• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

CGM Page 6 - At sea

K

Keith

pg6.jpg

Well...seems like they forgot to tell Sid it's 2004, not 1987... :cheers
Too bad I'm not a `5-year` old kid who likes 3D pirate cartoons...is this a new trend within gamedevs -- to portray pirates like that? I thought POTC looked cartoonish at times, but this...
Sorry, guys, but I think someone must say it -- that kind of graphics (and especially that comic kind of style of it) quite simply....sucks :cheers
They should do something about it, cause Q4 is also Akella's new project's release date and if they really include multiplayer there I'm afraid Firaxis will find it hard to impress anyone despite the "`17-year` itch". After seeing these screenshots I don't feel like itching anymore... :cheeky

I'm fairly confident they'll pull this off. Akella's games may look better, but they don't seem to know the first thing about they time periods they try to portray. Sure do make nice lookin' water though! :cheers

It will be an interesting match up though, as I agree with seabro a bit, in this day and age the isometrical look may be a bit dated, wether or not that changes will be interesting, but i like the way akella has the "real thing" type 3d graphics

Look forward to see some more info in Akellas new project though aswell

The gunshot graphics DO need a little improvement, ut that´s the difficulty with stationary pics versus moving graphics. Often as not, something that looks ugly as hell in pics comes out rather beautifull when moving. Oh, by the way, will there be different kinds of ammunition for the guns like in Port Royale?

I don't mind the graphics so much; I think they look more interesting than Port Royale et al. I agree we are well into the age of 3D, but gameplay is far more important than graphics. If the game is extremely fun and the graphics are decent enough, then it's a good game. So many games these days forget about the gameplay aspect and go 100% graphics. Once the novelty of the awesome graphics has worn off, you realise you're not having "fun".

Yarr, Sampow! Dat purty well sums up Fred Bob's experience wid PotC, wid its clunky interface, sparse quests, an' "sudden death" coming at ye left an' right! Sure hope dat failure/misfortune comes at ye in mo' den one way den death itself in P!2... xD:

I agree, Sampow. Look at how long a lot of us played Pirates! (the original) or Monkey Island - Lonnnnnng after the graphics were dated simply because the game was so much fun! Me, I STILL play "Uncharted Waters"! xD:

yeah as long as the gameplay is fun, i really dont mind if the graphics is a bit "cartoonish". w/ POTC frankly to say, got disappointed. after a good SD1, i was anticipating for the SD2 that they named after the movie POTC.

if i could still get hold of the Uncharted Waters (`1-2`) by Koei and the trilogy of Monkey Island, i would let my kids play it. for this is the game i fell in love with. likewise, im still enjoying the Port Royale and its business like simulation (actually it helps me and my brother in our business, buy low, sell high :p: )

Reminds me of the time I revisited a local amusement park. More `roller-coasters` than I could fetch my eyes on. I'd been on one before, and it was quite thrilling as I remembered it. Since my last visit several years before, the park built this massive, loopy, fast, corkscrewy, `nose-bleed` droppy coaster. I was determined to give it a try. So I waited in line for about 2 hours and after an eternity I was listening to the clicking of the lift as I slowly approached the 1st drop.
Hell of a lot of fun, but suddenly I found myself back at the ramp waiting for my harness to unbuckle just to pass the hundreds of waiting `thrill-seekers` as I made my way to the exit.
Dissappointed with that attraction, I decided to walk across the park to the first wooden `roller-coaster` I'd ever been on. No loops, no corkscrews, no nosebleed drops, but still a lot of fun.

Back