• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Commander - Conquest of the Americas

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I just bourght "Commander - conquest of the Americas" today, haven't installed it yet because i want to finish the work i'm doing on CMV3.2 first, i just wanted to know what its like and is it better than EIC?

Last edited:
Wow this games really popular, makes you think is it really worth installing now. If i knew it was this popular i wouldn't have bourght it. xD:

I'm interested in getting a copy, but too darned broke for it right now. Looks pretty fun.

Cap'n Drow

From what i've read over at http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=499 this game is seen as been a improvement on EIC but there are still things that need doing better. There forum seems to be dead or slowly dieing which makes you question if the game really worth it. Some mods have been relesed for the game but as to how they effect gameplay i don't know. I'm not even sure if i should install the game.

One thing i hate about the new games these day's are they run through steam so if you uninstall the game you have to download it through steam and to me that is stupid because (not saying it will) but if steam goes down one day then everyone with games that use steam will be screwed. Or what if the game is no longer supported. I know they're trying to stop people from uploading games for other's to get for free but a quick search and you can see some games that are on steam have already managed to be uploaded and from what they say they fully work and the comments seem to support that.

Not trying to say its right for people to upload games for other's to get for free or that people should get there games that way but the facts are there current plans do not work, there will alway's be someone out there that finds a way to break the copyright protection and get the game to work and then upload it, doing what they are doing might make some people think twice about downloading it but how many people care, look at the sims 3, that was leaked although i think that was just a way to get more interest rather than someone stealing the game and uploading it, but they found a back door that stopped the game from calling home as it was put which would detect if the game was lagit or not.

I would much rather buy a game and know if i get bored of it and uninstall it i can reinstall it many years later and still play it, like Stronghold 2 (very addictive game and still going strong online). FSX is another such game that i have and will one day play again with all the guy's over at my own forum (if it was on steam though it would be like is it worth reinstalling and going through all that waiting again.

Back on topic though, this game does look to be better than EIC and the comments made on that above site do suggest improvements, i say i don't know if i should install it but i will no doubt do so one day, perhaps wait and see what they release in patches or perhaps a expansion pack first.

I helped Beta test this game. Better than EIC? Yes in some ways it is better, in other no change. The economic model is more developed. You have to found colonies and develop the available resources and build your own defenses. The auto trading model is much easier to use and you can define multiple ports of call along with buying and selling different items. It is easier to link fleets together for protection. They have introduced the concept of coastal vs ocean going vessels.

The ability to simply blockade the other players into bankruptcy is nearly taken away. There are few natural choke points such as Cape Town. Unlike EIC you do not get to see the other players home ports and the game area stretches from Hudson bay to about half way down South America.

The Tactical battle portion of the game is the same as EIC, a few tweaks regarding fleet control.

I think if they combined the maps of the two games and made it a world wide type of game, with weather and several more layers of zoom they would have quite a game on their hands. By zoom I mean the granularity of the map. In EIC and C:CotA the fleets can see too far. It is not very realistic for a single fleet to be able to blockade the southern tip of Africa. I would love to see the map get bigger so the ports are farther apart.

Just my two cents.
Greg.

I'd like to hear the washup after a fair amount of gameplay, to me it just comes across as another EIC I was not impressed with a schizophrenic game. Either trading or fighting never the same...

Picked this game and EIC Collection for a paltry $7.50 each. Did not figure I could go too far from wrong.

This was ok for a short time, just like Patrician 4 though, its collecting dust on my shelf. However I have installed this game a further 2 times, so maybe one day I will sit down and play it for longer than 4 to 5 days.o_O

Which game are we talking about here? I can't seem to figure out the subject here. o_O

Commander - conquest of the Americas. I will update the title to show the name (can't edit the title of the thread).

Back