• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Character model speed, blaze devlin

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
Very minor issue, but I thought I'd report it:

Was picking a character model for my new playthrough, and considered using blaze devlin model. Timed it and:

Blaze devlin model is faster at running than normal (about 10-20% faster)

but much slower at attacking with his sword (depending on how many times he does his super slow swing motion with that final flourish movement, versus his quick stab, but he ends up 20-30% slower when timed over 10 attacks).

I imagine this is all a legacy of his having been imported from a different game with different animations, but just in case there is an easy way to adjust model speed.

(much later when there is time for such minor issues :) )

Is character model speed controlled by some setting in a file somewhere? Aside from potentially messing with this, I rather want to increase the running speed of whatever model I do pick (just for my personal use, not for the mod)--a little quicker movement around town would be nice.

Last edited:
I think there is something in the .ani file used for him; "man.ini" and "man_new.ini".

Hmm, one odd thing, most of his animation time is spent with this weird flourish at the end. If I speed up his attack, I think he could interupt his attack after getting the damage and before the flourish finishes by blocking, making him too powerful. The fighting animations just might be too different in nature.

But with your help I found the running speeds, and doubled them for everyone and made them consistent across models, and added to my experimental patch.

Used to be characters would sprint at 3.3 m/s, which is twice their walking speed. That is crazy slow, most people could easily sprint 4x their walking speed. So I brought everyone to 6.6 m/s. That's about half of what the best olympic record is, which seems reasonable.

And it makes doing things around town and exploring the jungle so much more FUN. :) Anyway, will see how it works...

@Tingyun could maybe upload a verison here where the speeds are fixed for everyone but not yet increased.
I do think increasing the running speed is a good idea but I would like to get some feedback first because I can imagine it could screw up a lot of scripte scenes etc

@Levis Sure. The attached file brings the 2 AOP new man and women models into the same run and fight run speed 3.3 and 3.0 m/s as the stock models. archive, with correct folders for ease of use

Attachments

• AOP run speed.rar
    7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Do the character models appear to be sliding now that their running speed is increased?
I think that could very easily happen and would, of course, look very silly. :facepalm

@Pieter Boelen my wife and I both observed it closely, and we both agree that it looks quite natural and good. However, if you were to stare directly at the feet of the character model, and concentrate on trying to measure the exact distance his feet are covering, then maybe there is a discrepency. But we think it looks great when playing now for a little while.

Actually, the old running felt silly to us--people looked like they were running in place because it was so slow, and it felt odd how anyone could sprint so slowly.

Also, clarification: the attached file here is nothing but the two AOP models brought down to normal running speed.

In my experimental patch, I have doubled speeds to 6.6 m/s without sword, 6.0 with sword drawn. I didn't meas with stair climbing speed yet, it makes sense to be slower running up stairs, earlier it was the same.

I love it so far, let's see what people think. On the whole I think the experimental zip is serving its purpose well, letting us try things out. I usually get around 3-5 downloads per update before I take it down and put up the next update (usually the next day or two) so presumably someone is playing. :)

@Pieter Boelen my wife and I both observed it closely, and we both agree that it looks quite natural and good. However, if you were to stare directly at the feet of the character model, and concentrate on trying to measure the exact distance his feet are covering, then maybe there is a discrepency. But we think it looks great when playing now for a little while.
That sounds promising! :cheers

Indeed I only thought it might be a possible problem. But if it doesn't seem to be, then that suits me just fine. ;)

If a lot of people end up being more sensitive than her and I, we could also moderate it, so instead of going 2x to 4x walking speed, just do 3x. I think some version of it will eventually end up proving good for the main mod, but I hope that about most of the experiment (everything except the captain changes, since they will be obsoleted by AI officers). I might be optimistic though, let's see what people who try it say. :)

Back