• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Correct display of rank titles and names

I've installed the latest update - at least, it was the latest until you created the next one while I was trying out the 9th August one. ;) So I've moved Pellew's promotion lines myself. Also, I've removed him as a passenger at "arrive_Charlestown" and added him again at "At_War_with_France_Again". Pellew is supposed to leave the ship while you sail to Bridgetown to collect Quelp and Bracegirdle, then rejoin the ship before it goes off with Justinian to attack the Temeraire, so he shouldn't be in your "Passengers" list during the Bridgetown trip.

"Sir Hew Dalrymple_dialog.c" needs a slight change. At "Why_we_are_here2" there is 'dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[21] + GetMyFullName(PChar) + DLG_TEXT[22];' which results in him saying "That may be so, Midshipman.. Midshipman Horatio Hornblower, isn't it?" 'GetMyFullName' probably now needs to be 'GetMySimpleName', if that will return the name without the rank. (Alternatively "Sir Hew Dalrymple_dialog.h" could be edited to lose the "Midshipman", but then it also loses the ".." pause as Sir Hew takes a moment to remember the midshipman's name.) There will probably be more like that.

The bug hunt continues... (And I may have something to add to the end of the storyline - no promises yet, though. ;))

I've installed the latest update - at least, it was the latest until you created the next one while I was trying out the 9th August one. ;) So I've moved Pellew's promotion lines myself. Also, I've removed him as a passenger at "arrive_Charlestown" and added him again at "At_War_with_France_Again". Pellew is supposed to leave the ship while you sail to Bridgetown to collect Quelp and Bracegirdle, then rejoin the ship before it goes off with Justinian to attack the Temeraire, so he shouldn't be in your "Passengers" list during the Bridgetown trip.
Nice! Will you upload your changed files today?
I was thinking of making another EXE installer and might as well include that if you have it.

"Sir Hew Dalrymple_dialog.c" needs a slight change. At "Why_we_are_here2" there is 'dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[21] + GetMyFullName(PChar) + DLG_TEXT[22];' which results in him saying "That may be so, Midshipman.. Midshipman Horatio Hornblower, isn't it?" 'GetMyFullName' probably now needs to be 'GetMySimpleName', if that will return the name without the rank.
Ah, that would happen yes. :facepalm
We can also exclude the rank name from "full name" if you think that is better, but I figured that if we're getting the full name, we might as well get the full name.

Yes, I'd agree that full name should include the lot. Just as long as there is one version which will return the name alone and one which includes rank and, for preference, title as well. Presumably it's also possible to extract just the rank or just the title, so that by using 'SimpleName' plus separate rank and/or title it is possible to have the dialog use whichever parts in whichever combination is appropriate at the time.

Yes, I'd agree that full name should include the lot. Just as long as there is one version which will return the name alone and one which includes rank and, for preference, title as well. Presumably it's also possible to extract just the rank or just the title, so that by using 'SimpleName' plus separate rank and/or title it is possible to have the dialog use whichever parts in whichever combination is appropriate at the time.
Yup, that can all be done.
FullName does ALL, SimpleName does only your name. You can always use part of the FullName functionality in front of SimpleName to get extra stuff. :yes

A quick examination of the contents of the new installer shows that the above version of "quests_reaction.c" has been included but "Sir Hew Dalrymple_dialog.c" has not. Anyone else playing "Hornblower" is therefore liable to find Sir Hew still calling him "Midshipman.. Midshipman Horatio Hornblower". ;)

A quick examination of the contents of the new installer shows that the above version of "quests_reaction.c" has been included but "Sir Hew Dalrymple_dialog.c" has not.
It wasn't? I did put it in the folder. Maybe it wasn't in the installation script.
Will be corrected in whatever version I post next.

Please add this one as well. Originally Keene called 'GetMyFullName' in 'case "First_orders", which would previously have resulted in him calling you "Mr. Horatio Hornblower" and now has him call you "Mr. Midshipman Horatio Hornblower". Even the first version is a bit too formal and the current version definitely so, therefore I've replaced it with 'GetMyLastName' so now he calls you "Mr. Hornblower".

There will probably be more soon...

Attachments

• Captain Keene_dialog.c
    2.7 KB · Views: 81
Please add this one as well. Originally Keene called 'GetMyFullName' in 'case "First_orders", which would previously have resulted in him calling you "Mr. Horatio Hornblower" and now has him call you "Mr. Midshipman Horatio Hornblower".
Would be funny if he called you "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower". That is the exact title of the first book. :cheeky

True, but if the boss addresses you with that level of formality, it probably means you're in deep trouble. The rest of Keene's conversation seems relatively friendly; he sees Hornblower's transfer to Indefatigable as a good thing, not a punishment, and says so. Elsewhere, other junior officers are addressed by hard-coding in dialog.h files as "Mr. Kennedy", "Mr. Bush", and on occasion "Mr. Hornblower", so it seems that the surname alone, preceded by either "Mr." or rank, is the normal form.

I haven't had anything to do with C. S. Forester - the one time I tried to start "Hornblower" in cheat mode, I didn't find him, mainly because at that time I didn't know I had to look for him. But if there's one dialog which should refer to "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower", that's probably it. Therefore...

Attachments

• C.S. Forester_dialog.h
    977 bytes · Views: 90
There will probably be more soon...
Here's the next batch. All had Hornblower introduce himself as something like 'DLG_TEXT[9] + GetMyFullName(PChar) + DLG_TEXT[10]', where the first 'DLG' includes "Midshipman", causing Hornblower to refer to himself as "Midshipman Midshipman Horatio Hornblower". I've replaced 'GetMyFullName' with 'GetMySimpleName' in all of them. (Twice for "Sir Edward Pellew_dialog.c". There's another occasion, during the briefing before the Martinique beach battle, when Pellew introduces Hornblower to Wellesley and without that replacement he's likely to refer to "Lieutenant Lieutenant Horatio Hornblower".)

Attachments

• Lt. Uriah Quelp_Dialog.c
    12.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Antigua_dockyard.c
    3.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Sir Edward Pellew_dialog.c
    33.8 KB · Views: 100
Here's the next batch. All had Hornblower introduce himself as something like 'DLG_TEXT[9] + GetMyFullName(PChar) + DLG_TEXT[10]', where the first 'DLG' includes "Midshipman", causing Hornblower to refer to himself as "Midshipman Midshipman Horatio Hornblower". I've replaced 'GetMyFullName' with 'GetMySimpleName' in all of them. (Twice for "Sir Edward Pellew_dialog.c". There's another occasion, during the briefing before the Martinique beach battle, when Pellew introduces Hornblower to Wellesley and without that replacement he's likely to refer to "Lieutenant Lieutenant Horatio Hornblower".)
Thanks! :cheers

Also: Thread moved to main Bug Tracker again because clearly it wasn't as "Fixed" as I had hoped. Getting there though. :onya

@Grey Roger played through the entire Hornblower storyline with the latest changes to rank titles and posted corrections for all the errors he encountered.
Therefore I am considering this now "Fixed".

Back