• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Changing Game Music/ Modding tips

Foop my Car

Freebooter
Hello fellow modders, I'm on a project of self-modding COAS and I would like to change the sound files for music, voice etc., but the problem is I don't know how. Much help would be appreciated. So here are the things I need help with:

1) Changing the game music

2)Changing the character's profile picture (eg. replacing Peter Blood's picture with GOF version)

P.s. In the old PoTC mods (I can't remember which), the gunnery officer voice was replaced with a dialogue from Sid Mier's Pirates, I love it and would really like to add it into the game.

1) Changing the game music
Music files are stored in "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC".
The file that tells the game which tracks to use is "RESOURCE\INI\aliases\music_alias.ini"

2)Changing the character's profile picture (eg. replacing Peter Blood's picture with GOF version)
Unfortunately I don't have CoAS installed at the moment.
In TEHO character portraits are in "RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\PORTRAITS"

You can use TX Convertor to find which files you want to replace.
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/Cloud/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip

P.s. In the old PoTC mods (I can't remember which), the gunnery officer voice was replaced with a dialogue from Sid Mier's Pirates, I love it and would really like to add it into the game.
I have no idea about this one as I have never played Sid Mier's Pirates.
But I guess you have to start looking in "RESOURCE\Sounds\Voice", at least they are there in TEHO.

Music files are stored in "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC".
The file that tells the game which tracks to use is "RESOURCE\INI\aliases\music_alias.ini"

Unfortunately I don't have CoAS installed at the moment.
In TEHO character portraits are in "RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\PORTRAITS"

You can use TX Convertor to find which files you want to replace.
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/Cloud/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip

I have no idea about this one as I have never played Sid Mier's Pirates.
But I guess you have to start looking in "RESOURCE\Sounds\Voice", at least they are there in TEHO.

Thanks once again Nameless Pirate!

Btw you've inspired me and I've been quite active around PiratesAhoy! as of late, figured I might as well try modding, eh? Would you like to see the Long John Silver model I ported over?

You may also want to check "RESOURCE\INI\aliases\{X language}\Greetings_alias.ini"

Thanks once again Nameless Pirate!
You are welcome! :cheers

Btw you've inspired me and I've been quite active around PiratesAhoy! as of late, figured I might as well try modding, eh? Would you like to see the Long John Silver model I ported over?
Sure, seeing new people try modding is always nice. ;)

You may also want to check "RESOURCE\INI\aliases\{X language}\Greetings_alias.ini"

You are welcome! :cheers

Sure, seeing new people try modding is always nice. ;)

Thank you!

Here are a few pics... I've been thinking of a project called "Sea Dogs: Legends", and why not add pirates like Ed Thatch, Stede Bonnet and Charles Vane too? I know there is a similar mod "Historical Eras" but I plan for mind to be accessible to everyone and a smaller mod:

"Long" John Silver model, ported from TEHO:

CAS Game 19_10_2020 4_50_14 PM.png
CAS Game 19_10_2020 4_50_33 PM.png

I have yet to change the profile picture, and add in the walk animation from TEHO. But overall I'm quite impressed with what I was able to a achieve.

How do I use the converter? When I access the portraits its in a form of a notepad code...
As @Pieter Boelen said you don't use notepad.
You just open the program and go to the folders that interest you.

The only non text files that I can think of right now that are sometimes opened with a text editor are GM models, when you want to change which texture they use.
Though not any text editor is suitable, you need a HEX editor.
Personally I use Notepad++ and a HEX edit plugin.

Thank you!

Here are a few pics... I've been thinking of a project called "Sea Dogs: Legends", and why not add pirates like Ed Thatch, Stede Bonnet and Charles Vane too? I know there is a similar mod "Historical Eras" but I plan for mind to be accessible to everyone and a smaller mod:

"Long" John Silver model, ported from TEHO:

View attachment 37722 View attachment 37721

I have yet to change the profile picture, and add in the walk animation from TEHO. But overall I'm quite impressed with what I was able to a achieve.
Nice work! :beer:

As @Pieter Boelen said you don't use notepad.
You just open the program and go to the folders that interest you.

The only non text files that I can think of right now that are sometimes opened with a text editor are GM models, when you want to change which texture they use.
Though not any text editor is suitable, you need a HEX editor.
Personally I use Notepad++ and a HEX edit plugin.

Nice work! :beer:
Thanks!

Back