• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Chinese location and ship discussion

carmenara

Pandora's Kitten
Storm Modder
No news on the junk, so let's add some (possibly near) future discussion:

Far Eastern Pirates expansion?

In the 15th century onwards there were some incredible naval battles between Korea and Japan. Korea fielded large, durable, slab-sided shallow-draft ships called panokseons heavily armed with cannons, while the much lighter Japanese ships had just a handful of cannon (likely chasers only) but were very fast and relied on boarding assaults to attain victory. They carried numerous arquebusiers. In response the Koreans constructed turtle ships with roofs studded with iron spikes to prevent boarding outright (possibly the first ever armoured ships in history?)

In Japanese home waters there existed as well huge floating fortresses with full-sized land structures (pagodas etc) on top. These were exclusively oar powered, being far too heavy for sailing.

Likewise Chinese naval power in the day was not to be trifled with; junk-type sails with semi-rigid ribbing were easy to sail both against and with the wind; while famous admirals such as Zheng He commanded treasure fleets led by massive flagships;

800px-Zheng_He%27s_ship_compared_to_Columbus%27s.jpg

That's Santa Maria in the foreground!

Chinese ships of the 17th Century were remarkably graceful and "galleon like":

ZhengHeShips.gif

Oh...

Shall such model was ever introduced into a game and fps on my computer would drop to something like ~0.5...

pirate_kk

The only chinese ships I want at the moment are IRF Junks and then later if we do add more chinese locations add other varieties of chinese ships

Current wants are irrelevant when the objective is discussion of possible future needs.

Well at the current time they arent a future need :no

Unless we get Chinese locations it would be VERY VERY weird to see those ships :shrug

People in the East Indies must have once found it wierd to observe Spanish and Portuguese ships hovering off their coasts. Chinese ships have operated within the same theatre on a regular basis.

I believe shutting down my discussion before it even starts is an act of bad faith.

Im not shutting your discussion down Im just saying atm we dont have chinese locations so it isnt historically accurate.

You have come back saying East Indies, this is my point. We dont have East Indies, we have the West Indies :shrug

And plus this topic is on Junks in production, therefore that is what the topic should be about and not get off topic. If you want to discuss Chinese locations and ships start a new topic :shrug

Would it be nice to, in the future, go Chinese with the mod? Sure. Arabian would be fun too.
There's so many things that could be done; so many opportunities with the game left unexplored.

I think what Captain Maggee tried to say, and I would agree with him,
is that we just went Beta and we should try, at least to some extent,
to focus on getting things done, rather than diverge and start all sorts of new things.
Of course new things can still be discussed and even done; that's up to everybody to decide for him-/herself.
All I mean is a shift of focus from brainstorming/development to finishing.

But still, discussion on anything could be fun, stimulating and might lead to great things.
As long as they fall within the realm of what we can do, they might even become a reality some day.

Hit half the nail on the head Pieter, that is one of the reasons why...

The other reason was trying to keep the topic on topic, I have now moved this topic so feel free to continue discussion, I have chucked in my 5 cents worth already.

Again SWS just cause I say something doesnt mean it will happen, that is just my opinion and the only reason why I was trying to stop it was for the sake of not being a mile off topic. I would love to see Chinese locations and ships in game but at the current time it is a lot of work to do it right or it would be historically wrong :shrug

Although the ideas of you are interesting SWS, I agree with the rest of the modders that it is not a good idea to start with those with so many things still unfinished. If you would move to Coas after finishing build 14, we would have an easier job with adding additional land locations: CoaS islands are placed with code, not fixed in the worldmap model like in POTC.

I personally like the idea of getting oriental locations and vessels in game. I do agree that there should be some division of where they show up and in what kinds of numbers. Otherwise I'm all for it.

I'm also real interested in getting the map expanded quite extensively, preferably modeling out the entire world and making it sailable from 'real-time' viewpoint.

But thats just a dream for now.

Cap'n Drow

All that reminds me of Patrician III where you could send ships to areas not covered by the map hoping that the expedition will gather exotic products.

Ships would not always have a safe trip, some would be destroyed by tempest.

Maybe this can be modded, where players send their ships on the edge of the screen to go to Spain, France, East indies, etc...

I agree. I posted a mod idea a long time ago suggesting maybe we could get storm engine to incorporate more than one map with a "hyperlink" area to pass between them. Have you seen the way they implement the world map in Empire Total War? There's boxes on the edge of the screen and when you sail into one you select which part of the world you're sailing to. This just makes so much sense to me. At the time of the post everyone said how hard that would be to do without the source code and storm engine. Well..... now maybe someone could take this on. Would be so ubercool!!!

MK

I think the plan is to implement multiple world maps soon, I still think it would be quite tricky to do even with the source code, but I think now that we wont have to cut corners it would be a better result :yes

Back