getting "stuck or stoped or however its called" i love how it feels now, I actually had a hard time geting close to a ship for boarding in this first naval battle, it feelt great.

Yeah sorry my bad, i'm not english native and i don't express myself as i would like, what i mean is that in free play i don't have to be thinking on quests or "you should get to X island , and you have X time to get there" from a quest of a storyline (i don't know if they are like that but i remember a lot of headaches playing "sea dogs to each his own" from failing misions due to limited time.
Most PotC storylines don't have time limits.
You can easily do part of a story, then do some stuff of your own and then return to the story when you feel like it.
I've heard TEHO is very hardcore, but PotC is mostly quite forgiving.

I just wanted to freeplay a bit on a beautiful ship, so i wanted to check out the Surprise and geting used to the basic stuf, but now that you say I think i will do the Tales of Sea hawk first, my goal is to freeplay with Iron man mode. (later on, in a diferent gameplay)
Iron Man, eh? I hope you've got plenty of time to spare then!
That's quite a challenge, but a worthwhile one, I think.
With almost all unrealistic stuff disabled, you really get to experience what it must have been like to be an actual captain in those days.

Oh i couldn't compare, it was so long ago i almost don't remember anything, maybe i will remember something when playing but to be honest what interest me the most of this (let me say, beautiful mod, what a work you have done guys, its awesome!) is the naval combat, so i'm usually avoiding to play as much as i can with the actual character (sword fighting etc) i hate this game when they kill you on one sword hit xd
You're in good company then!
I know quite a lot of other people who also play mainly for the sea battles.
@Hylie Pistof for example, if I recall.

Well after one (yes just one) naval battle i'm super happy with the gameplay. Its really annyoing in Gof_eras (or AoP in general) how the ships turn, it kills all the inmersion, but mostly when you dismast a ship and starts turning like a car drifting in a fast and furious movie, while sothing cannons from all sides, and sailing upwind without getting "stuck or stoped or however its called" i love how it feels now, I actually had a hard time geting close to a ship for boarding in this first naval battle, it feelt great.
@Snow White Sorrow did a great job at tweaking all ship behaviour in the mod.
Nobody even believed this game could behave so realistically, but she proved all the naysayers wrong!

You might want to consider starting with "Tales of a Sea Hawk" then; that has has a tutorial at the beginning to get you up to speed on some stuff.
Once you've figured out the basics, of course you can move on to whatever you prefer. :doff

Thats what i'm going to do, thank you very much!

That was indeed a new feature in the mod. The original game did have a "fast" (Arcade) and "slow" (Realistic) mode, but that was greatly expanded on.
If you're interested, there are some fun details on that in the "Documentation" subfolder in the mod; see "New Horizons Ship Recognition Guide.pdf".

I don't remember well the original game, but i'm sure it was worst lol, i didn't even know the existence of this mod being at this level (i actually tried to register to this forum like 10 years ago for a week(trying) but i coudlnt get any confirmation email so here I am 8 years later with a full beard lol)

I'm reading everything yeah, thats interesting i will go deeper when i have time.

That's tricky to get right; there is a "waterline" value, but also an "immersion per unit of weight" value.
Ideally the "light ship" (without any cargo) should be set first and then that immersion number should be tweaked with a fully loaded ship.
But I don't think that has really been done that way with all ships, so it could very well seem wrong here and there.

Oh so its the same thing as AoP and such? i have been editing those games (note++) for a while i just didn't check this one folders yet (installed it yesterday) good to know

To be honest i ended here because i was trying to find free software to model ships on Gof_eras i have been editing with note++ but its not enough and there are a few ships that are really close to look really good but have some minors details that really kills the inmersion for me, but then i saw this mod and i was astonished how well the ships look, i tought they would look worse than newer games "aop2, sea dogs TEHO" etc

And then well, the gameplay mechanics wich i didnt remember/know about were the final kick to other mods, actual realistic enjoiable naval gameplay! lol

Amazing job guys, i'm daydreaming everyday since i was a kid, "creating" a game on my mind, wich i never got to play, it was seeing all the info of Red read redemption 2 and the awesome new mechanics that they are bringing to the table, that maked me think "what if" someone did an Age of sail game with that care, resources... etc... were not there yet (at the level of RDR2 i mean) but well this mod of yours looks like as close as we can get for now (as cool as the water look on sea of thieves, or other things on AC Black flag theyre just arcade games with nice graphics)

Thanks you guys!

I don't remember well the original game, but i'm sure it was worst lol, i didn't even know the existence of this mod being at this level (i actually tried to register to this forum like 10 years ago for a week(trying) but i coudlnt get any confirmation email so here I am 8 years later with a full beard lol)
I'm glad then that you didn't give up and finally succeeded! :cheers

Oh so its the same thing as AoP and such? i have been editing those games (note++) for a while i just didn't check this one folders yet (installed it yesterday) good to know
It is indeed virtually the same game engine, so if you're familiar with modding any of the newer games, PotC won't be very different.

To be honest i ended here because i was trying to find free software to model ships on Gof_eras i have been editing with note++ but its not enough and there are a few ships that are really close to look really good but have some minors details that really kills the inmersion for me
There are plenty of options to tweak the models.
@Jack Rackham and @Grey Roger have become quite good at it!

then i saw this mod and i was astonished how well the ships look, i tought they would look worse than newer games "aop2, sea dogs TEHO" etc
The unmodified models from the original game weren't very good.
But we had a lot of people come here and improve them and make better ones.
Now PotC contains probably they biggest collection of high-detail ship models that I know. :shock

Amazing job guys, i'm daydreaming everyday since i was a kid, "creating" a game on my mind, wich i never got to play, it was seeing all the info of Red read redemption 2 and the awesome new mechanics that they are bringing to the table, that maked me think "what if" someone did an Age of sail game with that care, resources... etc... were not there yet
We sure gave it our best shot! :rofl

But I have to admit I'm not familiar with Red Dead Redemption...

About the heavy sloop of war, alias "Volage", specifically "RN_Volage" because that's the one I used for testing. Starting with a Napoleonic period British corsair with a "RN_Volage", first I went to the store and sold all cargo except a small amount of food and rum. Then I went to sea to get a screenshot of the ship with minimal cargo. Back at the store, I loaded the ship up to maximum, then went to sea again for another screenshot.

Light load, full load:
rn_volage_light_load.jpg rn_volage_full_load.jpg

It does indeed look rather low in the water. The ship's "refShip.WaterLine" is set to 0.2. Change it to -0.2 and repeat. Again, light load, full load:
rn_volage_light_load2.jpg rn_volage_full_load2.jpg

And again, now with "refShip.WaterLine" set to 0.0:
rn_volage_light_load3.jpg rn_volage_full_load3.jpg

0.0 is probably correct because if you look at the ship in GM Viewer, its waterline is right on the y=0 plane:
RN_Volage_waterline.jpg

Has anyone any preference for which of the three looks most realistic? All that needs to be done is to change "refShip.WaterLine" to the relevant value, for all variants of "Volage". (There's also "refShip.SubSeaDependWeight", which presumably is what controls "immersion per unit of weight". I've no idea how far this ship, or for that matter any ship, should rise or sink depending on cargo, so I left it alone.)

To be honest i ended here because i was trying to find free software to model ships on Gof_eras i have been editing with note++ but its not enough and there are a few ships that are really close to look really good but have some minors details that really kills the inmersion for me, but then i saw this mod and i was astonished how well the ships look, i tought they would look worse than newer games "aop2, sea dogs TEHO" etc
Have a look here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/?cd=Tools/Modeling+Texturing

Use TX Converter to convert the game's ".tga.tx" texture files to standard ".tga" format. Take note of the texture format (e.g. "R5G5B5", "DXT1 - 4 x compressed", etc.). Use your choice of picture editing software (Photoshop, Corel Draw, GIMP, or anything else which can read ".tga" files) to change the texture file. Then use TX Converter to convert it back to ".tga.tx" - use the same format as the original. For preference, save the new file with a different name, which must be exactly the same length as the original name - for example, "dcRN.tga.tx" becomes "dcFR.tga.tx", "RN_Hull_01.tga.tx" becomes "FR_Hull_01.tga.tx".

Then copy the ship model folder and rename it. Also rename all the files to match the folder name. Use HEX Editor to change the model files to use your new textures - certainly the base hull model, e.g. "RN_Volage.gm", and for some ships, some of the other component parts as well. Find the references to the texture files and change them to your new files - this is why the new texture file names must be the same length as the originals, so that you can replace the name character by character.

And that's how the French, Spanish, Portuguese and US versions of the heavy sloop of war were made.

You can use GM Viewer to see how the ship, or at least parts of it, look before trying it in the game. And TOOL, or Ines Dias TOOL to give it its full name, is useful for doing things to all sorts of game models.

Last edited:
0.0 is probably correct because if you look at the ship in GM Viewer, its waterline is right on the y=0 plane
Sounds right to me. :onya

There's also "refShip.SubSeaDependWeight", which presumably is what controls "immersion per unit of weight".
Yep, that's it.

I've no idea how far this ship, or for that matter any ship, should rise or sink depending on cargo, so I left it alone.
That's admittedly a complex science and depends on the shape of the hull.
Technically it even depends on the draught, but that is beyond the limitations of the game engine.
The way I figure it though: if it doesn't look obviously very wrong, then it's probably fine. ;)

Then, unless someone prefers one of the other settings (see the pictures in post #14), I'll change the waterline for all "Volage" models to 0.0.

@Lrv: it won't help if I upload my version of "Ships_init.c" because it contains references to a few new ship models, so the game would probably crash if you try to use it without those models being present. You can edit "Ships_init.c" yourself to change the settings for the "Volage" models - just look for "RN_Volage", scroll down to the 'refShip.WaterLine' line, change the value to 0.0. Then do the same for the rest of the "Volage" types - they're in sequence straight after "RN_Volage", so just scroll down to the 'refShip.WaterLine' line for each one in turn. And then start a new game, as that's needed for "Ships_init.c" to be re-read by the game.

And again, now with "refShip.WaterLine" set to 0.0:

0.0 is probably correct because if you look at the ship in GM Viewer, its waterline is right on the y=0 plane:

Has anyone any preference for which of the three looks most realistic?

Yeah 0.0 seems the best choice! Thanks for taking the time making that post, very apreciated.

Sorry tho! when I sudgested about the waterline I didn't know that PoC used the same engine as AoP COAS and it was as easy for editing i would have done it myself.

I just noticed this line on the volages:

refShip.SubSeaDependWeight = 1.0;

On aop/aop2/etc i noticed that the usual for most ships is 0.3, and in some cases 0.6 being the highest value(if i remember correctly) , i'm going to try using 0.0 waterline, and lowering 1.0 to 0.6 since in that photo of the full loaded volage it seems a little bit too low, i could be mistaken since a wave is hiting the hull so i'll just check it now and post a few photos (hopelly with calm sea lol) in a few minutes

Edit:I have been trying to make captures of the game wich is not working , its showing my desktop instead lol

So i don't have photos, but i did put 0.0 on all volages, but i still think that it looks way too low in water when fully loaded (it could be just because how the ship reacts to waves, instead of "surfing" but thats nothing that we can edit as far as i know, i mean i'm going super realistic x'D) so I just changed the subseadependweight from 1.0 to 0.6, and tested full loaded and i think it looks good enough (I may test later on other values 0,3/0,8 if I can see it better in a calm weather since i'm geting heavy weater in all tests so it's a little bit tricky)

Thanks to everyone! i'm gona play a bit since i haven't had the time yet and i can't wait to sail with all those awesome frigates (the ones that are attacking me while i'm trying to test all this x'D)

Last edited:
Hmm... looking at a couple of similar ships ("HMS_Greyhound", "RN_Postillionen"), they do indeed seem to have lower "SubSeaDependWeight" (0.55 and 0.6 respectively). I'll change my "Ships_init.c" so that all the "Volage" types have 0.6 as well.

And then start a new game, as that's needed for "Ships_init.c" to be re-read by the game.
Just F11 should do the trick.
It won't apply to any ships that were generated before, but you can use console GiveShip2Character to update that.

Sorry tho! when I sudgested about the waterline I didn't know that PoC used the same engine as AoP COAS and it was as easy for editing i would have done it myself.
No need to apologize. Nothing wrong with learning something new (or in this case, old). ;)

On aop/aop2/etc i noticed that the usual for most ships is 0.3, and in some cases 0.6 being the highest value(if i remember correctly)
Thanks for bringing in your AoP/AoP2 expertise!
Sounds like we've got something to learn from you too. :cheers

Back