• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Can't Sail out of the Main Map's View of Island of Departure

Win7Nut

Landlubber
A Description of what I'm working with---

Win7 64bit with the latest Nvidia and Creative X-Fi Drivers with the Generic Mod Enabler and CoAS Combined Mod.....{hopefully patched correctly with the Mod Loader.......instead of pasting the new patch files over into there respective file tree folders?  In JSGME it shows 3 files unlike where a patch would actually patch the 1st file}  Actually, this problem existed on the stock install.  It is why I Did a fresh install and started the game all over after finding the Mods\This Forum.

Anyways,

First I got Stuck in Tortuga while attempting to Discover the surrounding Islands.  I would sail for days afraid to hit the quick command key for the Map......which would always show me stuck, in between islands, seemingly locked into an endless circumnavigation of Tortuga!  Much less the Caribbean, entire Globe!

After dreadfully tapping the Area Map Key; it shows that even after Sailing for Days, I'm Stuck where the Tip of the Island I'm Departing From (Tortuga) gets to the Outer Edge of the Map. 

I'm not sure how I eventually got to Hispaniola.......Yet soon enough, I realized I was stuck endlessly attempting to Sail away from Port Au Prince in all directions, when all of a sudden, on one effort, I made it to Cuba!!!  (after try many times, to no avail)

Ideas that might be the problem:    {Maybe I explored a bit too much on foot while building and learning Sword Fighting Skills (Broken Quests?), going back a bit and loading an uncorrupted save, not completing a quest that was required, or perhaps some sort of Tages Protection Glitch}

By the way, at some point I noticed Tages Incompatible with Windows 7 Messages upon Boot Up.  (I'm not sure when this started, although I didn't think it was until after installing the CoPCoAS Combined Mod.  Could the Tages System have corrupted the Game?   I've downloaded a newer 64 bit driver for Tages protection and am considering installing it as a possible solution.

NOW I'm stuck in only one half of the island of Cuba, after purchasing a Spanish Reconciliation, Trade License, and Patent.  I've run all around the island by foot and discovered every inch, Including Havana, which is apparently inaccessible by Sea........(No Mooring Option while in Harbor)

Stuck yet again, allowed to Sail as far as the Tip of Cuba is still on the Map......I can sail to the Port Au Prince Lighthouse even on the Map!  However, after returning to Sea View, I'm back with Santiago in my aft view.

(Could I have broken some quests by clearing out the dungeon that later comes up as the Hurricane Blade Quest after answering a Sailing Term Quiz for example) or (I've blown Junior Governor's, etc. Quests because I can't sail to where I need to attempt them) also the Gov. in Tortuga wanted me to go to Cartagena to sneak some docs.....the deadline has passed and it is still in my Quests To Do List.

Any ideas before I start trying to patch Security Drivers?  I'm not even sure if they will work because the game is 32 bit.

Let me get this straight are you using the world map?, cause CoAS doesnt have direct sail, you have to use the world map to sail from one island to another :yes

Let me get this straight are you using the world map?, cause CoAS doesnt have direct sail, you have to use the world map to sail from one island to another :yes

No, not Direct Sail.

I'm talking about finally giving up and turning on the World Map to confirm---I'm stuck trying to leave an Island.

It seems like I am sailing to a new island, but it won't let me go any farther than being able to just barely see the island I'm trying to leave behind.......As if I'm magnetically controlled by the island I'm attempting to leave, and not able to sail any more than 100 miles out.....or however far it is.....away.

Then after I go back out of the World Map View, I'll End Up....popped back, within clear view of Cuba.

direct sail means that you can sail from one island to another...as exemple: you leave the port of tortuga and you can sail to cuba without the use of the worldmap (the one where you see other ships and so on).

if you now try direct sailing you start at the port and it looks like you can reach cuba....but you won't find a port or a shore where you can land. COAS didn't have a direct sail feature...if you want to leave an island you have to go on worldmap and go clear enough to your target part of world and enter direct sail mode...now you have loaded the new island and you can go to each port or shore on it. cuba and hispaniola is slitted in to two parts...so if you want to go from havana to santiago you have to reload the island (go on worldmap). the mailland is slitted in some more parts I think 6 or 7...

Yes what you think CoAS has is direct-sail but it doesnt, you need to use the world map to sail from one island to another

Yes what you think CoAS has is direct-sail but it doesnt, you need to use the world map to sail from one island to another

OK Guys....I will try that strategy tomorrow morning? uh....later on today! arrrrgh-matey-lol!  Maybe I'm trying to milk the time too much!  By avoiding the inevitable Time Warp after every World Map Peek.

Hope that is it!  I am so hooked on this game....Yet I can't move along!

I re-started from Way Back.....scored some really cool ships, and now I'm stuck Blundering Around with no place to repair them.  i thought all was fine.  made it to La Veta after a Freakin Snarly Sea Fight......No Ship Repair There!

I can't go to Port Au Prince for Repair.....Back to Tortuga nothing......Percales or whatever to deliver leather; NO Dice!

Too bad you guys can't talk Crytek into letting you use the old FarCry Engine to Create a Real Tropical Paradise Sailing Game.  This is my favorite Genre....always so far behind.  It pisses me off that all of the Big Companies just keep pumping out mindless WW___Land Lubber Shooters and never consider anything like this.
P.S.---I thought U2 were referring to the Sail To: Command

I was feeling pretty confident earlier tonight---that this was the solution......

Now, I'm not so sure.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net//unofficial-fix-for-windows-7-t13699.html

Update---

I thought I had everything figured out.

I installed the 64 bit Tages Program and started a new game from scratch with the Anna can have my Banana Character beginning in Charlestown, Nevis.  I made it to Guadeloupe, then Antigua.  Now I am glued to Antigua.  I would be satisfied if I could just travel between these 3 islands to trade and work on the quests involving them, yet I can't leave Antigua.  I can get half way between the two, yet always have a clear view of Antigua behind me.  I've even tried sailing then checking the map every 1-2 hours or so(game time), thinking it loads in multiple chunks of data.......to no avail.

Are there any ways that quests can keep you at an island?  Or prevent you from going to one?

Perhaps, I still don't understand how to travel properly?

Does owning Particular Maps Unlock Islands?  I've bought every one possible.

Could the progression of a quest inhibit my rate of travel to particular places?

My Ship Trading bidness is faring extremely well, & I've Crewed up 2 Battleships, but I want to solve some quests!

Well.........off to Hunt some Bounty Hunters while checking the Sail To: command to find things......key in on ships that might be quest related or open up uncharted waters.

How do you catch the Ships with the Green Sails (Quest Related?)

mhhh...you can't travel from one island to other in direct sail mode (this you have if you leaves a port)...you have to join the world map (you have a top down view on your ship and you are seeing other ships like the ones with green sails...but all looks nearly the same)
if you sail in direct sail in one direction you can sometimes meet other islands...but you won't find a port or a shore...its because its only a look a like of the island you reach...you have to go to world map and travel their...

of you are not in port you only have to press space... but to be shure you can press return and choose the map entry.

if you have more than one ship you need a minimum of crew to use world map (depends on difficulty you choose at gamestart)...or if you are in a battle then you have to flee to use world map

you will find random quests at ports (bartender, merchants, governors and some citizens will give you quests)

the ships with green sails on world map are the ships you have to find for the random quests...sail after them and press space if you get a little symbol in the upper right corner...then you get a log entry for the relative quest...mostly you have to hunt it down...but sometimes you have sail to the ship and go on board (not grappling) and you have to speak with the captain (depends on the quest)

First of all, I would like to extend my appreciation for the both of you, who have patiently attempted to set my sails back on a strait course.I understand how to turn the World Map on or off with the Enter Key while scrolling with the Arrow Keys---Left and Right to Select & Enter again to Activate the appropriate Option or Command to Ships & Mates..  I usually use the Quick Command Key to go to the Map and to Loot bulkhead doors and chests....etc.

I have tons of Quests, but I can't accomplish any of them because I can't get out of the "Antigua Sea"  (it's title when I try to Save on the way to Nevis--is similiar to this......Anna Deitluview--Antigua Sea...

When I am in World Map Mode, it seems as if I am anchored and not moving at all.  I'm pretty sure you both said I have to travel a while, then use the World Map to scan for ships & to load another 100 square miles......sail 30 or so....go back to the map and plan tacking courses to according wind conditions...etc.

Your not saying that I just stay in world map pointed at an island and wait, battle, then go back to map and wait until forced into another battle.....It appears that I'm Anchored while in World Map Mode and don't progress.  The other ships do, but I'm on the map like a sitting duck waiting for inevitable slaughter.

Perhaps, you could bear with me and give a step by step guide on how to reach Charlestown, Nevis from Saint John's Harbor:

I tried for 28 Days-game time to Help a (Bartender's Quest) Merchant Ship reach there last night, and failed miserably.  We had a loot of great sea battles;-)  Yet eventually seemed stuck in "Open Sea" mode (indicated below the compass).

Also, a step by step of how to succeed in locating the Ship that the Bartender told me would be leaving the Port at High Tide---Full of Gold---Traveling to Basse Terre, Guadeloupe:

I tried numerous times.......It's hard enough to find friendly ships much less quest related ones.  I have lots of---Find my Friend's Ship, While I Wait in the Church Quests, too......I have no clue how I couldn't have stumbled upon one by now!

I'm back to thinking that Windows 7 Compatibility is the problem.  Maybe the Tages Security broke the game and will only let me play enough to get hooked.....yet never accomplish anything.

It has nothing to do with windows 7, I use windows 7 and my game runs perfectly (after updating tages)

What you do is
1. Go to sea
2. Hit Enter and then select map
3. Use the WASD keys to move the ship around the world map
4. Tab to take it off your ship to find another island/ship
5. Sail to that place and hit enter/space

!Thank You So Much!

The first thing I do when playing a new game is reconfigure all key binds to the number pad area.  I've created a u shaped cubbyhole, and my mouse and keyboard are evenly shoulder width apart.

I've never been able to understand why anyone would use the WASD Keys (for those stuck without; at least---an L shaped desk with the drawer pulled out for the keyboard to lay on?)  Once I changed the Key Binds I never imagined that the game config wouldn't release all control to my new NumPad Setup!

Is the an *.ini tweak to change the seemingly concrete keys of the game.  The keybinds are a nightmare!  it drives me crazy when I try to change something it says that key is already in use.....with no explanation of what it is being "Used" for.

Thanks again!

Ironically, it's my long winded and wordiness that delayed my smooth sailing!  I was over analyzing, and ignored my hunch that my initial post ought to be a more concise--- 1,2,3 type question.

Arghhhhh!  Mateys  I'm pumped now......

Confounded arrrrssed WASD Keys!

I guess I can put up with them during the map mode.

I'm gunna poke around the .ini files a bit.  I'd appreciate Key Bind .ini Tips......

Back