1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Completely Crazy Idea for Writers

Discussion in 'Promoting the Game' started by Pieter Boelen, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Have you ever heard of Cracked.com? It is a humour website that features a lot of surprisingly interesting articles on a VERY wide variety of subjects.
    I always like visiting it to see what new fun stuff they've got on there.

They are asking for everyone to give it their best shot at writing some stuff for them:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-easiest-money-youll-ever-make-honestly/
    Apparently, they even pay good money for it.

Now here's my crazy thought: So why not write about pirates and history?
    And drop in some notes about our project here? The other writers there tend to self-promote some of their own stuff too.
    A LOT of people visit that site, so we could get ourselves a LOT of publicity.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively, now that we've got some nice screenshots and even video material, we could put a more active promotion campaign out there.
    Write to game magazines and website to tell them about our work; post on various forums too.
    We have had PotC: Build 13 featured in a Dutch magazine before. We could do it again!!!

Luke McReady likes this.
  2. Luke McReady

Luke McReady Freebooter Staff Member Coordinator QC Advisor Quest Writer Creative Support

hmmmm rather interesting... let me check it out

3. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Possibilities abound:

"99 Things People Get Wrong About Pirates/Ships/Maritime History/Seafarer Stories thanks to Films/Games/Books" *
    * = Less than 99 may also be acceptable. :wp

Here are some pirate-related articles they already did:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19353_the-7-most-terrifying-pirates-from-history.html
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20448_5-ways-pirates-were-way-more-modern-than-you-realize.html
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19482_6-absurd-pirate-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html
    http://www.cracked.com/funny-111-pirates/ (this one: not the best :oops: )

Clearly they're not opposed to pointing out the reality of pirates. All we have to do is to do the same.
    Offers the opportunity to point out the glaring crazy stuff from Assassin's Creed IV as well, for example.

4. Luke McReady

Luke McReady Freebooter Staff Member Coordinator QC Advisor Quest Writer Creative Support

Hey dont be hatin on AC IV i love that series xD

Although it highly pisses me off that youre not a pirate but a Navy Hunter lol

5. Pieter Boelen

If you have seen my posts in our AC 4 thread, you'll see that I don't hate it.
    As far as I can tell, it looks like a lot of fun and they managed to do a lot of things I'd like to see in HoO as well.
    But its supposed "realism" is extremely cartoon-y. That's not necessarily a bad thing though; cartoons can be fun. :yes

6. Luke McReady

I was just playing with you.

im getting it in a week when the PS4 comes out, but ive played it for a lil while. It's an extremely intriguing story. but its a bit like a Legendary Character with superhuman abilities.

But fun as all get out, and a great game. ACII, AC Brotherhood, and AC Revelations actually taught me a good bit of Italian... mostly cuss words, and how to insult people... but then again i think that's all Italian peple really do so i say im pretty fluent :rofl

7. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Shipbuilding Coordinator Staff Member Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

I like the idea! It might be somewhat far-fetched, but its worth a shot! I do remember how cracked loved how badass oliver hazard perry's name was. http://www.cracked.com/article_19403_the-10-greatest-uses-trash-talk-in-history-war.html but it would have to be executed just right, and on the right topic within our broader genre. I have yet to meet another college student who doesn't read cracked.com, and most of my high school friends did too. It has a huge potential for exposure! however, it would have to be written with delicate attention to the audience. None of the usual "ermagherd no one knows the difference between a spritsail and a sprit-topsail" people around here such as myself often express-basically we cant be afraid to omit some historical detail for the sake of making a joke.:yes

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Armada likes this.
  8. Killerjoy96

Killerjoy96 HoO Team Member Provisional 3D Artist

ICT
    In which dutch magazine has it been featured Pieter?
    I'd like to know so I can look it up..
    I like the idea of promoting through such a website since all publicity is good, right?

9. Pieter Boelen

It was PC Gameplay in November 2007.

Here is my translation of the article:
    I used to have it posted on the ModDB as well, but I cannot find it now. And I've got no clue where my scan of it went.
    Must still have the actual magazine somewhere in my room, but I don't really know where either. Ugh. :facepalm

10. Pieter Boelen

YES! Found it!

Attached Files:

Armada likes this.
  11. Luke McReady

Might be a long shot mates bu what about trying to see if a couple of popular "Let's Players" on youtube would play our Mods of POTC (or CAOS) and advertise HoO? might be difficult but might be worth a shot

12. Killerjoy96

Killerjoy96 HoO Team Member Provisional 3D Artist

ICT
    Let's Players need something to play i guess.. :wp

13. Diperscitus

Diperscitus Samuel Storm Modder

Life Science and Technology Student
  14. Pieter Boelen

Definitely worth a try for PotC and CoAS. We've got a couple of Let's Play series on PotC: New Horizons:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7FF06024E674901
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0034BC13BF1A49DD

And one on CoAS: Gof:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB478292B0DED36D9

The old CoAS: Combined Modpack:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC23104FFBED7AE1

And a German PotC one:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4596392C4D579396

If we try EVERYTHING, we've got to eventually succeed on at least a couple of them, no? :cheeky

fjx and Luke McReady like this.
  15. fjx

fjx . Promotion Storm Modder

I also posted something at a Polish youtuber's video here:
    In mentioned video, he says that he wants to make a New Horizons let's play but hardly knows any English, so I posted some info there.
    Excuse me, cause I posted it at HOO section, but you were talking about other games too...:oops:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    Pieter Boelen likes this.
  16. Pieter Boelen

So how about that thought from the opening post? Can anyone come up with some "common misconceptions"?
    I'm sure @Post Captain knows LOTS of them! And he would probably LOVE showing how ridiculous they are!
    And how about @Luke McReady? @Dario? @Radetzky? @Marion van Ghent?

17. Luke McReady

God this seems like so long ago, I forgot about it lol.

One I can think of is that Blackbeard was a psychopath that shot his own men to keep them in line. He never actually did that. Though I always heard that he did shoot one of his mates in the leg during a card game lol.

18. Marion van Ghent

Marion van Ghent HoO Team Member QC Advisor

I think part of the problem is there are so many misconceptions... hard to know where to start! :facepalm

19. Pieter Boelen

We wouldn't have to cover all of them. Just around 4-8 would do.
    And if we have a lot left, we can just make a "Part 2" article later on if the first one ends up successful.

20. Radetzky

Radetzky Confirmed landlubber QC Advisor Quest Writer Creative Support

Well it definitely sounds like a great idea! Just the very first days I am here on the forum I already learnt many new pieces of information (for example yesterday the crow nest discussion), but I admit before I came here I always concentrated more on the land combat, so there is much to learn for me, even in the matters of basic facts (that is also why I mostly concentrated my research on land matters, that will only be usefull later for the game). Mostly it's stuff I randomly read somewhere, such as the Vikings, contrary to popular belief, were clean, combed their hair and washed way more than locals. Not exactly Age of sailing then. I totally agree with Marion's notion, such state is sadly in every period and intensifies in the last two centuries when propaganda came to play (lots of prejudice against CSA, Russian empire, etc.). The roots of this are surprisingly already in school system.

EDIT:
    On the matter of Let's Plays, I am sure there would be some that would gladly try it out, as indie games are popular even among those who have thousands of subsribers. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014