• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Converting to Windows Ten

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Ahoy Mateys,

I have finally have replace my desktop with a windows 10 machine. I am looking for a any advice, hints and tips about installing and playing the game in Windows 10 thanks as always.

Ahoy there @Jason and welcome back in these waters!
Always good to see you around again. :cheers

I myself upgraded my 13-year-old Windows 7 laptop up to Windows 10 last week.
I expected trouble, but in my quick tests so far, everything works like it always did.

This seems to be the most common issue:
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware
With RivaTuner (I believe) the most commonly suggested solution.
But so far, I didn't even need that.

Pieter one more question did you install the game directly on the C drive or in program files?

Pieter one more question did you install the game directly on the C drive or in program files?
I put it in "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean" as I usually do.
Didn't even "install" it as I just copy-pasted my previously-working game folder from an external HD.

Definitely DON'T install in "Program Files".
Always causes Windows Security Stupidity (WSS).

Always causes Windows Security Stupidity (WSS).
xD That's an official diagnosis from now on. ;)

And yes, installing to Program Files has caused my POTC to not install properly. If not run with administrative permissions, older game installers will often be tricked by newer versions of Windows to install (part of) their files into the wrong place when installing to Program Files. And even if you successfully install the game with administrative permissions, it doesn't mean that the game will run fine without them.

To avoid problems and hassles like these, it's best to install older games like POTC directly to the C drive (in a Games folder). In fact, most games will be fine with this approach, even newer ones.

This applies to Win 7, 8, and 10 equally.

Where you will encounter difficult problems with older games in Windows 10 is mostly with the graphics. Microsoft has been dropping certain old rendering APIs/features from DirectX with their Windows updates, and this has caused many games to break, or slow to a crawl. Sometimes there is a fix (by reverting a particular Windows update, or the developer/community updating the game), and sometimes there just isn't any. :bonaparte

Last edited:
Well two problems, one is clearly of my making. I can't seem to remember how to install the December update. Where do I extract it POTC or program files?

Also while the game works I can't save anything. I can get to the save menu,select save. but it won't save.

Well I appear to have gotten the update in but now the new game won't start. game won't. Sorry to keep asking I always thought of my self as a competent user.

Well two problems, one is clearly of my making. I can't seem to remember how to install the December update. Where do I extract it POTC or program files?

Also while the game works I can't save anything. I can get to the save menu,select save. but it won't save.
You install it where you installed the game, which should not be Program Files.

Well I appear to have gotten the update in but now the new game won't start. game won't.
Not being able to write a save file is related to permission issues. If you have installed the game to "C:\Games\[POTC]", try running it with administrative permissions. See if that makes a difference.

Thank you Cerez. And now the start game screen is frozen. I make changes in the Free Play page and when I click the Start game nothing happens.

Last edited:
Thank you Cerez. And now the start game screen is frozen. I make changes in the Free Play page and when I click the Start game nothing happens.
Can you share the .log files from your main game folder?

This sounds familiar.

Two things I can think of:

1. Share with us the log files, as Pieter has rightly suggested. That will give us a clue as to what is causing the game to freeze/crash on your system when starting a new game.

2. Move/Delete your current save and options files and start fresh:
Solved - Freezing on startup

Some game updates are not compatible with older saves, and you did just update your game. :beer:

Last edited:
Hi gang,
I don't find a .log file in the main game folder. I have uploaded the current error log. I have deleted the options file.

Attachments

• error.log
    152 bytes · Views: 160
I don't find a .log file in the main game folder.
Huh? Where did that file come from then...?

Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sound\alias.c; line: 32
Invalid function call
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sound\alias.c; line: 32
function 'Alias_Init' stack error
I believe that happens when you enter the Options menu before starting a new game.
That's pretty harmless though and, as far as I'm aware, shouldn't cause you any trouble.

So here is the latest. I did a clean install and the game is working fine now except, there are some places where it runs very slowly, frame rate? ‘This occurs any time I scroll left to right, inventory, traders, etc. Any ideas on how to fix this.

So here is the latest. I did a clean install and the game is working fine...
I'm curious, what do you mean by "clean install"? Not to Program Files?

The frame-rate problem is a modern DirectX API compatibility issue, and it can be fixed with RivaTuner and/or dgVoodoo (2). @The Nameless Pirate is your best guide with this, as I, too, learned from him. ;)

Last edited:
At least to my understanding, a "clean install" is where you start by installing from CD and then add the mods. The alternative is to update an existing install by running the mod installer or copying the update archive onto it. This may not work so well, especially if you expect to use a savegame from the existing install.

Thanks for chiming in and sharing. That makes more sense (if this is what @Jason meant).

The alternative is to update an existing install by running the mod installer or copying the update archive onto it. This may not work so well, especially if you expect to use a savegame from the existing install.
From a software developer's viewpoint, this is our worst nightmare. I would strongly recommend against this approach in any user (or developer) case! This method of installation leaves so much room for error that it isn't even funny -- from settings and saves to assets and libraries.

If not doing this is what a "clean install" means, then I would recommend for a "clean install" every time. Anything less than is just too chaotic and messy to deal with, and near-impossible to troubleshoot. Software are generally not built to be this resilient. This method goes against design -- against how most software are built and work.

You should always start by newly installing the core software, then adding to it the plugins and mods -- preferably one by one and test-running the software, so you know when things break at which mod/plugin it happens, and which combination of additions is responsible for causing the mess (as there are often some mods that don't work well together).

Last edited:
Back