• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Capturing cities

Dennisbeard

Landlubber
So... I recently attacked Port Royale and then stormed the fort and then the city and went to the governer. For some reason there is no option to capture the city but only to loot it. What am I doing wrong here?

I had similar problem with another city, because i havent finished one of the quest lines, for which i needed the governor - "Kill the beggars".

<!--quoteo(post=337615:date=Jul 16 2009, 04:45 PM:name=Hypercho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hypercho @ Jul 16 2009, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had similar problem with another city, because i havent finished one of the quest lines, for which i needed the governor - "Kill the beggars".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So you are saying the reason I couldn't capture the city is because of the "Kill the beggers" questline? And that I am now unable to conquer the city until that quest is finished? If so then that is incredibly stupid of playlogic, here I am working hard to make a powerful fleet and then spending god only knows how long to destroy the fort and attack the city and then I can't even take the city? Really?

<!--quoteo(post=337708:date=Jul 17 2009, 02:27 AM:name=Edie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Edie @ Jul 17 2009, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you finish a national quest line for one of the factions?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, I was just trying to go it alone and eventually wanted to capture Port Royale for myself. Do I have to finish a national quest line before I can capture cities?

Also, when I go to the jungle and speak aloud (as the little manual handbook says) and pick to capture the nearest city then my character says that I can't because the fort will destroy my ship. Why does it do this? I have already destroyed the fort and captured it with my troops... everything should be good.
Also, if this makes a difference I picked the Dutch character and made him a Corsair.

<!--quoteo(post=337723:date=Jul 17 2009, 08:45 AM:name=woopypooky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (woopypooky @ Jul 17 2009, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337723"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->looting are better, port royal had 2000 gold and 3000 silver, took me 2 raid to clean it up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe so, but I would like to see what it's like to own a city.

It's nothing spectacular in my opinion and if you are like me, roam the sea for months on end in game before making port, it will be constantly harassed and you'll be making the dash to repel the attack. It won't protect itself.

<!--quoteo(post=337866:date=Jul 17 2009, 08:54 PM:name=Edie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Edie @ Jul 17 2009, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's nothing spectacular in my opinion and if you are like me, roam the sea for months on end in game before making port, it will be constantly harassed and you'll be making the dash to repel the attack. It won't protect itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
What can you do with it? Mostly I just want to check out what it's like... too bad that you can't upgrade the fort and build new cannons and such so that it can eventually defend itself.

Also, is it like in Age of Pirates 1 where there is some sort of interface screen where you can build some buildings? Or what? Is there anything you can do with the city or is it just to collect taxes?

Can't build that I'm aware of? I don't know about the taxes as I've never tried, usually the town is taken back before I've put the effort into going back to it. I don't know what benefits you get out of it really, I just captured for a chuckle, kept defending for a while, got pissed with it and left it to fend for itself.

I'd sort of like to see the ability to buy a warehouse at any given town that your friendly with. All my supplies are stowed on a ship or two, held by the port master.

Was the ability to manage the town added through a mod later on? I don't recall the first one having this in the manual or the box, but then again I never got to play the game with Starforce eating up my DVD-RW drivers.

<!--quoteo(post=337923:date=Jul 18 2009, 04:09 AM:name=Edie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Edie @ Jul 18 2009, 04:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was the ability to manage the town added through a mod later on? I don't recall the first one having this in the manual or the box, but then again I never got to play the game with Starforce eating up my DVD-RW drivers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, it was already in there.

Back