• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Collisions/Positioning

Derkylos

Landlubber
Is anyone else experiencing problems with collisions occuring when there is no possible chance that the colliding ships actually made contact? I've had things run into each other while at least a pistol shot apart. The involved vessels tend to spin uncontrollably, move sideways and suffer from random loss/gain of speed.

I don't think there is actually any damage done, and it usually occurs after boarding and scuttling a ship, however, I have occasionally experienced it whilst running a smaller craft alongside a man-o'-war (for my elite crew assaults...).

Not only does it look bad, but it can also result in finding myself in a tactically unsound position (right in front of a rack of 45 32-pounders is a good (bad?) one...).

I think there's some ships that don't have the correct collision detection in their GM files.
If you could keep track of which ships have the problem, we can see if we can get a Modeler to re-export them and hopefully fix it.

I recognized the same problems with 1st rate man o wars. It occurs often when I fight 1st rate vs. 1st rate and there is really a lot of space between them!

Ships which I have noticed to be problematic so far (note: it's not the easiest thing to test, as collisions require 2 ships, so I don't know which ones are the broken ones...):

1st rate Man-o'war
3rd rate Man-o'-war (the variant with 4 bow chasers, very broken, also has lots of problems with moving around the deck in 1st person sailing view)
Flying Dutchman ("Cursed Galleon" variant)

Also, most ships when sinking, even if not running underneath floating ships, will tend to push them sideways (this is probably the most pertinent issue, as it can easily defeat a cunning plan to destroy superior enemy fleets).

The ships sinking probably still think they are ontop of the water, so they have the same collision data (this is only a guess)

I would have to disagree, as I have had frigates run underneath me (cutting off all their masts-rather amusing...) It's the ones that sink next to you that seem to cause the problems.

Back