• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved civilized with enemy captains

Lucas Santana

Landlubber
I really can not access this option, every time I meet an enemy captain he curses me and we leave for the fight.
I could access this option but now I can not anymore, every time on every boat happens the same thing
some help?

What are your "Leadership", "Melee" and "Grappling" skills? Do you have the "Professional Fencer" and "Iron Will" abilities? What sort of ship do you have, and what are you trying to capture?

The first thing checked is a total of your "Leadership", "Melee" and "Grappling" compared to the captain's total. Then the system checks if he has both "Professional Fencer" and "Iron Will", and you do not. If the enemy captain outclasses you on either skills or abilities then he thinks you're a weakling and will fight. This has always been the case; the only change I made is that items which give bonuses to skills are taken into account. Enemy captains never have these but you might, so this ought to make it less likely that he will fight. Note that only your personal skills and abilities are checked because you alone are on the enemy quarterdeck; it does not matter if any of your officers have better skills or abilities. Again, this has always been the case.

The other reason an enemy captain will fight rather than surrender, which is new, is if the enemy ship is significantly bigger than yours. You're not getting a tier 4 galleon while commanding a tier 6 sloop of your own without a fight!

Other than that, the only changes I've made are to make the captain more likely to surrender. If your ship is significantly bigger than his, he'll definitely surrender regardless of skills and abilities, so you won't have to duel if you're the one in the tier 4 galleon and he's in the little sloop. And if the ship surrendered while you're still sailing, as opposed to part way through a boarding, then it's raised a white flag and an honourable enemy captain will always surrender, unless he's in the much bigger ship. But if he's cursing then he's not an honourable captain because honourable captains (those with good reputation) have different dialog texts if they choose to fight.

The other time an enemy captain will fight is if you try to hire him as an officer and you have lower "Leadership" than him. Once again, this has always been the case.

Back