• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Charlestown Port: Stuck Due to Soldier Ambush

Black Iron Oyster

Sailor Apprentice
Just to clarify, I'm playing the 2nd of April version, before your changes to town guards, on landlubber difficulty.

No new reinforcements appeared and became stuck at Charlestown, every door closed, couldn't get back to my ship nor find a gate to the outskirts (think there are none).
Not so lucky, eh? Arr!

I didn't save it there yesterday so I had to redo it today and the same result.

Fought all the guards again. tried going to the tavern and some houses, all closed. Curiously this guard remains at the door of this building waiting for you to come to him. This time in the last reinforcement wave that guard tried to escape me. As before, can't get back to the ship.

Stuck problem 1.png Stuck problem 2.png Stuck problem 3.png Stuck problem 4.png Stuck problem 5.png Stuck problem 6.png

Save attached, right before the fight with the guards started.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Nevis. Charlestown Port. June 14th, 1750.rar
    640.6 KB · Views: 262
@Black Iron Oyster: Indeed I confirmed you get stuck there.
I may have an idea of why it happens: It might be related to the Curse of Cortez interfering with the Soldier Reinforcements.

To know for sure, I'd ask you to do two tests:
1. Try your savegame again, but during daytime when the curse isn't in effect
2. Try one of the stock game towns (say, Jamaica) during night

If my suspicion is right, then the problem will always occur when killing soldiers, but only at night.

Last time we had a problem of "getting stuck", one of the soldiers was hidden in a spot where you couldn't access him.
But that doesn't seem to be the case now, because:
Code:
Character placed on goto27
::: QUESTMOVIE: StartQuestMovie func call
Equip Character Dougal Meiklejohn with blade28-1 his nation: 0 blade nation=
Character placed on goto17
Equip Character Duane Toller with blade27+1 his nation: 0 blade nation=
Equip Character Michael Pingree with blade27+1 his nation: 0 blade nation=
Equip Character Hamond Partridge with blade49-1 his nation: 0 blade nation=
All normal locators to place a character on.

@Pieter Boelen, I just made the tests you asked and the results where the following:

- Charlestown at day: After fighting all waves of reinforcements and the soldier standing in front of a building, I guess it is a naval academy or something like that, the dock was locked (couln't get back to my ship), as was every other building in town. Interestingly, I could speak with the street vendor and bought more bandages. The guards killed every armed person in the streets, probably bandits, only one unarmed citizen remained and he didn't run from me in fear, I could speak with him normally.
- Port Royale: Both at day and at night (in transformed shape) I could get back to my ship, even with guards chasing me. As expected, the citizens and vendors didn't talk to me in fear. Rys Bloom attacked me, I killed him and the other day when I came back, he was substituted by Brendan Legh, wich had the same dialogues and probably could get hired in the same way.

Stuck problem 8.png Stuck problem 10.png Stuck problem 14.png

I've taken more screenshots, but some of them had more than 2MB, including the one showing Charlestown at day. In this one, instead of the ship icon there's a lock icon.

PS: Just noticed one thing, in Charlestown, the icon spells "Sea", while in Port Royale it's "Ship". By the results, the problem must be with non-vanilla cities, and probably has nothing to do with the Curse.

Lucky cap'n sounding more like cap'n obvious eh? Arrr!

Last edited:
Just to remember you, my version of the game is the 2nd of April one.

[Off topic] Pieter, your in-game book, "Boelen's Algebra", if you made this title making a reference to "Boolean Algebra" it was a pretty nice and smart joke! :onya

Somebody else added that book. But it's a good joke indeed. :cheeky

So you got stuck the same way during daytime in Charlestown too?
Indeed that suggests the problem is something else than I thought.

Will see what I can do....

Extract attached to RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\Town_Charlestown to fix. That seems to help.
I also moved the guard locator by the Naval Academy so he won't be "stuck" there and can actually move.

For some strange reason, on your savegame, he immediately DOES too!
You may require these console commands to calm him down:
Code:
   LAi_SetGuardianType(characterFromID("Nav_soldier_1"));
   LAi_SetGuardianType(characterFromID("Nav_soldier_2"));
   ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Nav_soldier_1"), "Charlestown_port", "goto", "goto27");
   ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Nav_soldier_2"), "Charlestown_port", "goto", "goto28");

Anyway, I have been unable to replicate the problem again after making this change, so I'm calling this Fixed. :doff

Attachments

• Charlestown_l.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 275
Back