• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Capturing Colonies

NJPGDragon

Landlubber
I thought I'd start a new topic on this subject as laying siege to a fort and landing your troops to capture a colony can result in a huge sense of achievement as well as total disappointment and frustration. My questions are: Can a player capture a colony without being in the service of a nation or the pirate faction? How has colony management evolved since AoP: CT? Can your colony defend itself in the event of a siege or do you still have a time limit to go and rescue the colony from enemy capture? Any other tips and strategies are welcome and will be much appreciated!

The management of colonies is very different from AoP: CT.
1. You can capture a colony only after quest-line national or pirate. Before, you can only sack.
2. The conquered colony can deliver to the nation which have the letter, and thought no more. Or else you keep it for you and appoint a your lieutenant to govern.
3. On the colonies conquered you can not make improvements or reinforcements; for the colonies maintained for you, you can go to the "diplomatic" and pay (2.500.000 - 4.000.000) to prevent the attacks of the nation previous owner.
You can not do other interventions, just periodically draw the taxes collected from your lieutenant.
Effectively, the conquest is not very satisfactory in AoP2.

hmm, when i captured the first colony for myself, i could not appoint a lieutanant so i cant get any taxes out of it :( the residence is empty
any thoghts on why?

For appoint of the lieutanant, you choose a "Fighter" and talk with him, in the Residence.
For the occasion, add as a fighter a Officer with good Authority and Business.

Thanks! i just realised that taxes are like 4000 - 7000 per DAY. :woot i own all the spanish colonies so cha-CHING!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Well reading the topics name, it says tips and strategies, so since i got help, ill give some back xD:

Tips on capturing forts:

1. A lot of the times, your allies are useless, the onbly thing they do is give you renforcements(i misspelled that), so make sure they have a ship with lots of sailors, and a Strong hull.

2. if you have a one of a kind fighter loke john workman or humphrey douglas, that you dont want to lose, feel free to remove him from his post for now. Forts are very confusing inside as there are 3+ levels, and a musketeer can easily take out your special fighters.

3. before you start attacking the fort, save and go to sea mode to see where the fort is located, alot of the times in cities like caracas, the fort is miles from the city and you lose a lot of sailors unnecesarily. Also, check the altitude of the fort, if its on high ground, you need to back away, if its low, move closer.

4. Now that you prepared, you can start attacking, :piratesahoy! like i said above, move to a range that aplies to the altitude of the fort.
a great way to attack, is to do a salvo ( or broadside) once or twice, then spin, so that you shoot with the front cannons, thaen steady the ship, and shoot the other side. this prevents cannons from overheating and exploding( if you shoot realosd, shoot reload too fast this happens), and it also lets you use the front and back cannons.

5. Remeber to save before "boarding a fort" the game automatically quicksaves, but it is always good to be prepared.

6. when the fort is destroyed and you are attacking it, take out the musketeers ( or musketooners :razz ) first. they can easily take you out in one hit if you do not have a good cuirass or lots of health, thay also take out you crew in one hit,
WARNING: be EXTREMELY careful when taking out the musketooners, they are very strong and unless you are at full health they can easily kill you :slap and youll have to start the process again. ( the musketooners are located on an elevated platform, usually next to a cannon, in their own chamber)

7:after taking out the musketooners, then you can start taking out the soldiers, try using your pistols, as it gets very cramped in the fort, and it also helps ypur crew take them out quicker.

8. when entering the city, go to the rear of the enemy. the musketooners will always back up and kill your crew from a distance

9. when you go into the residence, dont let your guard down, there is still a possibility that there are soldiers inside.

10 DONT FORGET to assign an officer to be governor of the colony. you do this by assigning your officer to the fighter slot and telling him. if you dont have an officer you like, exit the residence, assign the officer and go back in. ( THANK YOU for this giocoso!)

11 Also, like giocoso said make sure the officer has high trade and authority to get more taxes per day!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU OWN A COLONY! :woot :woot

dont forget to come backe periodically for your loot erhm... taxes! yeah taxes!

thanks giocoso for the info on the general, cant believe i didnt think! :facepalm

If anyone has more tips, or an edit to the tips, feel free to add them! :b:

A few more tips.

1. Alway's load a lot of planks and sail cloth on your ships before attacking a fort. Will require a very good officer to fill the role of carpenter in less your skills high enough to repair your own ship although its still a good idea to have someone the role of carpenter.

2. Rig your sails because the more sail damage you take the quicker the masts will be destroyed. Lowering the sails does not provent the masts from falling but it reduces the chances a lot.

3. Try to get your ship in a position so that you can sail away if you take too much damage, sometimes letting one of your companions go ahead of you is a good idea. But be ready to jump ahead should he/she take too much damage.

4. Try to keep a distance from your companions because they tend to missjudge things and can end up destroying your masts or bowspirt due to them getting to close.

5. Don't use ships that are weak, (i know obvious) my recomendations are, ships with at least 60 guns or more. If playing with CMV3.1.5 then you might want to think about taking in only MOW's because the forts have 92Ibs cannons mounted.

6. Before leaving port stock up on health and distrubute them between your officer's and purchase the best weapons for them to use. If they can use armour then buy them armour. I tend to store any armour i find onboard ships or on the dead bodies in the chest onboard my ship ready for when either my fighters or myself can use them.

7. Picking the towns to capture will be important because not all forts have the same amount of cannons mounted, some can have as few as 60 while other's can have as many as 120. So my tip would be to load into sail mode close but not too close to be in range of the fort and see how many cannons it has, make a note of them so you can pick your target knowing what your up against before arriving there.

I remember that in AoP: CT you could fire a few salvos of grape shot at the fort before boarding/landing to soften up the enemy forces. Does that still help out here or is it just a waste? I haven't really tried capturing many cities yet, but I always let a few grapes fly into the fort by habit and I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

But What to do if you can't assing gubernator. The order just don't show but you came all the way from taking the fort. :hmm :eek:k :eek:k

Back