• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

corrupted cd

Darth-me

Landlubber
Hi all, some of you may remember me, I used to post relatively often here, even if I never did anything useful.

I've recentley decided to get back into this game (again), and try alpha 10. However, when I first installed the mod, I forgot to run runme.bat after installing several earlier builds. I then ran the ones that were in the game's folder, but AFTER installing alpha 10. I tried playing the game, and at first thought that it was ok, but recently started to find a few bugs. Most were too small for me to remember, but I have found a few horrible ones, for example where i can't enter the main section of Port Royale (trust me, i've tried a lot of times). I was going to reinstall everything, which i assume requires me to reinstall the game. Out of fear of the installation not working, I tested the cd on another computer, and quite a lot of files are failing (all adjacent in the installation (there are big scuffs on the cd)). So, my questions are:

1) Is being unable to enter the centre of Port Royale a known bug in the latest alpha, or is it my installation?
2) Are the Falais De Fleur Exit and port files, and douexit.gm, replaced in the mod? They are the ones that can't install so far, but I'll post a complete list when I get it.
3) If not, would anyone be able to send me the files that don't install (when I have a complete list)

I know I have never contributed much to the build mod, but I would be incredibly grateful to anyone who could help me.

On a slightly lighter note, I was wondering how easy it would be to write up the much needed descriptions of ships and paint schemes for the shipyard interface. If no one has finished or is working on this, I might take this on as a bit of a project, although I know I am very unreliable.

I will post a complete list of files that don't install when I can.

That error certainly does not sound normal. When does it occur? Or always?
When you try to go through the gate, do you get the "gate closed" icon and/or "knock, knock" sound?

If you've got a list of missed files, we can certainly get those to you.

If you'd be willing to write up some ship descriptions, that would certainly be welcome.
We probably have to modify the interface a bit though so each ship gets its own interface picture.
Not sure yet how to handle that.

Ok, cheers. yeah, I get that bug EVERY time I enter the main section of Port Royale, from whatever direction.

I used to post relatively often here, even if I never did anything useful.

Your patronage is always welcome. And oh you wouldn't have seen me, I wasn't born yet xD:

"When you try to go through the gate, do you get the "gate closed" icon and/or "knock, knock" sound?"
In any case, it's definitly not normal. :facepalm

Oh, sorry :rolleyes:
I enter the gate perfectly normally, the load screen shows, and then the sound and picture are there for a fraction of a second, before an error comes up (can't remember it now, something to do with runtime? definately run-something.) In fact, I'll find out.

EDIT Ok, it says:
"runtime error

...\...\...\engine.exe

abnormal program termination."

Ok, now to reinstall

Ah! That does make a lot more sense. If you get such a problem again, please enable error logging:
- Open "engine.ini" in your main game folder.
- Find the "debuginfo = 0" line and change it to "debuginfo = 1".
- Start the game and wait until the error occurs.
- Now find compile.log, system.log and the possible error.log in your main game folder.
- Post their contents in on the forum

lucky i found something interesting to read on the internet, otherwise I would already have re-installed.

Ok, I only found system.log, is that ok?
it says:
Scanning current directory
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\Core.cpp line 364
no 'engine.ini' file

Does that help? Thanks for the help btw.

Uhm.... no. I hate that message, because it's weird.
Do you REALLY have no engine.ini file?

Oh god, so you don't know what it means? What do you suggest? Do you reckon it's my installation, or something else?

Well, I'll leave it until tomorrow (a bit late now, it takes a while to write down every file that fails (or does it make a log?)), and then hopefully some kind soul will send me the files I need. So far they all seem to be location models (falaise de fleur to be precise), but it could go on to other sections of the game files. At first, the installation failed almost immediately, but I noticed some large, white marks on the back of the cd. I washed the disk with water, rubbing from the centre to the outside, and now it gets almost halfway through before getting errors. Luckily I can skip files, but i may try washing it some more.

Worth a try. I don't think there's a list created of failed files.
Once you have a list, post it here and we'll help.
Once you've got the game working again, put all files safely on an external HD or something!

It's easier to just install the game and save the installed files.
Saves you the trouble of installing altogether the second time around.
You can ZIP up the files (7-Zip is the recommended program) if you have to save filesize.

This is getting really annoying now. Just found a backup of the game, but it's got alpha 8 installed. I've already uninstalled the game, so I'll have lost all the registry stuff or whatever that's needed to play the game right? But yeah, if not, can I upgrade easily from alpha 8 to alpha 10?

There is no registry stuff :D

Update to Alpha 9, then 9.5 then add patch 4 and once you have done that you can easily update to Alpha 10 LIGHT

I guess trying to go from 8 to Alpha 10 FULL may work (BACKUP and give it a try maybe)

oh cool, I still have the installers for alpha 9.5, patch 4, alpha 10 light and the fix. Now just need to download alpha 9 - the big download, which I managed to delete (stupid me, recent recycle bin clearing was a bad idea). Is there a light version of alpha 9?

Back