• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Character Skills Glitch

SessionExpired

Sailor Apprentice
Hello,

Now this will be difficult to explain.. So bare with me please.
On the chracter screen (Which shows you all your Skills, Ship Skills, etc) you can apply points to certain skills when you get Points, Understand what i mean? Thats Normal.

But here's the "Glitch" ( I think it's a Glitch anyway )

When you have points, You can raise a skill
Take Navigation for an example, You can raise that 1 more point up with 1 point,
But if you take a point off (By press the < Arrow on the skill instead of >) and put it back on, It still gives you exp.. Understand?

So, I have 100 Navigation, I take off 99 points so im left with 1. Now i put them back on, And surpise surpise, Theres the glitch, My chracters rank odly raises, even tho i had those points on navigation ealrier, All i did wa stake them off and put back on. Repeating this gives you Ship ability points, To gives you Ship Abilitys, and your rank raises more.

You can do this with Personal Skills also, Giving you Personal Ability points!
Repeating this over and over will eventually give you enough Ability points to get every personal Ability and every Ship Ability.

Short Tutorial:

1) Get some Points to level up skills
(So you get the option to add or remove points off skills such as Navigation / Leadership etc)

2) Chose a skill, and press the LEFT facing arrow < to take points off.

3) Then after you have done that, Put the points back on.
(Make sure you have atleast 1 Spare point to be able to keep doing this)

4)Once you put th epoints back on the skill, Youl begin to level up Rank and such, And recive Ability points! - And also Higher rank!

- Unsure if this is a "Glitch" but it shouldnt happen since it's basicly Cheating.
Please reply if you don't understand and i'll try to make it allot easier to understand, Maybe with the use of Screenshots.

- Please post if you have tried this and if it has worked.

- Please note that you must have atleast 1 point to be able to have the option to Downgrade the skill! / Also Take off atleast 20 points off a skill and put them back on for fast leveling. (I personally take off all points form my navigation which is level 100, and put them all back on. Now i'm currently Rank: 61 with no effrot at all.

- Do not use this if your playing the game honestly, This is cheating.

Enjoy.

Hello,

Now this will be difficult to explain.. So bare with me please.
On the chracter screen (Which shows you all your Skills, Ship Skills, etc) you can apply points to certain skills when you get Points, Understand what i mean? Thats Normal.

But here's the "Glitch" ( I think it's a Glitch anyway )

When you have points, You can raise a skill
Take Navigation for an example, You can raise that 1 more point up with 1 point,
But if you take a point off (By press the < Arrow on the skill instead of >) and put it back on, It still gives you exp.. Understand?

So, I have 100 Navigation, I take off 99 points so im left with 1. Now i put them back on, And surpise surpise, Theres the glitch, My chracters rank odly raises, even tho i had those points on navigation ealrier, All i did wa stake them off and put back on. Repeating this gives you Ship ability points, To gives you Ship Abilitys, and your rank raises more.

You can do this with Personal Skills also, Giving you Personal Ability points!
Repeating this over and over will eventually give you enough Ability points to get every personal Ability and every Ship Ability.

Short Tutorial:

1) Get some Points to level up skills
(So you get the option to add or remove points off skills such as Navigation / Leadership etc)

2) Chose a skill, and press the LEFT facing arrow < to take points off.

3) Then after you have done that, Put the points back on.
(Make sure you have atleast 1 Spare point to be able to keep doing this)

4)Once you put th epoints back on the skill, Youl begin to level up Rank and such, And recive Ability points! - And also Higher rank!

- Unsure if this is a "Glitch" but it shouldnt happen since it's basicly Cheating.
Please reply if you don't understand and i'll try to make it allot easier to understand, Maybe with the use of Screenshots.

- Please post if you have tried this and if it has worked.

- Please note that you must have atleast 1 point to be able to have the option to Downgrade the skill! / Also Take off atleast 20 points off a skill and put them back on for fast leveling. (I personally take off all points form my navigation which is level 100, and put them all back on. Now i'm currently Rank: 61 with no effrot at all.

- Do not use this if your playing the game honestly, This is cheating.

Enjoy.

It seems I understand. This is because you cannot have 0 skill points - no matter how many negative items you have you always will have at leat 1 skill point left. So you take off all your skill points but 1 still remains. Return your skill points and voila - you get +1 skills points; but I didn't know you can take away your skill points at all... do you mean the very first screen where you can adjust your stats?

Edit: Are you sure you are playing the same game as us? Because even at the begining screen you can adjust only base stats but not the skill points.

[/quote]

It seems I understand. This is because you cannot have 0 skill points - no matter how many negative items you have you always will have at leat 1 skill point left. So you take off all your skill points but 1 still remains. Return your skill points and voila - you get +1 skills points; but I didn't know you can take away your skill points at all... do you mean the very first screen where you can adjust your stats?
[/quote]

No, no.

I'm talking about the Ship Skills, Or Personal Skills. Not Capabilities =P.
When you have atleast 1 Point to add onto a Skill:
Leadership, Lightweapons, Medium Weapons, Heavy weapons, Navigation, Accuracy, Etc)
Instead of addign that one skill point onto a skill, Click on one of them, You should se two arows like this: < >
Click the left facing arrow and that skill gets downgraded, And adds another point to you, to pu tit on the same skill or another. (This is normal) but if you take them all off, Then put them all back on, Strangely the system thinks you never took them off, and your just upgrading so it levels your Players Rank, and i tmay give you a Ability point.

Understand? It's hard to explain.

Are you talking about COAS?

As I don't think I have ever had points to spend like that without using cheats. I've just had my skills go up with use...

But, yes, when I added skill points to spend through mods I found you can remove and add them over and over again, and every time counts as extra skill points for personal and ship abilities.

Are you talking about COAS?

As I don't think I have ever had points to spend like that without using cheats. I've just had my skills go up with use...

But, yes, when I added skill points to spend through mods I found you can remove and add them over and over again, and every time counts as extra skill points for personal and ship abilities.

Oh, MODs... some MODs are just cheats. You see - when you use the cheats directly you kinda feel uncomfotable "Bah... am I so bad player I have to cheat?"... but when you are using cheat MODs instead of direct cheating you always can tell himself "Nah, this is not cheating, this is just rebalance MOD"

Nope, no Mods. Lol.
You know when you level up, You get Points, And the amount you have is displayed next to the word Personal Skills. (On your chracter info menu, opend via F2)

Say you have 2 Points to upgrade your navigation skill, Click on the Navigation skill and there should be a arrow that appears on it for you to upgrade it, Also if your nav skill is over 1 there will be another arrow facing left like this: <
So if you click that, youl notice the skill will go down. And youl recive more points (obviously) - Now putting the points you took off that skill, BACK ON the skill, The system will think your normally upgrading, not taking into facct that the points you had were already used before, your just moving them, So it gives you exp when you add the points back on and youl eventually raise your rank.

Go in game, open your chracter menu and try it out if you dont understand.
I'll attach a screenshot in a moment.

Nope, no Mods. Lol.
You know when you level up, You get Points, And the amount you have is displayed next to the word Personal Skills. (On your chracter info menu, opend via F2)

Say you have 2 Points to upgrade your navigation skill, Click on the Navigation skill and there should be a arrow that appears on it for you to upgrade it, Also if your nav skill is over 1 there will be another arrow facing left like this: <
So if you click that, youl notice the skill will go down. And youl recive more points (obviously) - Now putting the points you took off that skill, BACK ON the skill, The system will think your normally upgrading, not taking into facct that the points you had were already used before, your just moving them, So it gives you exp when you add the points back on and youl eventually raise your rank.

Go in game, open your chracter menu and try it out if you dont understand.
I'll attach a screenshot in a moment.
In COAS (english version) you get skill points directly to the skills through using those skills. No way to add or subtract skills points. When you get enough skil points you gain a level or a personla/ship perk - which is the only thing you can add.

Ok i've made a screenshot and colour coded the things i will explain.
This si the order you should look at the things.

1 - RED: A Circled Number, On mine it's 45. - Thats the amoutn of points you can add to your skills, Such as Defense.

2 - BLUE: The Downgrade ( < ) and Upgrade ( > ) Arrows.
( > ) Means Add Points onto the Skill. ( < ) Means Take Points away from the Skil!

3 - PURPLE: The number, or level if you will, That the skill is. In this case, 81.

4 - GREEN: The EXP. Currently: 0/180.

5 - BLACK: Personal / Ship Ability Points. I have 2 Personal / 0 Ship.

Now, If i Downgrade Defense ( < ) to 20, Then Upgrade it back to 81. The system will gives me exp for Upgrading the skill, Without realising that i already took those points off it in the beggining. - After a few levels youl recive Personal/Ship ability points!.

Repeating it, youl end up being able to get every single Ability for your Ship and for Personal.

- Do you still not understand?

EDIT: Hmm, I am in the Debug mode or Developer mode, Just noticed.. Haha. Maybe that has something to do with it. If so, May bad! :shrug

Attachments

• ScreenshotChar.jpg
    ScreenshotChar.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 142
I've been able to cheat skill points in, but I don't remember ever receiving any during the course of the game.

Back