• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Can´t save

Wurstkopp

Landlubber
It´s me again. After starting a new game because of my trade issure, after a few saves I´m not able to save anymore. When I try I get the message "can´t save without active profile". Also I´m not able to load a profile.

Stupid accursed profiles system!!! :modding :modding :modding

In the Save interface, DO you see the name of your profile? Because I made some code changes so it does NOT forget the name anymore.
I have seen the problem crop up again anyway myself, so clearly it was still not good enough.

Try this. Open PROGRAM\INTERFACE\save_load.c and find:
Code:
    if(sCurProfile=="" || FindProfile(GetStoryline(FindCurrentStoryline()), sCurProfile) < 0) // Screwface
     {
       bNightmareMode = true;
       GameInterface.strings.NoSave = "You can't save without an active Profile";
       EnableString("NoSave");
     }
Replace with:
Code:
    if(sCurProfile=="")
     {
       bNightmareMode = true;
       GameInterface.strings.NoSave = "You can't save without an active Profile";
       EnableString("NoSave");
     }
And see what that does.

Also, I recommend to use the default profile name if you can.
Deleting the file named "options" from your main game folder and clearing your SAVE folder of files you don't need might help too.

That seemed to work, but I´ll visit Aruba during the next missions. This is the island, where this bug always occured.

Coincidence can look quite consistent at times. Doesn't stop it from being coincidence though.
But you never do know. :shrug

Just had this problem on a fresh install. The reason in my case was garbage after video.brightness in options file. Despite all the measures taken in option_sl.c to "eliminate garbage at end of options file", it's still gets added sometimes when I save video options. I can't reliably reproduce that, though. :confused:

Evil Profiles system. I wished it was easy to remove altogether, but it isn't. :facepalm

only here the location and profile seem to be together (row 815 in save_load.c)

Code:
    string curLocName = "-=" + sCurProfile + "=- " + GetCurLocationName(); // KK
    string saveName = GetClampedSaveName(curLocName,0);

So if the problem really occurs every time at a certain spot this will probally error. So maybe adding a log here to see what happens will solve the problem.
If I understood well after going to aruba you can't save anymore right? Or only after saving at aruba? If its only after saving this piece of code might be the cause because it might screw up somethingin the location name and therefore when the game tries to determine the profile again it can't get it.
Could you check the name of a savegame made on aruba?

As far as I know, only Wurstkopp reported the problem to be related to the island of Aruba.
Jsv didn't mention if it was on any specific island.

I've definitely seen "lost profile" errors all over the place. Completely random as far as I can tell.
I had hoped that saving the profile name in a player attribute would solve it, but apparently that wasn't good enough either.
Because not only does the game need to KNOW the profile name, that profile must ALSO be loaded. :facepalm

No, it wasn't related to any specific island. I was unable to quicksave after starting a new game.

Well quicksave seems to be buggy still .... can't we just disable quicksave and be done with it :S?

We have done that in the past. But then it was fixed and we re-enabled it again.

Not sure what is specifically buggy about Quicksave. Not more buggy than regular save anyway.
The "profiles" system messes things up quite badly and despite both Screwface and my best efforts, it still keeps haunting us. :modding

Every time I try to quicksave (new game) it says "Cannot save without active profile."

Its quite annoying as I pretty much rely on quicksaves because of how damned hard the melee combat in this game is.

Those profile errors REALLY drive me nuts. Screwface and me already tried several times over the years to fix them. STILL no luck.
Try deleting the file called "options" from your main game folder and see if that makes any difference.
If not, remove all savegames from your game that you don't actually need.

Don't use quicksave. Use the real save.

Also, the more characters you have the more likely it is to have problems when saving.

Don't use quicksave. Use the real save.

Also, the more characters you have the more likely it is to have problems when saving.
:yes Just a F1 quick tap with a click on the 'save' icon/bar and you'll have no problems saving your game/with your save(s).
I wonder when will the Esc going to main menu thingy would work as I've seen from other threads. :)

I wonder when will the Esc going to main menu thingy would work as I've seen from other threads. :)
Never. That's one of the first things I tried to implement from the European version back in 2004. I managed it too, but it had unwanted side-effects.
Can't remember what they were, but I think it was related to issues because the same button opens and closes the interface.

Back