• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can't play the game a second time without rebooting

McCoy

Landlubber
I don't know why this happends, but if I exit the game (it doesn't matter if I do it the "hard" way with alt+f4, or the normal way, going to the menu and clicking "quit"), and then try to play it again in the same session, I don't see any graphics! I don't see Disney's intro video, nor the main menu, nor the game... nothing. The game loads, as I can hear all the sounds, and everything works, I can move trough the main menu and even start a game, but... black screen all the time. I have to reboot the computer, and then it works ok again.

Anyone has the same problem as me, or knows why it happends and how to solve it? Because it's VERY annoying.

And another question... my game doesn't behave right with Alt+TAB, everytime I switch to another task, and try to switch back to PotC, I just get a black rectangle in the `top-left` corner of the screen, filling 3/4 of the screen or so. The sounds come back, but not the graphics, so I can't play. Is this normal, or I'm the only one experimenting this?

Thank you in advance mateys! :yes:

McCoy (I'm still trying to figure out the Scottish name and your location is Spain but you've got a Japanese flag, LOL!), I have had similar trouble with the black screen - I was testing my Fred Bob mod `re-written` to the new code - and thought I'd screwed something up - I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and then it seemed to work okay. ?

Maybe you have a corrupted file somewhere.

Had you been using the `ALT-Tab` switch successfully before? It's been my experience that you cannot "stop" the game like that because it will not come back...

OK ok... so, my nickname is McCoy because that's the second name of the main character of the graphic adventure game "Blade Runner", his complete name is "Ray McCoy", and when I first came into the internet, I just finished that game the same day, and I was still very excited and affected about it, so when I had to choose a nickname... yep, I couldn't help it :cheers: No other special meaning really.

I live in Madrid, but I have a japanese flag because I like very much japanese culture, someday I'll go to live in Japan and make my live as game programmer (yeah, keep dreaming, I know... hey but dreaming is free!), and right now I'm learning japanese, and... my girlfriend is japanese too, so that's the explanation about the flag :cheeky

Ok, now about the important matters... I really don't remember if I had that problem before installing Build 11, I'm not sure... But I think yes, I had it since first time, but I'll say it again, I'm not sure at all. But anyway, I don't know what's wrong because the game works, but only the first time, I have to reboot to play again if I quit! I don't think that was your problem, am I right? I think you got always black screen, even the first time... and that would be more normal, but I don't understand why it works the first time and no more for me!! :x So that's why I doubt I have any corrupted file, because the game works.

And about `alt-tab`, I'm completely sure about that: It has never worked right, always same result. And I ask to myself, why? It worked flawlessly with Sea Dogs!! But now that I know it's a common problem... I'm only worried about my first problem, wich really piss me off. :oops: :x

Anyway, thank you four dropping some lines :yes:

JSJ, you ought to know by now that the game manual is next to useless. :cheers

McCoy - not sure why you're having this problem but it sounds like the game doesn't like your "hard exit"...

I have yet to get back to the game today to test what I did last night and see if that fixed my problem... (long night, busy day)

Have you installed the Euro patch? (you probably have, I'm just checking)

Well, as I said, it doesn't matter if I exit the hard way, or normal way trough the menu, so I think the game doesn't like me to exit at all :cheers :p::

And yup, I installed de Euro patch, the build didn't work at all without it.

Still puzzled with the problem... but I have no time today to try to find what's going on and fix it, I have philosophy exam tomorrow... :p3 But it seems you're busy too. Take it easy mate and have some good grog! :cry

did you try to clean up ya harddrive (defrag too) before installing the game and build.......

Files in the game is known to get corrupted, and also if ya did NOT change anythings in the files.

had a similar error long time ago ...... (with no build installed)

as I understand, ya having a spanish lang. in the game......
but I do not know how, is it a spanish text in the dialog or what ?

and also What is your system conf. hardware and so ?

:cheers

Phew, I don't want to do a defrag with 75Gb of data in my PC it will take ages, and I'm sure there will be no result, because the game works indeed! It just doesn't work after you play it once if you don't reebot, so something must happend while playing or when you exit, that´s it.

And about the spanish version, yup, in the former PROGRAM (now PROGRAM.old :cry) there's, for example, a subdirectory called "spanish" inside the "DIALOGS" subdirectory, with ALL the dialogs translated to spanish. It containts axactly the same as the DIALOGS directory, you know, .c and .h files, but everything translated. The voices are in spanish too, and the videos, just everything. So, if I finally try to translate the Build, I'll only have to translate the new things the build adds or modify, because all the original game is already translated :cheers

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro with the latest Omega drivers, latest DirectX, 512mb of RAM, Sound Blaster Live! 1024 and a a bit overclocked AthlonXP 1800+

McCoy, I just checked out my game to see whether I'd fixed my problem and it was okay - perhaps you have a corrupted file somewhere. I uninstalled my game and reinstalled it - new fresh install, and the new build and new textures - and everything now works just fine.

This game is just built a little *sideways* - there are bugs that happen for the least little thing... I know it'll take a bit of time to do (have done it three times, just recently, LOL) but if you start from the beginning again, hopefully you should not have any troubles after that.

Ok, I have time today, so I'll reinstall... I don't mind doing it if it solves the problem, because it takes me more time to reboot a couple of times than installing the game again! :cheeky :x

But will I be able to play with my old savegames (saved with the build installed, not original game savegames of course)? I hope so... I'll check anyway, and post the results.

Wait, more wird things... but this time good :cheeky

The game works ALWAYS OK in windowed mode! I can play as many times as I want, I alwayts get graphics. So I think it's something related to some video drivers issue...

And BTW, Alt+TAB works better in windowed mode too, you can switch tasks and come back to the game without problems :).

And if your desktop is at the same resolution as the game, you can't see any difference with fullscreen! The game fits the screen exactly, it looks like you're playing fullscreen, there's no window borders or close buttons, the mouse cursor cand go out of the "window", and so on.. So I think I'm going to play in windowed mode from no on... better alt+tab support and I can exit and come back without rebooting! 8)

But I kinda feel windowed mode is a little bit slower than fullscreen mode... I said "feel" because I don't know the FPS, but I detect it works not as fluid as un fullscreen mode. But if it exists, it's not much difference, because I don't know if it's really working a little bit slower or it's just my imagination...

, but I think windowed more is a little bit slower than real fullscreen mode. :huh Just to make sure, how can I see the FPS? I think there's some debug mode, doesn't it?

Back