• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Capturing fortless towns

vojtaniz

Powder Monkey
I'd like to capture all of the colonies in the archipelago. Would you add some way to capture those that don't have a fort (for example Alice town)?

I'd like to capture all of the colonies in the archipelago. Would you add some way to capture those that don't have a fort (for example Alice town)?
do you have any suggestions on how that would work gameplay wise?

Get the "Landing Party" perk. Then make sure there are no hostile ships anywhere round the island. Be careful when trying to take Alice Town because if there's an enemy ship near Governor's Harbour, you'll need to sink or capture that, which may put you in range of Governor's Harbour fort! (But then, if your aim is to capture all colonies in the Caribbean, you'll have to deal with that fort anyway.)

Get the "Landing Party" perk. Then make sure there are no hostile ships anywhere round the island. Be careful when trying to take Alice Town because if there's an enemy ship near Governor's Harbour, you'll need to sink or capture that, which may put you in range of Governor's Harbour fort! (But then, if your aim is to capture all colonies in the Caribbean, you'll have to deal with that fort anyway.)
So it's in the game already right?
I thought i remembered that too, but been to long since I had any urge to capture a town :p .

Yes, it's in the game, though you need to be level 20 to get the perk. That's because raiding unfortified settlements can make you very rich, very quickly, very easily, as you can plunder the store. Your master at arms can contribute the perk but also needs to be level 20 to get it.

do you have any suggestions on how that would work gameplay wise?
My idea was that killing a governor and/or certain number of guards (let's say 2 or 3) would launch battle for the town in the same way as it happens after you clear all of the fort locations at towns that do have a fort.

Thank you very much for the info. I think that this game deserves its own wiki where all these possibilities would be explained.

Thank you very much for the info. I think that this game deserves its own wiki where all these possibilities would be explained.
Like Grey Roger says we have a wiki, if you are missing stuff on there please let us know. If you want you could help to improve the wiki if you want too :) .

I think that this game deserves its own wiki where all these possibilities would be explained.
If I'm not mistaken, forum members here immediately have the option to update the wiki too.

It is really difficult to communicate the existence of features and how they work to players!

Like Grey Roger says we have a wiki, if you are missing stuff on there please let us know. If you want you could help to improve the wiki if you want too :) .
I would definitely like to help to improve the wiki, but I don't have the info needed.
I do have some (albeit not a lot) experience with programming, therefore I may be able to figure something out from looking into the code but my observation may be wrong since I don't have overall knowledge of the code and the engine. (I use programming mainly to solve math problems. Tried to make a game few times in the past, however, was never able to finish one.)

I would definitely like to help to improve the wiki, but I don't have the info needed.
I do have some (albeit not a lot) experience with programming, therefore I may be able to figure something out from looking into the code but my observation may be wrong since I don't have overall knowledge of the code and the engine. (I use programming mainly to solve math problems. Tried to make a game few times in the past, however, was never able to finish one.)
You don't need coding experience per se, if you make an article according to your best knowledge (by just trying stuff ingame) it will most likely cover like 95% of the stuff. It's a lot easier for the people making stuff to then add only the last 5%. If you first post your things on here we can always give feedback on it. And you can also ask on the forums so we can give info. But it's easier to make a quick post to explain it to one person then to write a proper wiki article that explains is properly. Especially because not all of us are native english speakers.

You can just ask anything you're not clear on here.
We should generally be able to help you to an answer. :cheers

Tried to make a game few times in the past, however, was never able to finish one.
Finishing what you start is not easy.
And a full game is a big thing!

I use programming mainly to solve math problems.
That IS what it's good for, after all. ;)

I use programming mainly to solve math problems. Tried to make a game few times in the past, however, was never able to finish one.

You would be suprised how much of those skills might transfer :). If you use programs like MatLab then the syntax isn't that different from the code used for POTC (biggest difference is that arrays start at 0 instead of 1). And a lot of coding is mostly figuring out logic/math.
If you do some formal math then you could probably do quite some coding for POTC.
I mean if you want to have some fun take a look at the colliders.c file (I believe it's called). Most of the code in there are just math expressions to figure out if a point is in between an area defined by 4 points, or a cirlce etc.

Back